News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vega hatch - Daytona rear window plug question

Started by AKcharger, May 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

I'm here Stuart and David. I just decided not to put my two cents in until I was through wading through the nearly 130 pages of threads to check out anything relevant to my project before asking any stupid questions that might have been covered already in this forum. Just got done with that a couple of weeks ago. I am glad I did. Nearly every ideal that I thought might be unique has been done by someone here in some shape or another.  Lots of great projects and lots of talent on display here. Just hope my stuff can measure up to the high bar of what I have seen.  By the way . On this subject there is more there is no shortage  of pics on plug installations. They saved me lot's of grief.

kab69440

Quote from: Stevearino on May 21, 2013, 06:13:20 PMNearly every ideal that I thought might be unique has been done by someone here in some shape or another. 

I hear you. I was so proud of the way my Road Runner power bulge installation turned out. I posted pics of it on scatpack.com and within hours someone posted a pic of a '70 with the power bulge AND  air grabber setup. I was crestfallen. There's nothing new under the sun, I reckon...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Stevearino

Quote from: kab69440 on May 21, 2013, 06:38:11 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on May 21, 2013, 06:13:20 PMNearly every ideal that I thought might be unique has been done by someone here in some shape or another. 

I hear you. I was so proud of the way my Road Runner power bulge installation turned out. I posted pics of it on scatpack.com and within hours someone posted a pic of a '70 with the power bulge AND  air grabber setup. I was crestfallen. There's nothing new under the sun, I reckon...

It pays to surf the web so as to not re invent the wheel.

kab69440

I don't care much that there's another one out there. I still love the way it looks.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on May 21, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
I'm here Stuart and David. I just decided not to put my two cents in until I was through wading through the nearly 130 pages of threads to check out anything relevant to my project before asking any stupid questions that might have been covered already in this forum. Just got done with that a couple of weeks ago. I am glad I did. Nearly every ideal that I thought might be unique has been done by someone here in some shape or another.  Lots of great projects and lots of talent on display here. Just hope my stuff can measure up to the high bar of what I have seen.  By the way . On this subject there is more there is no shortage  of pics on plug installations. They saved me lot's of grief.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  you should start a thread from day one on your car , you have plenty of pictures to do a  chronology
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

Quote from: moparstuart on May 21, 2013, 08:50:32 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  you should start a thread from day one on your car , you have plenty of pictures to do a  chronology
I already ran into trouble trying to upload photos on this forum. I guess my files are too big or something.

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on May 22, 2013, 05:19:04 AM
I already ran into trouble trying to upload photos on this forum. I guess my files are too big or something.
i can post them for you if you like this forum is alot harder then most to post pictures , you just need to make sure the picturehas a new name never posted on the site before and that its resized to be smaller then 200

held1823

make certain you resize a copy of your photos, and not the originals.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

Quote from: moparstuart on May 22, 2013, 06:36:57 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on May 22, 2013, 05:19:04 AM
i can post them for you if you like this forum is alot harder then most to post pictures , you just need to make sure the picturehas a new name never posted on the site before and that its resized to be smaller then 200
When I get a little time I will see if I can figure it out Stu. In the meantime I will repost the early pics in another album on facebook. If I am not successful I will enlist your competence.
Quote from: held1823 on May 22, 2013, 08:01:40 AM
make certain you resize a copy of your photos, and not the originals.
Thanks I will give this a try.

Indygenerallee

Good to see you here Steve!!!  :2thumbs: Get to showing off your work!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Daytona Guy

WOW, if you have all that, I would definitely try and get a real Daytona plug.

Dane

Daytona R/T SE

So, how much would you guys pay for a correct appearing, (at least on the outside)

new reproduction steel Daytona rear window plug :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Installed with new glass and trunk treatment ? 1000 bucks.  :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

Im pretty happy with the $150 Vega hatch I bought complete with good trim and glass, They look good enough to me in a clone Daytona, If you want a perfect exact copy of a original Daytona and your gonna shell out big money for "correct" parts then you should have bought a original Daytona.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hotrod98

Spending three grand or more to make a clone look more like a Daytona is kind of a waste of money in my opinion. But I understand doing it if it makes you happy.
If we were talking maybe $500 to $800 more, then it would probably be worth the additional cost to most people.
They look so similar that even though I've seen hundreds of real Daytonas and clones, I still have a hard time telling the difference from a distance. I have to study the car for a minute to decide whether or not it's a real Daytona back glass. But then again, I'm old, senile and half blind.... :D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

If AMD does actually produce the back glass,

I plan on making one more steel plug for my 500 project.

While I'm at it, I might consider making a few more... :Twocents:

If AMD doesn't produce the rear window, then I'll try my hand at glass cutting. ;)

Hemi Runner

How difficult was that to make? Are you anywhere near Peoria?

moparstuart

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 23, 2013, 09:34:16 PM
i have to goto peoria to pick up my hemi

70Sbird

Quote from: moparstuart on May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM

No you Don't Stuart.... I'll grab it for you and keep it "safe"   :angel:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on May 23, 2013, 09:53:19 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM

No you Don't Stuart.... I'll grab it for you and keep it "safe"   :angel:
yes i'm sure you will but i still have to come get it from you    :icon_smile_big:   you hemi horder

Daytona R/T SE

It was very time consuming.

I'm a couple of hours away from you.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 23, 2013, 02:20:30 PM
Spending three grand or more to make a clone look more like a Daytona is kind of a waste of money in my opinion. But I understand doing it if it makes you happy.
If we were talking maybe $500 to $800 more, then it would probably be worth the additional cost to most people.
They look so similar that even though I've seen hundreds of real Daytonas and clones, I still have a hard time telling the difference from a distance. I have to study the car for a minute to decide whether or not it's a real Daytona back glass. But then again, I'm old, senile and half blind.... :D

Me too - I love your Black Daytona.

Dane

BigBlockSam

QuoteSpending three grand or more to make a clone look more like a Daytona is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

it changes the whole concept of the car . from a charger with a wing on it to a race car  . plus adds about 10k to the sale price .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 24, 2013, 01:35:03 PM
QuoteSpending three grand or more to make a clone look more like a Daytona is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

it changes the whole concept of the car . from a charger with a wing on it to a race car  . plus adds about 10k to the sale price .

it costs more like 10K to make a clone don't it ? :shruggy:

6pkrtse

I don't feel so bad I only paid $30.00 for my vega rear hatch for my Dayclona project. 
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic