News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it hard to join the Navy?

Started by Paul G, May 14, 2013, 06:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Yes - 2006 was rough for the USAF. A guy I know made it through the Academy - got to his unit - and was handed discharge paperwork after 83 days.

Well I am dumb enough to pick a tiny career field and I know the promotions suffer - however, if you're there for the money you're there for the wrong reasons. I plan on doing my 4 years and getting out unless i commission.  My ultimate goal is law enforcement - but the state PDs here in CA are looking for OTW (Other than White) applicants it seems.

So - career field is between CCT and EOD - just seeing what opens up first. (EOD does suck because I would have two different promotion tests; A dedicated EOD test as well as a Civil Engineering exam)

Paul -  it means he won't be starting at the bottom of the barrel...   Even holding a B.S. degree he will only go in as an E3 - the USAF does the same.  The Army will enter as an E-4 and the USMC as an E-2....   

He will probably be allowed to waive his promotion time needed down because of college (For instance - my USAF promotion from E3 to E4 requires 36 months TIS with 20 months TIG, or 28 months TIG, whichever occurs first. So TIS meaning having been in the USAF for 36 months and 20 of those months being as a E3 (TIG). OR - 28 months as an E3 ---  so going in as an E3 I have to wait 28 months to promote to E4 ---  but this is waivable down to 22 months ---    it all depends on how well you do your job and how well your command likes you...

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

70moparman

Tried to join the Navy my senior year of highschool ~ they wouldnt take me becuase they said I had a "criminal record"   :eyes:  Shit happens when you party naked...  :lol:

twodko

Hell man, part of my Navy basic training back in the day was tactical naked partying!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ACUDANUT

Doing that with a bunch of other dudes.  :eek2:

twodko

No man, naked partying with the female sailors - Waves. It was referred to as "raiding the wave cage".  :2thumbs:

The only naked partying with guy sailors on guy sailors is in the British Navy. :smilielol:

mauve66

Quote from: twodko on May 22, 2013, 03:15:15 PM
No man, naked partying with the female sailors - Waves. It was referred to as "raiding the wave cage".  :2thumbs:

The only naked partying with guy sailors on guy sailors is in the British Navy. :smilielol:

that's just SOP for them :o
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Iceyone

All services are getting pickier and pickier, criminals are not allowed anymore. Back when I joined the Navy in 1986, I talked to the recruiter on Monday, went to MEPS on Wednesday and landed in San Diego on Friday for bootcamp. My whole family was shocked.

For Rolling Thunder the "E" ranking is Enlisted, the "O" ranking is Officer. An E-7 (like I was when I retired) also collects a nice tax-free monthly housing and food allowance, besides the measly $52K salary.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Paul G

I talked to my son Yesterday. He says he has to write one more paper, this time explaining the under age drinking situation he got in to when he was 18, that was 10 years ago. So they have not turned him down as of yet, just putting one more hoop in front of him to jump through. He is not giving up and I think that may be what they are waiting for him to do. It has been almost a year now since he first went in to the recruiters office. I really hope for his sake that the Navy finally gives in and lets him join up. Don't know what else has to do other than keep doing what they ask until they finally have enough information and set him up for MEPS. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

twodko

Good news Paul. I'm not speaking from a position of bias but I have never known a sailor that didn't do well after his/her tour.
He'll make it. Anchors aweigh.

Paul G

I would like to see him stay in for 20 years and retire with a pension. He will be 49 years old and have steady income for the rest of his life, and be young enough to start a second career when he gets out. But that is up to him after he gets in and decides if he likes it or not.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

twodko

Nowadays, he'll have to put it out to make 20. I hope he does.

twodko

Hey Paul!

Just thought I'd throw this out to pass along to your son. I lose my health insurance tomorrow BUT I found out from some vet buddies that I'm eligible for VA health and Rx benefits at little or no cost! I sent the app in a couple weeks ago and received my enrollment docs earlier this week. 37 years after my 6 year enlistment and my GI Bill benes are still there for me. Granted the GI bill, VA benes have changed some since my time but when you are a vet you DO have options. I paid for it down range.......in advance, but its still working for me.

Had my first VA visit yesterday for my ID card and an orientation appointment Monday! Hooyah!

FYI.....

ACUDANUT

Going to the VA was a horrible experience for me. I felt like I was at a soup line and surrounded by homeless people.  :icon_smile_angry:

Paul G

My father in law uses the VA still and he is 84. He says it is not the best care in the world, you have to stay on top of the docs because they do make mistakes. But the price is right for routine stuff.

b5blue

On that point all must remember, anyone with a DD214 can show up at any VHA and get help. Not just medical, job placement even homeless assistance. It's your right as one who served. I work for the VHA in logistics and chose this job, to help our Veterans because THEY are why we are FREE.
  I met Charlie on the elevator one day, spunky older guy. When I asked if he needed any assistance he replied: Ya where are all the hot nurses hanging out?  :lol: We had a good laugh and he told me after surviving "The Battle of the Bulge" every day is a gift from God, enjoy it! Every day I see more and more young Veterans, many missing some part of their body.....we have a debit to pay to any who signed on the line. If you know any Veteran in any need PLEASE get them to the VHA. 

Paul G

Thanks for that Neal. Veterans are the most important part of our society.

My son called today asking for date of birth and current addresses for us and his step siblings. That is the latest thing the recruiter has asked him for. They sure are being thorough I guess. He said that all the jobs he is interested in are on the east coast. For whatever that means?

b5blue

The "new" Combined Services Force isn't just looking for raw manpower. Military is cutting edge tech and background checks are vital to understanding who you can trust long term, with information that is vital for our modern world survival. I think they now realize that any potential hire must be beyond stable, more like rock solid in every aspect of their life. Given the economy and the reduction in force they can afford to be even more choosy. I know a good young man who wanted to go Marine yet was rejected for a tattoo. He said there was some remote possibility of someone thinking gang related or something to that effect. It was disheartening for him.
  I'm sure your son will be fine, I can see real background checks taking many months to complete. They would not waist any time/money if he was not a real candidate.  :2thumbs:         

twodko

I'm tellin' ya Paul, b5 has it right. Your boy will be offered the pen.

b5blue

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 01, 2013, 09:17:51 AM
Going to the VA was a horrible experience for me. I felt like I was at a soup line and surrounded by homeless people.  :icon_smile_angry:
I'm at Bay Pines, it's a huge facility with 3,500 employees and a regional office (VARO) also located on campus. I regret you felt that way, the pool of Veterans come from all walks of life and lets face it, your there for some degree of help of some reason. (It is your right!) Your never "judged" by staff, of that be sure. Being in the loop as an employee and a Veteran I'm much more aware of how hard the VA and VHA is working to stream line the system and constantly increase efficiency while reducing cost even while the number of Veterans increase.
  I had never set foot on a VA facility after leaving the USAF until over 20 years later. I was amazed at the care, concern and treatment I received, the thoroughness of a total heath examination including tests and scans of all types and even a card to take home that you mail back with a sample of poop so they can check. All this done not at my demand but just because I showed up at their door with my ID and a DD214. That was it for me, I had to work with this team in some form or fashion and encourage anyone to seek the same.  :2thumbs:     

Paul G

I work with a guy right now who is just 60 years old and wants to retire early. He is single, if he leaves the company now he will not have health insurance till he turns 65 and can get on medicare, except for the VA. He can retire early like he wants to and use the VA till medicare kicks in. It is a great option for Vets.

twodko

Thanks for stepping up Neal, not only for yourself but for the rest of us too. The VA has made some impressive strides in the last decade improving everything it does. You remember how bad the VA was for us Nam era vets. Not so anymore IMO.

Tom

ACUDANUT

I invite all to the KCMO VA hospital. That will change your mind in a hurry about asking for care. It was a one and done trip for me. Never again. I hope other places are better. Just remember, you are getting what you pay for.  :Twocents:
Did you know that as a retired Marine reservist (28 years)  I have to pay 70.00 bucks a month for Dental Care (Delta Dental.Military) and 120.00 a Month for Health Care (Tricare).  No free benefits.  What a bargain.  :smilielol:  I also have to wait until age 60 to get any monthly check. Don't think for a second us retired reservist have it made. :Twocents:

charge69

I worked at the Houston VA hospital as a state employee helping veterans get treated and/or apply for benefits and make it thru the maze of rules and regulations involved. This was mid-'80's thru 1998 and went from the old WWll Navy Hospital (about 1946 it became the VA Hospital) to the new Michael DeBakey VA hospital that stands where the old original 9 hole golf course for the older VA hospital stood. I was accredited to represent veterans all the way to the Board of Veterans Appeals Court in Washington D.C. by the American Legion, VFW, Blinded Veterans Association, AMVETS, Texas Veterans Commission, Paralyzed Veterans Association and other organizations.

Representing deserving veterans was the most rewarding thing I ever did. The pay from the State sucked, though and that is why I went back to the FAA when I got the chance in 1998 as well as I was getting burned out seeing and dealing with all the incompetence around me. Nothing like a social worker bringing a young veteran down to my office with his wife and young kids and telling me he needs to apply for benefits and he needs help.  sadly, she knows and tells me he has terminal cancer and will not live 6 more months and he and his family haven't even been told yet by his Doctor and we cannot tell him! Yes, this DID happen more than once and the veterans, despite looking perfectly healthy when they were brought to my office, all died within 6 months and then, widows claims to deal with now!

There were times I saw good and professional care and other times it was a fiasco!  I am a USMC Vietnam Combat Veteran and service-connected already for my hearing. As was the case for a lot of WWll , Korean Conflict and Vietnam vets I helped, the VA system would be the LAST place I would go for care. Just too many variables there and you are almost guaranteed to be treated by a med school physician that rotates between 4 hospitals here in Houston!

twodko

The VA is a huge government organ for sure but many of us have no other options. If I had a family or any service related injuries I might very well see the charlie foxtrot experienced by others. I'm 5 away from medicare so i have to do what I can do.

Semper Fi you mugs!

FYI CudaNut, I was SOL for dental coverage too until another ex-squid buddy mention he and his wife have a discount dental
plan with Aetna. Others offer similar plans. My local dentist doesn't accept any discount plans.....jackwagon......but I found another
dentist in my town that does. I signed up with CignaPlus discount dental plan. $135 yearly membership cost for an individual and you pay about 50% the cost of dental services. The website is DentalPlans.com
Again it was a choice I had to make......do I buy an "insurance plan" with a monthly nut and maybe only need it for bi-annual cleanings/check-ups or do I buy a discount plan to use when I need something? The later fit my budget better. Worth looking into guys.

Tom

charge69

To twodco:  A veteran is not required to get treatment for service-connected disabilities by the VA but it does have its' advantages. Prescription drugs provided free for SC disabilities and, possibly any condition if you are SC at a high enough percentage ( used to be at least 50%) but be advised, that can also cause problems.

Most young VA doctors don't even crosscheck what else you are taking to check for unwanted side effects! I, personally, knew a fellow who was 100% service-connected due to multiple problems caused by his 2 Vietnam tours as a Special Forces Officer. Nicest guy you would ever meet and it was a sad day we buried him at the Houston VA Cemetery. Anyway, his wife had just got the VA to cut down his medication when he slipped and fell in his own kitchen late one night and hit his head so hard, he died a week later when they unplugged him.

I mentioned his wife had his VA doctors cut down the medication he was taking. Yeah, they cut him down to 82 pills of various strong pain and other medications a day!  that's right ... 82 pills a day! He was a zombie for a few hours after his morning meds and evening meds and never slept at night anymore! I was horrified to find 2 new Harley scooters and a nice '57 Chevy with a 4-speed in his garage. This was despite him having basically no feeling in his legs below his knees due to neuropathy caused by Agent Orange exposure! I still don't know how he kept the bike upright when he had to stop!