News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wrinkle paints

Started by 71green go, May 12, 2013, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

trying to paint my dual snorkel assembly for my 71 and am having no luck with wrinkle paints.....i follow direction and it comes out very uneven.....
Anyone know of a good one or any tricks?

71green go

well I did a search here and found i should have used a heat gun.....ah well i will strip it and try again!

Daytona R/T SE

Set it out in the sunshine on a hot day. :Twocents:

Pete in NH

Hi,

I collect and restore WW II radio equipment and black wrinkle paint was a very common finish back then. The paint used back then was called black wrinkle varnish and I haven't found anything that comes out of a spray can that is nearly as good. I've about given up on any of the new wrinkle paints giving a consistant finish over any thing like a larger area. Film thickness and heat control the wrinkle depth. A thinner film will give a finer wrinkle, thicker film a heavier wrinkle. If you try for a heavier film build up several thinner coats with five or so minutes between them. This paint tends to very thick and runs easily. Once you get the paint on in the desired film thickness, a heat gun will give you about as much control of the wrinkle process as you can get. A heat lamp aimed at the part also works fairly well if the part is on a rotating table to keep the heating consistant.  You can also place the item out in the sun, but, you don't get nearly as much control over the wrinkle. After the wrinkling takes place don't handle the part for a week or better two, this stuff takes forever to really set up.

Many radio restorers have given up on this type of paint and gone over to power coating which can produce a very similar finish but is much more consistant. If you really want your part to look right I would consider power coating. Hope this helps.

bill440rt

All great tips.
Trying to cover a large area like an air cleaner with paint from a spray can is tough, especially to get a consistent finish. Spray cans are very prone to tiger striping, so you have to really watch your paint overlap.
Do it on a nice warm day, make sure the part is warm also.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

71_Charger_R/T

I can't find the article now, but I read and saved an article (somewhere) about 12 years ago (one of the first things I restored on my car) that recommended "Plasti-kote" wrinkle finish textured spray paint #217 Black. I used it and it worked great. I was worried that it wasn't working at first since it wasn't wrinkling...... I used a heat gun to help it along and   BINGO!    it started to wrinkle up nicely. Looks great to this day. If I can find the article (very detailed, step by step.) I'll post it up.

TwistedShifter

I used an electric oven once to do a set of valve covers. 125 for about 15 minutes and cooled before installing for 24 hrs. The finish was bullet proof and harder than Superman's knee cap. I used Plast e cote black wrinkle.

I'd recommend to plan on cleaning the oven afterwards. :smilielol:
1973 Dodge Charger SE