News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vega hatch - Daytona rear window plug question

Started by AKcharger, May 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6PakBee

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 14, 2013, 04:01:50 PM

.......Man, I really should make a video of how to build a Daytona clone. So hard to explain since there are so many little details in doing one that looks and works correctly.

Where do I send the check?

Cooter

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 15, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 15, 2013, 02:04:46 PM
Here's my 2 cents.  It ruins the look of the Charger. :Twocents:
While I totally agree, I do like them.

When I drive into a car show with my big ole black wingcar, everybody pays attention. Hmmm, I get the same thing with the General Lee. Funny, if someone converted an original RT/SE to a GL, it would have a whole different opinion.
Last Saturday all I did was drive by a large car show and I've had numerous e-mails, texts and phone calls about how so and so saw me there and how everyone was talking about it. I love it. The wingcars just make a statement that I don't think can be equaled by any other make or model. General Lee comes to mind. They seem to grab more attention than the Converted red Original RT we have here that comes to the shows. Dude is super cool and does all his own work, so he's cool in my Opinion. A definate rarity when it comes to "Wing car" owners looking for attention IMO

But, that's just my opinion.

Stu, we have three vega plugs. Your's is safe buddy.

But that's just MY opinion....I have 6 Vega plugs here still in Vega's. Two are even Vega "GT"s.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

QuoteFor a Daytona clone, maybe. For the Charger, the Hornet plug wins hands down. The roof's profile isn't spoiled with a big bubble. Looking directly from the side, you can't see a difference in the sail panels. Doesn't matter. It's worked for almost 25 years. I have no intention of changing it now.

IMHO the factory should have done something like that in the first place.  It would give the lion's share of the aero gains that the window plug provided for a ton less installation work and visual change.  It's not surprising that they told the engineers not to cut into the dutchman & trunklid next time on the Superbirds. 

If the aero car program had stuck to making more subtle/practical changes they might have continued to make aero specials well into the 1970s. 

Old Moparz

I know the entire reason to use the Vega hatch is for the inexpensive, steel alternative to using a fiberglass or steel Daytona plug. The Vega hatch I have I traded for, but when I was hunting for it I saw a few fiberglass Vega hatches come up in the search. The only advantage of using one is that they are easy to get & you can still use the stock Vega window, not the expensive Daytona glass.

Here is a new fiberglass Vega hatch for $250. Aren't the fiberglass Daytona plugs 2 or 3 times that price?

http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/7177vega.html
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Indygenerallee

I wouldnt want to use a fiberglass Vega hatch, too much flexing and possible cracking.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

A383Wing

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 18, 2013, 11:37:32 PM
I wouldnt want to use a fiberglass Vega hatch, too much flexing and possible cracking.  :Twocents:

which was one of the main reasons I didn't do a 'glass one on mine, other than the money thing, it's hard to mate 'glass to steel with any good outcome

Bryan

hotrod98

Quote from: Cooter on May 18, 2013, 10:05:33 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on May 15, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 15, 2013, 02:04:46 PM
Here's my 2 cents.  It ruins the look of the Charger. :Twocents:
While I totally agree, I do like them.

When I drive into a car show with my big ole black wingcar, everybody pays attention. Hmmm, I get the same thing with the General Lee. Funny, if someone converted an original RT/SE to a GL, it would have a whole different opinion.
Last Saturday all I did was drive by a large car show and I've had numerous e-mails, texts and phone calls about how so and so saw me there and how everyone was talking about it. I love it. The wingcars just make a statement that I don't think can be equaled by any other make or model. General Lee comes to mind. They seem to grab more attention than the Converted red Original RT we have here that comes to the shows. Dude is super cool and does all his own work, so he's cool in my Opinion. A definate rarity when it comes to "Wing car" owners looking for attention IMO

But, that's just my opinion.

Stu, we have three vega plugs. Your's is safe buddy.

But that's just MY opinion....I have 6 Vega plugs here still in Vega's. Two are even Vega "GT"s.

You are kidding about the General Lee stuff...right. Every other mopar guy around here has done the GL thing. I used to buy up GL projects around here and undo them. I've actually made quite a bit of money doing that. One of them that I did is still owned by a guy here in town. I painted it black and put black interior in it. I still have the push bar and the vectors in one of my storage buildings. I sold a 69 Charger to one of the guys that works for me last year and he keeps talking about turning it into a GL. I refuse to sell him the GL parts because I really don't want to have to hear that damn horn all of the time.  At least he's off the Eleanor idea now. I bought his 67 Mustang fastback to kill that project.  :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Cooter

No, not really. Back in around 1980, we hadda guy buy up what he referred to as "One dem ugly cars with the "Corvette" nose on the front" and build himsel;f a GL. Course, in around 1992, it got "Converted" back to the "Corvette" front end, and sold. :icon_smile_big:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparstuart

my buddy steve is building a daytona on a late model chassis

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.597701846909385.1073741827.100000087251193&type=3    his plug pictures
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

moparstuart

Daytona R/T SE

moparstuart

Cooter

I'd like to see a '68 Daytona clone...That would be Sweet! :yesnod: Then not only would it have a "Corvette" nose, it would have the tail lights to match!

moparstuart

Quote from: Cooter on May 19, 2013, 12:27:19 PM
I'd like to see a '68 Daytona clone...That would be Sweet! :yesnod: Then not only would it have a "Corvette" nose, it would have the tail lights to match!
its been done

Cooter

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 19, 2013, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 19, 2013, 11:50:02 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 19, 2013, 11:46:34 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 19, 2013, 11:28:24 AM
my buddy steve is building a daytona on a late model chassis

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.597701846909385.1073741827.100000087251193&type=3    his plug pictures

That looks like an early '68 trunk lid  :Twocents:
his car is a 68

Gotcha  ;)
he fabricated his own 69 tail panel , he works for one of those popular nascar teams . But i hate that team so i cant say the name  :rofl:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.571687166177520.1073741826.100000087251193&type=3
  he made this piece and then just trimmed the 68 tail to add this

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 18, 2013, 03:06:56 PM
QuoteFor a Daytona clone, maybe. For the Charger, the Hornet plug wins hands down. The roof's profile isn't spoiled with a big bubble. Looking directly from the side, you can't see a difference in the sail panels. Doesn't matter. It's worked for almost 25 years. I have no intention of changing it now.

IMHO the factory should have done something like that in the first place.  It would give the lion's share of the aero gains that the window plug provided for a ton less installation work and visual change.  It's not surprising that they told the engineers not to cut into the dutchman & trunklid next time on the Superbirds. 

If the aero car program had stuck to making more subtle/practical changes they might have continued to make aero specials well into the 1970s. 

Can we see better pics of this other plug?????

kab69440

Mine? What specifically do you want to see? Alternate angles or close-ups of particular areas?

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Highbanked Hauler

WOW :notworthy: to be able to fabricate metal like that tail light housing, its a skill I never learned. :'(
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

kab69440

Here's some old library pics. I know I've posted all this stuff years before, but I can't tell you the threads or anything...

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 20, 2013, 11:40:07 AM
Stu, I thought Steve was a member here??
he could be , i know he lurks alot  but if he's a member  i dont know under what name  ?  :nana: :nana:  steve if your watching 

wingcar

Ok, I am sure someone else has already asked this question, so sorry in advance.  But does anyone make metal rear window plugs for the Daytona.  I have contacted a couple of people and it seems as if I keep hitting a deadend.  I had thought about just going with the Vega part, but I have an NOS rear window, and trunk lid, so I figured I might as well go that way if possible.  (I had an NOS plug that I sold way back before anyone made them....I was made an offer I couldn't refuse).  Thanks
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400