News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Petty drove a '70 Dodge Daytona? F & F 6

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, May 11, 2013, 10:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

Being a "Ford" guy, I can remember similar discussions some 15 years ago about a made up ugly looking "Shelby GT500" being used for the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.
Most thought is was going to kill the genuine Shelby market, and in fact it was the opposite.   

Look what that car did for Shelby's, Mustangs and muscle cars in general. It sparked a huge interested from "non" car people and the youth, all wanting to know what this car was, and THEY WANTED ONE!

Hopefully this "Daytona" will spark interest and knowledge from the youth about winged cars and carry on the collectibility of these cars.
Its great to see that the Fast and Furious movie makers always use a piece of American muscle as their main feature car. I shows that the next generation is interested in these cars as I think the movie makers know what they are doing.    .

My 2 cents

Gary 
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Indygenerallee

Granted there is a bunch of mods done to this "CLONE" But FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY PAINT IT SUCH A HORRENDOUS COLOR!!!!!!!!  :rofl:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

QuoteHi

Being a "Ford" guy, I can remember similar discussions some 15 years ago about a made up ugly looking "Shelby GT500" being used for the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.
Most thought is was going to kill the genuine Shelby market, and in fact it was the opposite.   

Look what that car did for Shelby's, Mustangs and muscle cars in general. It sparked a huge interested from "non" car people and the youth, all wanting to know what this car was, and THEY WANTED ONE!

Hopefully this "Daytona" will spark interest and knowledge from the youth about winged cars and carry on the collectibility of these cars.
Its great to see that the Fast and Furious movie makers always use a piece of American muscle as their main feature car. I shows that the next generation is interested in these cars as I think the movie makers know what they are doing.    .

My 2 cents

Gary

As soon as I saw the first spy pics of the modified maroon Daytonas for Fast Six, I thought of the customized 1967 Eleanors.  It's a similar case of taking a classic and trying to visually update it to keep the appeal. 

I dunno if these Daytonas will age as well as the silver Eleanors from 2000 have.  Maybe, maybe not.  (Wing cars never really made it on their looks, not in 1969 or today.)  But IMHO this appearance in Fast Six couldn't do anything but help the Daytona's legacy.  It's a cool, hip, high-tech movie and it portrays the car as still being very badass today.  You can't argue with that. 

hotrod98

The only real modification that was done to the F&F6 Daytona that I plan to do to my new clone is to shorten the fenders and nose. I think that really cleaned up the front end. The wing cars are freakishly long in my opinion. Just look at one in profile. What I like about my bird is the fact that it is all one color and it doesn't look as long as a bird that has a vinyl top.
Even wingcar lovers themselves comment negatively every time they see a long nose transplanted onto any other model of car. It's just that we've gotten used to these cars looking like this over the years.
I drove my bird to a big local show last Saturday and driving through the sea of cars lined up on both sides of the narrow road going into the show area was a little nerve racking. I just can't tell where the front of the nose is. I can definitely see where the car would be easier to drive and park with the nose a foot shorter.
You have to admit that the original wingcars were very poorly planned and engineered. The headlamp setup alone is a heavy, ill fitting, poorly operating contraption that could have been made much simpler if the engineers had been given proper time to design it.
Having said all of that...I love my Superbird just the way it is. And, I think it being all black makes it look shorter than most birds.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Mike DC

QuoteEven wingcar lovers themselves comment negatively every time they see a long nose transplanted onto any other model of car. It's just that we've gotten used to these cars looking like this over the years.

QuoteYou have to admit that the original wingcars were very poorly planned and engineered. The headlamp setup alone is a heavy, ill fitting, poorly operating contraption that could have been made much simpler if the engineers had been given proper time to design it.

Yeah, we see the original wing cars through heavily rose-tinted glasses.  

The wing car program made cars faster by abandoning all styling concerns.  Hollywood makes cars look more stylish by abandoning all engineering concerns.  It's literally the exact opposite mindset.    

We're lucky they decided to try to portray the wing cars as cool cars in 2013 at all.  We're even luckier that they kept their onscreen versions at least recognizable next to the originals.  

Chevy motors & Ford axles -

It's frustrating but it could be worse.  At least this modification isn't part of the fictional storyline.  And the filmmakers have never claimed that it was done to make the cars any faster than stock.  

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 14, 2013, 01:06:00 AM
The only real modification that was done to the F&F6 Daytona that I plan to do to my new clone is to shorten the fenders and nose. I think that really cleaned up the front end. The wing cars are freakishly long in my opinion. Just look at one in profile. What I like about my bird is the fact that it is all one color and it doesn't look as long as a bird that has a vinyl top.
Even wingcar lovers themselves comment negatively every time they see a long nose transplanted onto any other model of car. It's just that we've gotten used to these cars looking like this over the years.
I drove my bird to a big local show last Saturday and driving through the sea of cars lined up on both sides of the narrow road going into the show area was a little nerve racking. I just can't tell where the front of the nose is. I can definitely see where the car would be easier to drive and park with the nose a foot shorter.
You have to admit that the original wingcars were very poorly planned and engineered. The headlamp setup alone is a heavy, ill fitting, poorly operating contraption that could have been made much simpler if the engineers had been given proper time to design it.
Having said all of that...I love my Superbird just the way it is. And, I think it being all black makes it look shorter than most birds.

Interesting.....

Some very valid points. The birds beak is a bit un-user friendly.

To me......the beauty was in it's purpose. I go with form follows function. Aero cars, are about the ultimate in that aspect.

But......I've been curious for years how it would look......shorter. Really looking to see what you do here, as I do not like much of anything about the F+F car. Color, interior, wheels, just does not do anything for me. It's hard to get a feel for how a shorter nose would work. Be interesting to see as someday I want to do a clone.....

Will be watching :yesnod:

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on May 13, 2013, 03:30:05 PM
Gilles: "The Daytona was designed for the high speed race".     

This sounds like a quote you'd hear in the movie Idiocracy.   

Welcome to Costco.  I love you.

hotrod98

This pic that Dane posted previously gives you a pretty good idea as to how much shorter the F&F6 Daytona is.

Charles Addams

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 13, 2013, 07:30:06 PM
(Wing cars never really made it on their looks, not in 1969 or today.) 

If this isn't beautiful, I don't know what is.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 14, 2013, 09:37:13 AM
This pic that Dane posted previously gives you a pretty good idea as to how much shorter the F&F6 Daytona is.

I did see that pic, and it's a good comparison.

I just find it hard to get past the rest of the car.....and honestly, it's likely more the context of the [jmo] stupid movie that makes so hard to be objective. Yours will not have that automatic negativity to me.

So I will wait and watch what you do :popcrn: ....it will be at least 2 years before I could even start. A lot of time to learn as much as I can, decide just what I want and go from there.

And thanks in advance, I'm sure I will pick up things from your build that will save me time, $$$, and aggravation. :yesnod:

Mike DC

QuoteIf this isn't beautiful, I don't know what is.

Hey, no fair, coming back with a pic like that!   :drool5:

But you know what I'm getting at.  By the time they were selling the Superbirds in 1970 they had run out of interested buyers.  And modern replica conversions & retro wing cars have never been big sellers.  (At least not at 1:1 scale.)  

Baldwinvette77

heres what i think, gilles is trying to sell dodges, not vintage plymouths, i think he simply said petty drove the daytona to associate dodge with an iconic name, i mean hell, the clip is uploaded by dodge, in another video, they call a 1970 road runner from the 3rd movie a dodge  :Twocents:

Budnicks

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

yeah that's a thing of beauty all right  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

A Race Daytona Makes It !   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

mauve66

but the guy they were interviewing is the HEAD OF SRT at MOPAR, how do you get a job without knowing anything about the companies products and history??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: mauve66 on May 14, 2013, 05:48:50 PM
but the guy they were interviewing is the HEAD OF SRT at MOPAR, how do you get a job without knowing anything about the companies products and history??

My newest boss doesn't know dick about what we do.

But...

He talks about sports he's watched on TV.

He goes to the right church.

He plays golf.

That's all he needs to know. :Twocents:

hotrod98

A few years ago, I bought about 3,000 shares of stock in an up and coming new company. They hired a new CEO that knew nothing about their products. He did know a lot about taking exotic vacations and buying the very best homes and cars. My stock is now worth about 1/10th what it was originally.

Charles Addams

Aero426

Quote from: mauve66 on May 14, 2013, 05:48:50 PM

I'd like to see someone walk up to Ralph and ask him what year Dodge won the 24 Hours of Daytona outright, and name just ONE of the drivers.     I am betting he'd have trouble answering it on the fly.  

I'm sorry,  but that F & F clip is just bad.    As a presenter, you are welcome to simplify the explanation to your viewers.  This is not difficult.    For example:
"The Daytona won a championship and set speed records in 1970".    "Richard Petty drove a wing car".   "Richard Petty drove a Charger".   "Richard Petty drove a car 'like this'."    But it is not OK to change history. 

If there is an out, it is possible Gilles did that in one take.   It is anyone's guess as to how much prep time he had before going on camera.   

DC_1

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 08:38:10 PM

I'd like to see someone walk up to Ralph and ask him what year Dodge won the 24 Hours of Daytona outright, and name just ONE of the drivers.     I am betting he'd have trouble answering it on the fly.  

I have been a Dodge man my entire life. I've owned 5 - 2nd gen chargers, a 69 Dart GTS, a a71 Road Runner and countless other Chryslers including their new products. I like what they are doing now and frankly don't care that Gilles doesnt know obscure race history. He has done more to improve Chrysler performance on current models and reintroduce some design ques from their heritage than Trevor Creed or any of the other Management running Chrysler has since the '70s......Cut him some slack.

472 R/T SE

Here, here DC.   :2thumbs: 

Always been strictly a B body Charger type but the older I get, that's broadening.  Pretty easy to jump on the e body band wagon imo.

The Domtona is meh.  What I like is the car at the end of the movie that they say makes a couple quick cameos'. 

JB400

DC_1

As for the F&F 6 Daytona, lets remember this is Hollywood. Everything is fake and constructed to be more pleasing to the eye -even the people! The cars are superheroes like the actors. They are over dramatised to make their feats seem more believable. If the average 14 -32 year old male non-car guy saw a factory Daytona with 14" bias ply tires and hand crank windows they would think it was some oldman car that was customized poorly in the 70s!...... We all know that it was a functioning design for winning races but they are catering to a broader audience than us.  :Twocents:

surmanajaja

ok that aar cuda is sweet..but its all mopar& looks like it could have in 1970, exterior isnt radically altered. any links to a build?

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 08:38:10 PM
But it is not OK to change history. 

If there is an out, it is possible Gilles did that in one take.   It is anyone's guess as to how much prep time he had before going on camera.   

This.  Besides, number of takes aside, this was about the stupid car, and not casserole recipes.