News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever paint a car with rust-oleum exterior paint?

Started by GordonGriggs, May 25, 2013, 09:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

A few more from this past weekend and weekend before

squeakfinder

It looks good, but you used hardener. Van Sickle tractor paint has a hardener additive available. Sold at Coastal Farm and Ranch. Oil based paint also. I used it on a brush rake I built for a TD 9 crawler. The paint is holding up O.K. on the part of the rake that doesn't get stuck into the ground. But I haven't tried there hardener with Rustoleum.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

c00nhunterjoe

Here is a local car painted with rustoleum purchased at walmart. No hardener. It shows scuff marks from the uood being set on the roof due to the lack of hardener. Otherwise very nce.

1974dodgecharger

WOW...thats awesome man....makes me want to do mine with spray cans...

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 11, 2013, 09:21:27 PM
A few more from this past weekend and weekend before

squeakfinder

I used NAPA comercial coating on my sons Scamp. No hardner. It needed to be waxed quite often.

69DodgeCharger

I saw an earlier poster say you could not clear coat over Rustoleum because it is oil based enamel. I personally have, and my friend has repeatedly sprayed clear coat over it. In fact to skip a ton of scuff work before clearing we spray the clear on as soon as the Rustoleum is tacky enough to hold it. Looks like a million dollars after being buffed and has lasted for over 4 years on his blazer and over two on my Ranger with no problems. So it can "be done" Probably not the best way to go, but....
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

c00nhunterjoe

What type of clear did you use? I have read everywhere that there is no clear compatable with the oil based paints. If it works I'm interested.

69DodgeCharger

Just your basic Auto Value brand clear coat. Mine was $60 a gallon. My friend has used even cheaper brands with great results. I have done it, and seen it a dozen times already with no I'll effects. It will look like a quality base clear job and most people will never know.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Highbanked Hauler

Rust oleum is very similar to  Dupont synthetic enamel which I have sprayed gallons of back in the day. The big problem with old enamel is a slow full cure and no UV protection.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

squeakfinder

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on August 04, 2013, 09:40:24 AM
no UV protection.

That's my issue with it. I recall reading a comment in some thread around here about that "Paint your car with a paint roller" thread on moparts. Somebody stated they saw the original poster's car 2 or 3 year's latter and it didn't look so good. That orange 69.