News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vega hatch - Daytona rear window plug question

Started by AKcharger, May 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Always heard about this mod, how does it work? Do you hack up the hatch and blend in the parts or do you cut out a hatch shaped hole in the Charger and drop it in...always wondered  :popcrn:

ACUDANUT

moparstuart

Quote from: AKcharger on May 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM
Always heard about this mod, how does it work? Do you hack up the hatch and blend in the parts or do you cut out a hatch shaped hole in the Charger and drop it in...always wondered  :popcrn:
do a search there are several threads and several methods 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pandamarie

You have to cut the inner skin off, trim it so it is even with the outside of the window bend then cut off about 3-4" off the bottom, best to modify your trunk lid first and get the correct hinges and mount the trunk lid then cut away just enough of the bottom of the hatch back to match your curve on the trunk lid. Once the trimming is done grind or sand the edges around the inside of the window on the vega smooth you should have about 1-1 1/2"of metal on the outside skin of the vega hatch, slide it in between the sail panels and push up as far as you can, should have about 2" opening in the center tapering off on both sides, make a patch panel and weld it in place.
I used a vega hatch on my build, I just finished painting it, look down a few messages and you can see pics of what it will look like if done well.

AKcharger

hotrod98

I use an English wheel to relax the lower area of the vega plug so that it lays down and meets the Dutchman.
Order a 71-74 Charger or 71-74 Roadrunner Dutchman panel to use as your front drip trough.
Then alter your deck lid to match the radius of the Dutchman. You will need a closeout panel for the deck lid to finish it out after altering it.

Man, I really should make a video of how to build a Daytona clone. So hard to explain since there are so many little details in doing one that looks and works correctly.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 14, 2013, 04:01:50 PM
I use an English wheel to relax the lower area of the vega plug so that it lays down and meets the Dutchman.
Order a 71-74 Charger or 71-74 Roadrunner Dutchman panel to use as your front drip trough.
Then alter your deck lid to match the radius of the Dutchman. You will need a closeout panel for the deck lid to finish it out after altering it.

Man, I really should make a video of how to build a Daytona clone. So hard to explain since there are so many little details in doing one that looks and works correctly.

now is the perfect time to make the video  , hop to it    :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

Yep, Larry was very helpful to me!! (Still need to make my trunk hinges!!)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

kab69440

Can't help you with a Vega plug. I can tell you exactly how to do it with a Hornet wagon liftgate. No trunk work required. :nana: :2thumbs:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

ACUDANUT

kab69440

Ayup. It was the only glass I could find that fit between the sail panels when my backlight blew out of the car and took most of the rotten casement with it. It was getting late in the year and Ohio winters are cold. I did what I had to do...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Daytona R/T SE

Indygenerallee

It may have fit but the vega plug looks ten time better  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

kab69440

For a Daytona clone, maybe. For the Charger, the Hornet plug wins hands down. The roof's profile isn't spoiled with a big bubble. Looking directly from the side, you can't see a difference in the sail panels. Doesn't matter. It's worked for almost 25 years. I have no intention of changing it now.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Old Moparz

Quote from: kab69440 on May 14, 2013, 07:11:50 PM
Ayup. It was the only glass I could find that fit between the sail panels when my backlight blew out of the car and took most of the rotten casement with it. It was getting late in the year and Ohio winters are cold. I did what I had to do...

Can't imagine what you're going to do to those Tonka Trucks.   :lol:

And I'm not making fun of you for the Charger window. I once made a working hatch for a 1966 Belvedere wagon I owned with a broken back window with plywood, plexi-glass, gate hinges & a padlock hasp.    :smilielol:

You should have seen the roof rack from plumbing pipes.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 14, 2013, 08:09:12 PM
Quote from: kab69440 on May 14, 2013, 07:11:50 PM

And I'm not making fun of you for the Charger window. I once made a working hatch for a 1966 Belvedere wagon I owned with a broken back window with plywood, plexi-glass, gate hinges & a padlock hasp.    :smilielol:

you had a rat rod wagon way before its time

kab69440

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 14, 2013, 08:09:12 PM

It got the job done, didn't it? That's all that matters.

I'm not going to fix anything on the trucks. I just made space to squeeze them in with everything else.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

remta1

thank goodness no one has made a vega replica out of a daytona :smilielol:

hotrod98

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 14, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
Vega hatch ? :shruggy:

Just say NO !  :slap:

:smilielol:

I would rather go with a correct steel Daytona plug on my new project but don't have the expertise to make my own and now that Jack is gone, I'm not sure if anyone's making them. I think the glass is being reproduced but haven't actually seen anyone selling them. The moldings would be the next problem. Not sure how to make them.
May have to go with a vega plug one more time.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 15, 2013, 10:40:02 AM

I would rather go with a correct steel Daytona plug on my new project but don't have the expertise to make my own and now that Jack is gone, I'm not sure if anyone's making them. I think the glass is being reproduced but haven't actually seen anyone selling them. The moldings would be the next problem. Not sure how to make them.
keep you hands off mine    :icon_smile_big:

kab69440

The mouldings would suck. You'd have to buy two sets of exhorbitantly priced mouldings and cut one of them up to TiG into the other set. It would almost be easier to custom cut a set of rolls on a lathe to scratch form the mouldings.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 15, 2013, 10:40:02 AM

Larry,

You have the skills.

From what I've seen, making a vega hatch fit is just as much, if not more work than making your own plug.

The moldings are a piece of cake if you copy the way I did it.

ACUDANUT

Here's my 2 cents.  It ruins the look of the Charger. :Twocents:

hotrod98

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 15, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

I've owned so many Chargers over the last 40 years, that it doesn't bother me one bit to cut one up. Yes, they look good stock but they look oh so mean as a Daytona. I'm the guy that took a clean triple black RT SE and converted it into a Daytona.  ;D

When I drive into a car show with my big ole black wingcar, everybody pays attention. Last Saturday all I did was drive by a large car show and I've had numerous e-mails, texts and phone calls about how so and so saw me there and how everyone was talking about it. I love it. The wingcars just make a statement that I don't think can be equaled by any other make or model. In my opinion, a Charger that has been tastefully converted into a Daytona, trumps a stock Charger any day.

But, that's just my opinion.

Stu, we have three vega plugs. Your's is safe buddy.

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 15, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 15, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

I've owned so many Chargers over the last 40 years, that it doesn't bother me one bit to cut one up. Yes, they look good stock but they look oh so mean as a Daytona. I'm the guy that took a clean triple black RT SE and converted it into a Daytona.  ;D

When I drive into a car show with my big ole black wingcar, everybody pays attention. Last Saturday all I did was drive by a large car show and I've had numerous e-mails, texts and phone calls about how so and so saw me there and how everyone was talking about it. I love it. The wingcars just make a statement that I don't think can be equaled by any other make or model. In my opinion, a Charger that has been tastefully converted into a Daytona, trumps a stock Charger any day.

But, that's just my opinion.

Stu, we have three vega plugs. Your's is safe buddy.

I'm with ya man - well stated. They are the Muscle of all Muscle cars. With my 572 HEMI - this thing is ready to make a statement and already has. People walk past every car - and stand around this car no matter if they are Ford or Chevy guys. They own the show. Everyone deserves their opinion - but the popularity across brand names proves the point of this cars appreciation goes beyond any other car.

Dane