News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project...Pro Street Daytona clone

Started by hotrod98, May 02, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

This past year me and a couple of my friends bought six speed RT Challengers. I decided to buy a set of the sequential kits from Web Electric that were made specifically for the Challengers  Of course, the other guys had to have them for their Challengers so I ended up installing two more sets. They work great but every great once in a while they start flashing very fast. The next time you use your turn signal they start working correctly. Very strange.
I'll probably rob the set out of my Challenger to test in the Daytona clone.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

That's cool. Maybe a little too extreme for my plans though...lol

Charles Addams

Howie

that pro daytona was out of St Louis I heard and the owner shot me an email a while back. Not sure where it is now. Has a blown injected 392 in it. Got the magazine article at home.

Baldwinvette77

This sounds pretty neat but if it were me, i would hunt down whoever made the f&f daytona fiberglass nose, and get one of them instead of cutting up an original, But i like your idea  :popcrn: looking forward to it  :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I have a fiberglass Superbird nose that Donc made for me a few years ago. It would actually look more like the F&F nose. I still might consider using it. But, I really want it to look more like a Daytona front end and my buddy has a steel nascar nose that a friend of his made a few years ago. I don't have a problem cutting it up. Besides, it would be much easier to mount the custom headlamp mounts in a steel nose. I'm not trying to copy the F&F Daytona entirely. Just using the mods that I like.

Some of the mods on the F&F are strictly movie prop type mods. I have a pic of the interior of the car and the mufflers are in the back floor where the passengers normally sit. I bet that would be a little loud.

My 392 hemi showed up today. One step closer.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 07, 2013, 04:51:01 PM
I have a fiberglass Superbird nose that Donc made for me a few years ago. It would actually look more like the F&F nose. I still might consider using it. But, I really want it to look more like a Daytona front end and my buddy has a steel nascar nose that a friend of his made a few years ago. I don't have a problem cutting it up. Besides, it would be much easier to mount the custom headlamp mounts in a steel nose. I'm not trying to copy the F&F Daytona entirely. Just using the mods that I like.

Some of the mods on the F&F are strictly movie prop type mods. I have a pic of the interior of the car and the mufflers are in the back floor where the passengers normally sit. I bet that would be a little loud.

My 392 hemi showed up today. One step closer.
larry your my hero   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Baldwinvette77

Mufflers in the back seat?  :scratchchin: theres an idea

Old Moparz

At the Rhinebeck car show this past Sunday I saw an old car that mounted a 3rd brake light in the rear window with suction cups. I thought it was a good idea but didn't bother getting a closer look to see how the wiring was set up. After searching online I see there are a few examples floating around.....
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 08, 2013, 07:03:58 AM
At the Rhinebeck car show this past Sunday I saw an old car that mounted a 3rd brake light in the rear window with suction cups. I thought it was a good idea but didn't bother getting a closer look to see how the wiring was set up. After searching online I see there are a few examples floating around.....

Hey Bob, which car was it?
I was at the Rhinebeck show on Sunday .

Old Moparz

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 08, 2013, 10:19:37 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on May 08, 2013, 07:03:58 AM

Hey Bob, which car was it?
I was at the Rhinebeck show on Sunday .

I don't know, I just happen to notice the brake light as I walked past the car. I think it was an older car in the car corral area. It was running & the guy had his foot on the brake.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

hotrod98

The thing is...I think that a great many of the rear end type accidents could be avoided with something as simple as a bright high mounted taillight. Those old factory taillights are very dim and people tend to look at the upper part of the car in front of them as they drive behind them. A few years ago I had a friend buy an all original, low mileage 73 Cuda. He let his son drive it to school every day and that lasted about two weeks. A young girl rear ended the car and destroyed it. What a waste. She said she didn't see his brake lights come on.
There was a red pro touring 72 Cuda at Monster Mopar a few years ago and he had a third light integrated into the roof just above the back glass. Looked very good. I plan to do that to my 71 Cuda.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 08, 2013, 12:22:11 PM
The thing is...I think that a great many of the rear end type accidents could be avoided with something as simple as a bright high mounted taillight. Those old factory taillights are very dim and people tend to look at the upper part of the car in front of them as they drive behind them. A few years ago I had a friend buy an all original, low mileage 73 Cuda. He let his son drive it to school every day and that lasted about two weeks. A young girl rear ended the car and destroyed it. What a waste. She said she didn't see his brake lights come on.
There was a red pro touring 72 Cuda at Monster Mopar a few years ago and he had a third light integrated into the roof just above the back glass. Looked very good. I plan to do that to my 71 Cuda.
this one has a blinding  LED strip across the top of the the roof line and also across the deck lid back lip

when driving around branson at night you could see the damn annoying thing for miles  when he braked .

Old Moparz

Some of the newer vehicles have the 3rd brake light incorporated into the rear spoiler that's very narrow. The housing is almost invisible since it's blended into the rear edge. On a dark colored vehicle it even harder to see until it lights up. The horizontal portion of the Daytona or Superbird wing is pretty narrow, but I can't help but wonder if there is an existing brake light housing somewhere that could be grafted into it. I sure wouldn't do it to an original wing, but an aftermarket one would be a good candidate.

Maybe the next wing that Dane gets cast at the foundry will have a pocket cast into it for a brake light housing.   :D

This pic says it's a Hummer 3 light.   :shruggy:

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/mikecook.htm
               Bob                

pandamarie

dont mean to hijack your thread but if you want 15 meters of led strip lights that can be cut every 3rd light go to www.usautolights.com I pay 30 for a 15 meter strip. they have a self adhesive backing and are weatherproof. Tons of uses for them. stick them behind your bumper and when you hit the brakes the whole back of your car will light up. Got mine at SEMA show last year, they also sell 1157 and 1156 led bulbs cheap.

hotrod98

I've had the car for just over a week and I'm just now getting around to taking it off of the trailer. I've been ordering parts for the project all week. I was very glad to see that Dane was making another batch of wings. My deposit is already in the mail.
I've gone over the car to kind of get a game plan together. I'm going to remove the new full quarters that have only been welded in a few places. The previous owner installed new outer wheelhouses but the inners aren't all that great. I ordered new inners from AMD earlier this week and they're already here. I'll alter them and go ahead and mini tub the car while I have everything apart.  I'll post a few pics as soon as I can get the time to get the car inside and on a fixture. I also ordered a new tail panel. I'll alter it to receive the new Challenger taillights. Pics later on that as well. I'll order a set of U.S. Body frame connectors and hope to get the Alterkation stuff ordered in the near future.
I've made my decision on the transmission. I have a fresh 727 that has a street/strip valve body and I have a new TCI street fighter convertor. I'll add my Gear Vendors overdrive and use a Hurst Pro Matic shifter. I'll change out the shifter handle for a shortened E-Body handle and use my GVO pistol grips with the built in button to use overdrive. I'll build a custom console or possibly order a new body style Charger console. I want an arm rest and cupholders...lol
I've owned several manual transmission cars and currently have my 4 speed bird and my 2009 six speed Challenger so I won't miss clutching and shifting one little bit.
Still no decision on the color but I'm leaning towards black on black on black. Black glossy paint, satin black Hemi hood decals, satin black wing and rear stripe, black Sparco R505 seats, black Sparco steering wheel, black Sparco street harnesses, silver Autometer gauges, Classic A/C, Electric Life power windows and locks, shaved handles, painted 70 style e-body mirrors and lots more modifications.
I plan to narrow the rear bumper and tuck it in tight to the body. I won't need the reverse lamps in the rear valance since the Challenger taillights already have a reverse lamp.
Meanwhile, I'm ordering the parts that I need to get started. I've learned to not order everything up front because then you have to store the stuff. keep it from getting lost or damaged and remember what all you ordered already.

I have to mention that last night I was in my garage and started looking at my Superbird. For a minute, I started thinking about pulling the six pack motor out and sticking the 6.4 Liter in and be done with my project. Then the idea faded away as quick as it came.

Here's another pic of the car right before unloading it and a pic of the pistol grips with the GVO button.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteI've had the car for just over a week and I'm just now getting around to taking it off of the trailer. I've been ordering parts for the project all week. I was very glad to see that Dane was making another batch of wings. My deposit is already in the mail.
I've gone over the car to kind of get a game plan together. I'm going to remove the new full quarters that have only been welded in a few places. The previous owner installed new outer wheelhouses but the inners aren't all that great. I ordered new inners from AMD earlier this week and they're already here. I'll alter them and go ahead and mini tub the car while I have everything apart.  I'll post a few pics as soon as I can get the time to get the car inside and on a fixture. I also ordered a new tail panel. I'll alter it to receive the new Challenger taillights. Pics later on that as well. I'll order a set of U.S. Body frame connectors and hope to get the Alterkation stuff ordered in the near future.
I've made my decision on the transmission. I have a fresh 727 that has a street/strip valve body and I have a new TCI street fighter convertor. I'll add my Gear Vendors overdrive and use a Hurst Pro Matic shifter. I'll change out the shifter handle for a shortened E-Body handle and use my GVO pistol grips with the built in button to use overdrive. I'll build a custom console or possibly order a new body style Charger console. I want an arm rest and cupholders...lol
I've owned several manual transmission cars and currently have my 4 speed bird and my 2009 six speed Challenger so I won't miss clutching and shifting one little bit.
Still no decision on the color but I'm leaning towards black on black on black. Black glossy paint, satin black Hemi hood decals, satin black wing and rear stripe, black Sparco R505 seats, black Sparco steering wheel, black Sparco street harnesses, silver Autometer gauges, Classic A/C, Electric Life power windows and locks, shaved handles, painted 70 style e-body mirrors and lots more modifications.
I plan to narrow the rear bumper and tuck it in tight to the body. I won't need the reverse lamps in the rear valance since the Challenger taillights already have a reverse lamp.
Meanwhile, I'm ordering the parts that I need to get started. I've learned to not order everything up front because then you have to store the stuff. keep it from getting lost or damaged and remember what all you ordered already.

I have to mention that last night I was in my garage and started looking at my Superbird. For a minute, I started thinking about pulling the six pack motor out and sticking the 6.4 Liter in and be done with my project. Then the idea faded away as quick as it came.

Here's another pic of the car right before unloading it and a pic of the pistol grips with the GVO button.

it's sounds kick ass. just don't sell it when it's almost finished like the last one  :slap:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 11, 2013, 05:22:22 PM
QuoteI've had the car for just over a week and I'm just now getting around to taking it off of the trailer. I've been ordering parts for the project all week. I was very glad to see that Dane was making another batch of wings. My deposit is already in the mail.

it's sounds kick ass. just don't sell it when it's almost finished like the last one  :slap:

I didn't want to sell it but it was the only way that I could have enough cash to buy my Superbird.

Charles Addams

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

hotrod98

Quote from: 41husk on May 13, 2013, 11:14:08 AM
Im glad you did!!

It means a lot to me that you have enjoyed the Daytona clone. When I was building it, it never crossed my mind that I would end up selling it even before I had completely finished it. It was bitter seet finishing the car after the sale had been made.
I'm hoping that this new project will take away some of the seller's remorse that I have from selling it. Maybe.  ;D

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Quote from: Howie on May 07, 2013, 11:41:26 AM
that pro daytona was out of St Louis I heard and the owner shot me an email a while back. Not sure where it is now. Has a blown injected 392 in it. Got the magazine article at home.

I saw that daytona at the nats it was Wally Edlers

392 thats what was in it
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597