News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Petty drove a '70 Dodge Daytona? F & F 6

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, May 11, 2013, 10:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Indygenerallee

:lol: Gotta love disinformation even coming from Ralph Gilles!! Gotta wonder how much weight they have in the trunk when it pulls a wheelie!! My guess is they have some sort of removable bar that goes from the frame down to the axle that makes it solid so the car won't bounce, then bolt weight plates into the rear (like they used in the General for ballast)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Budnicks

yeah you would think Ralph would know the Dodge history a little better, but it's for F&F 6 advert. so a little misleading lies doesn't hurt anyone...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

WINGIN IT

Well hopefully those are interested in knowing more about the history of the Daytona search out the true history of the car.  I think the "BANNED FROM NASCAR"  message is something that'll draw enthusiasts to know more about it , if they don't already.  :Twocents:

So who's going to step up and give Ralph a call and straighten him out on the history? 
I vote3 Doug?  :D

Daytona R/T SE

Ok.

My opinion:

The shortened wing looks like shit.

The snubbed nose makes it look like it's already been slammed into a bridge abuttment.

It's got a chevy engine, does wheelies on command...

And everything those people just spewed out of their mouths about the "history"

Of the Daytona was utter bullshit.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Sad part is...

Everybody is going to start asking me when I'm going to paint my car maroon and shave my head.

:flame: :flame: :flame:

pettybird

Petty drove the former #30 Marcis car dressed as a Winston promo-mobile in a parade lap once like 7 years ago.  I guess that's close enough.

JB400

It sort of disappoints me that the head of SRT doesn't really know the history of his own company's racing highlights.  The late 60's and early 70's was the pinnacle of Mopar racing.  I really like what Ralph is doing for Chrysler, but sit down and read a little about the history of the company to get the facts straight.   He should have mentioned the car set world land speed records.  That would have been more impressive than saying Petty drove it. :Twocents:

I'll watch the movie, but it'll be when it's on HBO and there's nothing else on tv worth watching.

thehemikid

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 11, 2013, 11:14:05 AM
:lol: Gotta love disinformation even coming from Ralph Gilles!! Gotta wonder how much weight they have in the trunk when it pulls a wheelie!! My guess is they have some sort of removable bar that goes from the frame down to the axle that makes it solid so the car won't bounce, then bolt weight plates into the rear (like they used in the General for ballast)

...and hanging pretty far out the back too.

mauve66

and he said that NOW the movie makes the car ICONIC, what the hell was it before he got his license, a station wagon wannabe???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Baldwinvette77

I wont lie, i like everything about it except the rear valence, it looks naked without a bumper and bumperettes, just a painted fiberglass one would have worked  :shruggy:

Daytona R/T SE

I'm glad this monstrosity gets smashed at the end.   :flame:

I'm hoping it will also burst into flames with pickle head "Dom" in it.  :flame: :flame: :flame:

That Charger would have been better off going out in style with the Stars and Bars on the roof...

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

At least we know that with the General Lee...

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

This F&F "thing" is the second worst movie Mopar ever...

Right behind that "Wheels of terror" P.O.S.

cdr

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 11, 2013, 04:58:48 PM

I'm hoping it will also burst into flames with pickle head "Dom" in it.  :flame: :flame: :flame:

That Charger would have been better off going out in style with the Stars and Bars on the roof...

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

PLEASE,PLEASE tell us how you really feel  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: cdr on May 11, 2013, 06:08:36 PM

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

PLEASE,PLEASE tell us how you really feel  :icon_smile_big:

Sorry, I was holding back a little. ;)

Aero426

It's not bad that the car is out there getting exposure to the young'uns.   But it is embarrassing that Gilles does not know the history.   

odcics2

Just because WE love these cars doesn't mean others do.  In fact, most don't know they even existed...    Some have heard of a Road Runner.   A few know there was a Charger with "only 2 doors".   I was questioned: "How do you get in the back?"   The guy was serious!    He had NO idea the seat flipped forward! When told he said, 'That's not safe!"

If you get away from folks interested in cars, it gets even worse...      :eek2:   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pettybird

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

sounds like a fitting end to all clones.

Budnicks

Quote from: pettybird on May 13, 2013, 10:59:07 AM

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

that was funny, but I would go quite that, far of an extreme...  :shruggy:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on May 13, 2013, 10:59:07 AM

Flying over the creek...

Air horns blaring.

It can, in real life...

ACTUALLY FLY...

Once. ;)

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :nutkick: :nono: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :nono: :moon:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Benji

They built seven of them, wrecked four of them in the filming so three survived.  They had GM engines/trannys and Ford differentials.  :rotz:

Ben

Mike DC

Do you guys really think Gilles didn't know, just because of that little fact fudge?  He was giving them sound bytes for an action movie.  

The average teenage moviegoer is too young to remember September 11.  They're already having to guess that "Richard Petty" must be some important car guy.  Cut them some slack.   If Gilles had stated the exact facts, they would have been wondering what an old musclecar has to do with that rock where the Pilgrims landed.    

Plenty of 40-50yo automotive journalists make the Daytona/Bird mistake on a regular basis.    Plenty of others know better but speak of the two cars interchangeably.  Not everyone on earth is a wing car nut.  

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 13, 2013, 03:04:50 PM

Do you guys really think Gilles didn't know, just because of that little fact fudge?  He was giving them sound bytes for an action movie.  

Yes, I believe he did not know.    The "Richard Petty drove a Daytona"  quote backs it up.

He could have simply referenced the car as "The Dodge Daytona was an iconic blah, blah, blah" and left the year out.

Aero426

Gilles: "The Daytona was designed for the high speed race".     

This sounds like a quote you'd hear in the movie Idiocracy.   

Mike DC

I have no idea whether Gilles knows the correct fact or not.  But I would not assume that a person in his shoes doesn't know just because of that quote. 

I don't think you guys realize how far back & obscure this stuff is to a modern kid.  It terms of pop culture in general, the 1990s are fast becoming retro-cool for teenagers these days. 

Gilles is pitching an action movie featuring a vintage version of his product line.  Even if you told them the facts, 99% of the general public would probably think it's an understandable fudge for him to have made right then and there. 

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 13, 2013, 04:37:59 PM

I don't think you guys realize how far back & obscure this stuff is to a modern kid. 

It's obscure even to a lot of old kids.   :smilielol: