DodgeCharger.com Forum
September 22, 2019, 08:17:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SRT-8 Daytona Clone  (Read 320523 times)
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

I have to say that this is an awesome build!!
Thank you. I have a long way to go. Let's hope I don't run out of steam.

X2!! 2thumbs
Great solution to the trunk spring issue, the original Charger hinges look much better than the oversized, "adapted looking" hinges on a daytona. Also you cleaned up the inside of the truck a bit at the same time.
Amazing work!
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't know if It would work but since it did it saved me a couple of bucks.
I have to say that this is an awesome build!!
moparstuart
Old Timer

Kansas Mafia Member , Overland park Ks.

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

them NASCAR guy dont want any extra weight   yesnod  nana

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »

them NASCAR guy dont want any extra weight   yesnod  nana

We've been known to stob parts of the car off the cage with tig rod. Now that's just stupid.
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »

Back to the boring stuff.Getting rid of rusted material. The lower front of the quarter panel was not rusted but it had been lumped up pretty good and rather than spend a lot of time trying to dolly it out and then have to put a bunch of mud in it I decided to cut it out and replace it. I have to do the other side also. It was good though because I was able to get in to see the rear frame rail  and clean it up , treat it and primer it before replacing the panel. Everything underneath was in pretty good shape.

* SRT Wings 70.JPG (154.77 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1269 times.)

* SRT Wings 71.JPG (150.77 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1269 times.)

* SRT Wings 72.JPG (158.41 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1279 times.)

* SRT Wings 73.JPG (161.24 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1313 times.)
JB400
Old Timer

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »

Looks good.  I don't consider this the boring part.  Removing rust just gives an idea of how good of a craftsman a person is.  Besides, it opens the door for some unique custom work as well.

Ghoste
Old Timer

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »

Yeah, it might be the scary part as all that metal vanishes and it starts to look like it could never be a car again but I don't know if its necessarily boring. 2thumbs

Support the Charger registries at

http://www.1966-67chargerregistry.com/

to submit info to the 69 registry, pm me

http://1970chargerregistry.com/
http://www.71chargerrtregistry.com/
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »

Back to the boring stuff.Getting rid of rusted material. The lower front of the quarter panel was not rusted but it had been lumped up pretty good and rather than spend a lot of time trying to dolly it out and then have to put a bunch of mud in it I decided to cut it out and replace it. I have to do the other side also. It was good though because I was able to get in to see the rear frame rail  and clean it up , treat it and primer it before replacing the panel. Everything underneath was in pretty good shape.
drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5

ws23rt
Old Timer

If it can't be fixed then it's not broken.

« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »

I can only imagine how many times the decision has been made. To replace the whole rear quarter or not? This is a good example of what can be fixed without intruding on otherwise sound areas of the car. Not to mention less work.
Good call Stevearino and nice work.
thedodgeboys

''Normalís Overrated''

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:25 AM »

Awesome build  2thumbs
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:20 AM »

I can only imagine how many times the decision has been made. To replace the whole rear quarter or not? This is a good example of what can be fixed without intruding on otherwise sound areas of the car. Not to mention less work.
Good call Stevearino and nice work.

Less work indeed. I hate drilling out spot welds.
Daytona Guy
Old Timer

My 69 Charger Daytona

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

Super fabulous  coolgleamA
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

I stripped out the interior re enforcement on the sail panel to remove any rust underneath and to clean the re enforcement pieces up also. I re installed an abbreviated version of the re enforcement towards the front of the sail panel and then fabricated new re enforcement the rest of the way back to the window bed. this will provide an under structure for a smooth transition  in the head liner back to the glass.

Well this pretty much catches me up  on this project as far as posting the progress on this project since last September. From here on out  I will be posting hopefully every couple of weeks as I move forward. Progress has ground to a halt since my compressor crapped out and I have been in the process of rebuilding/upgrading it. I only lack some "v" belts which are on back order. Thanks to everyone who has commented.

* SRT Wings 74.JPG (161.32 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1235 times.)

* SRT Wings 75.JPG (162.88 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1240 times.)

* SRT Wings 76.JPG (156.57 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1197 times.)

* SRT Wings 77.JPG (159.53 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1230 times.)
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »

be sure and keep all the chassis and structure for our superbird project   icon_smile_big rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »

be sure and keep all the chassis and structure for our superbird project   icon_smile_big rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
: 2thumbs 2thumbs 2thumbs
Baldwinvette77
Old Timer

Since DoomsDay 2012

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »

nice quarter repair  cheers
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »

Every gen 2 Charger came with a leaf and debris catcher as standard equipment. As you can see mine is no exception. At least there are no critters living in here.  Cutting the cowl off was the last thing I did a couple of weeks ago when my compressor crapped out and I made the bad decision to rebuild it. I am still on that adventure waiting for the proper belts to drive the replacement head. They have been on back order for 2 weeks. flame flame

* New stuff 003.JPG (167.36 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1208 times.)
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »

Since the compressor was down I decided to start taking the easy stuff off of the 06 Charger. When I removed the rear bumper cover I found these neat little vent pieces in the side wall of the trunk. They are hard plastic with rubber flexible louvers. Can anyone guess what I am thinking these will be perfect for? scratchchin
Since I had the tires off the car I decided to play around and see what they would look like on the 68. Something tells me I am going to need a large sub woofer with these.

* SRT Wings 78.JPG (108.85 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1148 times.)

* SRT Wings 79.JPG (147.99 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1164 times.)

* SRT Wings 80.JPG (149.82 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1197 times.)

* SRT Wings 81.JPG (150.53 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1169 times.)
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »

the mat finish 5 spoke wheels looks so much better

Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

the mat finish 5 spoke wheels looks so much better

Yeah. I only have one of those and three of the others. I'm gonna have to buy one more of the Ghoste wheels just to make a set to sell. I will probably use them while I am building the car but there are other things I like better for the final deal like the wheels on the Mutant Bee for example. I have to be careful because these new cars have all of the offset to the inside.
Highbanked Hauler
Old Timer

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

Steve, do you  bend roll bars also ?

69 Charger 500, original owner  
 68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
 92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
 04 PT Cruiser
Baldwinvette77
Old Timer

Since DoomsDay 2012

« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »

Hmmmm, my guess's are that you will either use them under the fender scoops, or under the nose cone  scratchchin
Montreal Wing Car

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

Those wheels are available from Factory Reproductions, not too expensive, good quality you don't have to go the expensive OEM route!
http://factoryreproductions.com/factory/pc/Dodge-Challenger-Silver-Machine-c14.htm

They do look great on the car...

Ben
Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »

Steve, do you  bend roll bars also ?
Sure don't. That's the chassis dept. I work hanging the bodies. I know some guys that can though.
Hmmmm, my guess's are that you will either use them under the fender scoops, or under the nose cone  scratchchin
Fender scoops it is. Good guess. There is a problem with having the functional opening under the fender scoops as it throws debris on the windshield. I am thinking if these were installed with the flaps forward facing they would relieve the air pressure under the fenders but keep away debris. We'll see.
Those wheels are available from Factory Reproductions, not too expensive, good quality you don't have to go the expensive OEM route!
http://factoryreproductions.com/factory/pc/Dodge-Challenger-Silver-Machine-c14.htm

They do look great on the car...

Ben
Thanks for the link Ben. If I go that route that's a good source.
Daytona Guy
Old Timer

My 69 Charger Daytona

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

Personally, these cars need some offset depth to the wheels on them. The New Challengers (I have one) look good not having the offset (depth) because of the car's styling and stance. The 2nd gen Chargers have a lower profile and stance - so these wheels just don't look right on them IMO. Also, Chrome is so much more flashy and pops really nice when the car is moving and looks good sitting still.

Dane

Stevearino
Old Timer

« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2013, 04:20:40 AM »

Personally, these cars need some offset depth to the wheels on them. The New Challengers (I have one) look good not having the offset (depth) because of the car's styling and stance. The 2nd gen Chargers have a lower profile and stance - so these wheels just don't look right on them IMO. Also, Chrome is so much more flashy and pops really nice when the car is moving and looks good sitting still.

Dane

I agree about the wheels needing to be dished. I am not sure how much dish I will be able to get based on the way that the wheels are mounted with the off set from the body to the inside. I will have to see how wide they are when the old body is  mounted on the new chassis. The other issue I will struggle with is with a much higher sub structure it will be hard to get the great front to rear rake you have achieved on your cars. It will be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: