News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Here is not the same thing as you are doing but close. He got the stance with a dish. Not sure how he did it.

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 24, 2013, 06:43:49 PM
Here is not the same thing as you are doing but close. He got the stance with a dish. Not sure how he did it.

Dane
Stuart sent me pics of this build a while ago and he took a little different approach. He built this from a Chrysler 300 and actually used the roof forward of the B post. This allowed him to keep the 300 windshield and A posts. He had to significantly modify the hood by shortening it at the base of the windshield and eliminating the old style cowl. This allowed him to leave the firewall and windshield wiper area un modified on the 300. It also looks like he mounted the body high and built bigger rockers. This would have allowed him to kick the rear of the body up in relation to the tires. Something that I might try. The only hazard here would be making sure the hood does not hit the manifold as it is pretty prominent.  The wheels are dished a bit but I like the look of your wheels and hope to be able to get closer to that than this car did.

Montreal Wing Car

I've seen this car a few times as it is local to me.
I don't like the finish (decals, painted bumpers, etc...) but the workmanship is very good. He did have to splice in some material into the side of the fenders to have them a little higher so th front end clears the manifold.
It is basically old sheetmetal fenders, doors, quarters, trunk, grafted on a modern 300, not necessarely a mating of two bodies, if that makes sense?

Ben

Daytona Guy

What ever you come up with I am sure it will be the best and the most amazing ride yet.

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on June 24, 2013, 09:42:00 PM
I've seen this car a few times as it is local to me.
I don't like the finish (decals, painted bumpers, etc...) but the workmanship is very good. He did have to splice in some material into the side of the fenders to have them a little higher so th front end clears the manifold.
It is basically old sheetmetal fenders, doors, quarters, trunk, grafted on a modern 300, not necessarely a mating of two bodies, if that makes sense?

Ben
Yes. I saw some pics of the build and you are exactly right.

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 24, 2013, 11:14:13 PM
What ever you come up with I am sure it will be the best and the most amazing ride yet.

Dane
That remains to be seen but thanks for the vote of confidence.

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 24, 2013, 11:14:13 PM

Dane
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: Stevearino on June 24, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
The wheels are dished a bit but I like the look of your wheels and hope to be able to get closer to that than this car did.

While you're working the quarters and fenders, bow them out more.  The Coke body shape should take well to a mild widening, and it'll look even more like a race car.

Stevearino

Quote from: pettybird on June 25, 2013, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on June 24, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
The wheels are dished a bit but I like the look of your wheels and hope to be able to get closer to that than this car did.

While you're working the quarters and fenders, bow them out more.  The Coke body shape should take well to a mild widening, and it'll look even more like a race car.
We will see what it needs once it is on the new chassis. That is a ways off right now.

Stevearino

Well I finally got my compressor rebuilt. New head , motor, plumbing and belts. While it was down I got antzy and decided to do some more tear down on the SRT-8.  I got it pretty well gutted.Man there is a mess of wires in these new cars. Pretty simple to tear down though compared with older cars.  Minimal fasteners on just about everything.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Baldwinvette77

This cant get much cooler  :popcrn:

ramairthree

Very cool.

I have seen some second gen Charger pics floating around where they put the body on an SRT 300 or Charger,
but not a Daytona.

It has been in the back of mind, how great it would be to put a 70 shell on one and do the plug and nose and wing.

Some company has a 15K wing and nose to put on the new Challenger, but obviously not the same.

I understand you have to cut about 6 inches out of the middle of a Charger or a 300, and that the front fenders still don't line up the wheel opening right and have to be modified.

I know a salvage Challenger runs more than the 4 doors for the same condition, but in work hours without having to cut the middle if it makes up for it.

The picture that kept the a pillars and windshield is interesting, I also understand it is not easy getting the wipers to work right,
etc.

Awesome work.

Stevearino

Quote from: ramairthree on June 30, 2013, 10:37:55 PM
Very cool.

I have seen some second gen Charger pics floating around where they put the body on an SRT 300 or Charger,
but not a Daytona.

It has been in the back of mind, how great it would be to put a 70 shell on one and do the plug and nose and wing.

Some company has a 15K wing and nose to put on the new Challenger, but obviously not the same.

I understand you have to cut about 6 inches out of the middle of a Charger or a 300, and that the front fenders still don't line up the wheel opening right and have to be modified.

I know a salvage Challenger runs more than the 4 doors for the same condition, but in work hours without having to cut the middle if it makes up for it.

The picture that kept the a pillars and windshield is interesting, I also understand it is not easy getting the wipers to work right,
etc.

Awesome work.
You have hit on all of the key challenges. The windshield cowl area is definitely the biggest as the outer cowl of the 68 hovers over what is the interior of the 06. Creating a cowl area that is water tight, inducts air properly and enables one to service the wiper motor assembly will be difficult for sure. As far as the wheel base is concerned it is 120 on the 06 and 117 on the 68. My plan is to just alter the front fenders as they will be customized anyway and moving the tires forward helps the proportions with the already long nose. I hope it looks O.K. visually. I have drawn it out and also built a scale model using a Challenger kit to look at it. We will see.

Stevearino

Well I still have a lot to do on the 68 but I kind of got going on striping out the SRT-8 and now I have it braced to start chopping. I bolted 1/4" plates to the seat belt locations in the rear of the car and to the door jamb where the dash sub assembly fastens. I then welded some 1"x1" .083 wall steel to connect the front and rear so that when the upper part of the body is removed the center won't sag. I ran two verticals from these bars down to the seat belt bolt up on the rocker to keep the upper bar from bowing up or down. Lastly I tied them together side to side to keep them from spreading.

Stevearino

I also put a cross tie from rear shock tower to tower to keep them from rolling inward.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Steve, what are you going to do the surgery with,a sawsall or a plasma cutter ? :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Steve, I like your "tin foil" wiring harness!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 05, 2013, 10:43:20 PM
Steve, I like your "tin foil" wiring harness!!  :icon_smile_big:
That keeps the aliens and Jeff Gordon away .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stevearino

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 05, 2013, 09:24:28 PM
Steve, what are you going to do the surgery with,a sawsall or a plasma cutter ? :2thumbs:
A combination of ziz wheel or thin abrasive wheel, sawsall, and roto broach to drill out some spot welds when I get close to the bone.
Quote from: moparstuart on July 06, 2013, 03:03:40 AM
Steve, I like your "tin foil" wiring harness!!  :icon_smile_big:

That's not too far off Stu. It's something we do at work when we have to replace a side or quarter panel and they don't want to remove all of the electrical systems. Deflects the grinding garbage and the odd hot ball.

moparstuart

this just in from the spy cam  Steve and his cat ready to work on the car    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stevearino

this just in from the spy cam  Steve and his cat ready to work on the car    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Stevearino on July 06, 2013, 06:49:28 AM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 05, 2013, 09:24:28 PM
A combination of ziz wheel or thin abrasive wheel, sawsall, and roto broach to drill out some spot welds when I get close to the bone.
Quote from: moparstuart on July 06, 2013, 03:03:40 AM
Steve, I like your "tin foil" wiring harness!!  :icon_smile_big:

That's not too far off Stu. It's something we do at work when we have to replace a side or quarter panel and they don't want to remove all of the electrical systems. Deflects the grinding garbage and the odd hot ball.

Interesting tip :yesnod:

Sometimes the most simple and cheap things can save a lotta grief later.

[not to self.....REMEMBER!!]

Thanks MUCH!! :2thumbs:

This is a VERY interesting build. Great job and suspect I will pick up a lot more then just the above. Thanks again......in advance for all the good info!

Mike DC

Anybody have more pics/info on this build? 

It's been gradually growing on me since the pic first went up.