News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vega hatch - Daytona rear window plug question

Started by AKcharger, May 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

it costs more like 10K to make a clone don't it ? shruggy
I don't know where you came up with that number but not in my case....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 24, 2013, 04:01:13 PM
yeah closer to 40 to 50 k  for a nice one
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

I think ACUDANUT was getting at how much it costs for all the parts to convert a Charger into a Daytona clone.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

A383Wing

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 24, 2013, 04:20:07 PM
I think ACUDANUT was getting at how much it costs for all the parts to convert a Charger into a Daytona clone.

in the mid 90's I bought everything except rear plug for $7500 shipped to NW Washington....then I found the real wing for $200

last I totaled the numbers, I think about $25k into mine...that also included engine & front end rebuild as well

Bryan

hotrod98

It would be impossible to put an exact number on the cost of building a Daytona clone. Too many variables. Depends on the condition of the donor car, the quality of the conversion components and whether or not you're doing all, part or none of the labor yourself. If someone brought me a very nice donor car that had a solid body, nice interior and was running and driving, my shop would charge approximately 25K for the conversion including paint.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

i'm sure if someone would send Don Currie a fiberglass plug he could make some great ones out of steel

his superbird plug looks fantastic
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 24, 2013, 04:20:07 PM

Yes, that is what I meant. Not the car, paint ect. Just the add on's.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 24, 2013, 01:35:03 PM
QuoteSpending three grand or more to make a clone look more like a Daytona is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

it changes the whole concept of the car . from a charger with a wing on it to a race car  . plus adds about 10k to the sale price .

I was also referring to this quote above.  :yesnod:

A383Wing

guess I need to find a plug then, huh?

Bryan

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on May 25, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
i'm sure if someone would send Don Currie a fiberglass plug he could make some great ones out of steel

I can make the plugs. :coolgleamA:

But...

I can't make the glass.   ::)

Until there is glass available, there is no reason to make the plugs. :Twocents:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 25, 2013, 10:50:25 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 25, 2013, 01:52:29 PM

I can make the plugs. :coolgleamA:

But...

I can't make the glass.   ::)

Until there is glass available, there is no reason to make the plugs. :Twocents:

Good point !

kab69440

How much bubble is there in a Daytona backlight? I inquired a few years ago about having custom quarter curtains made. A glass dealer can cut glass to any desired shape and send it out to be tempered. They can't however duplicate surface curvatures.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

ACUDANUT

Quote from: moparstuart on May 24, 2013, 04:12:50 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 24, 2013, 04:01:13 PM
yeah closer to 40 to 50 k  for a nice one

Stu, you honestly thought I was talking about a whole car/project. REALLY ?

Daytona Guy

Quote from: kab69440 on May 26, 2013, 04:24:59 AM
How much bubble is there in a Daytona backlight? I inquired a few years ago about having custom quarter curtains made. A glass dealer can cut glass to any desired shape and send it out to be tempered. They can't however duplicate surface curvatures.

flat grass would not look right at all. I saw this done as a temp piece in waiting for the real deal to go in, and it looked terrible. 

Dane

A383Wing

there's a flat glass 'Tona up here...looks like crap

talkiemopar

I have a Daytona or 500 after market rear glass I picked up in 1992 that I would sell. It does have the curve in the glass. I don't know how I would ship it. :rotz: :-\ :brickwall:  Rick.

A383Wing

I do not ship glass.....I did ship a wing window to Germany a few years ago...but it was packed so well, I bet it took him 2 hours to find it in the box

I wish I had the $$ for your rear glass

Bryan

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: talkiemopar on May 26, 2013, 01:32:00 PM
I have a Daytona or 500 after market rear glass I picked up in 1992 that I would sell. It does have the curve in the glass. I don't know how I would ship it. :rotz: :-\ :brickwall:  Rick.

Location?

talkiemopar

Across the river from Cincinnati Ohio.  The Northern Kentucky area. Interested?
Rick :popcrn: :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: talkiemopar on May 26, 2013, 03:05:26 PM
Across the river from Cincinnati Ohio.  The Northern Kentucky area. Interested?
Rick :popcrn: :cheers:

I've already got one, thanks. :2thumbs:

But...

I'm sure someone else here might be interested, if they are within driving distance. :Twocents:

How much do you want for it ?  :shruggy:

talkiemopar

Well I'm open for offers.  I've thought about putting it on e-bay with a reserve of $500. Anybody interested can contact me on the aero site, I'd rather it be kept in the "family" ( mopar people ) not someone trying to make an investment.
Rick

hotrod98

I would love to have it for my new project but that's a little too far to drive to pick it up and it would be too risky to ship it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Nwcharger

Quote from: talkiemopar on May 26, 2013, 04:37:04 PM
Well I'm open for offers.  I've thought about putting it on e-bay with a reserve of $500. Anybody interested can contact me on the aero site, I'd rather it be kept in the "family" ( mopar people ) not someone trying to make an investment.
Rick

hey rick, i may just pick that glass up from you. but if i do it would need to stay with you for a few months while i figure out shipping.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

Old Moparz

I can suggest that if anyone is going to ship a large window like that, make sure it's crated. If it were a common, readily available part, you can take a chance wrapping it really well & use a large, heavy duty, cardboard box. With a rare part that cannot be easily replaced it should be protected much better. Even transporting yourself a fairly long distance it should have the edges & corners padded well, then covered with cardboard or a moving blanket. If it goes in a crate make sure you don't brace it tightly, it needs room to move slightly or the shock of the crate being bumped or dropped will break it into a million little cubes.

Someone bought some late 60's Barracuda parts from me & it included the huge, curved, rear window. I had some leftover foam pipe insulation that I put on the edges, then put a layer of cardboard around it & used the shrink wrap to keep it all together & make it easy to handle when he picked it up.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus