News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Now it's really starting to look like nothing.

mauve66

roller skate?? remember the old ones with the metal shoe frames that slid in the middle for different size shoes??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Stevearino

Quote from: mauve66 on July 07, 2013, 03:44:29 PM
roller skate?? remember the old ones with the metal shoe frames that slid in the middle for different size shoes??
Hate to admit it but Yes. Yes I do. :yesnod: :yesnod:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Stevearino on July 07, 2013, 02:26:56 PM
That looks like a Humvee :)

You are amazing with metal

Dane

ws23rt

It does look like the old roller skate. I nailed one of my sisters skates to a 2x4 inventing the skate board. :yesnod:
Great progress with the Daytona. If you keep your pace it will be on the road in no time. Don't lose your momentum. :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 07, 2013, 05:24:39 PM

Dane
I hope it doesn't look like a Humvee when I am done. That would be awful.
Quote from: ws23rt on July 07, 2013, 05:42:46 PM

It does look like the old roller skate. I nailed one of my sisters skates to a 2x4 inventing the skate board. :yesnod:
Great progress with the Daytona. If you keep your pace it will be on the road in no time. Don't lose your momentum. :2thumbs:
Everyone here knows how far from done this really is and it's very hard to not run out of gas. Thanks for the encouragement.

Baldwinvette77

I wish i have the opportunity to chop a late model to pieces, would be therapy  :icon_smile_big:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 10, 2013, 05:03:51 PM
I wish i have the opportunity to chop a late model to pieces, would be therapy  :icon_smile_big:
Even though this car is considered by the insurance companies as totaled it suffered very minor damage. The expense of replacing the airbag systems and the buckled roof skin caused it to be a total. It was otherwise in good shape. That made the first few cuts to perfectly straight door jambs and quarter panels a little painful for me. Reality is that these cars are going for between 20 and 25 thousand used in good shape. Problem is with a salvage title even repaired it would be hard to sell for even 15 thousand. So there is not much use to repair it as is. This makes me feel a little better about giving it the haircut I did.

ws23rt

Quote from: Stevearino on July 07, 2013, 06:38:12 PM

Dane

Everyone here knows how far from done this really is and it's very hard to not run out of gas. Thanks for the encouragement.

I am impressed with the progress. I've had a few big projects that require a long term commitment and somewhere down the line it can bog down.
But the further along it gets the greater the commitment. The point of no return is good.
My encouragement for you also goes for those that sometimes come to a point where they ask what was I thinking?
You seem to be rolling just fine.  :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on July 10, 2013, 06:13:32 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 10, 2013, 05:03:51 PM
Even though this car is considered by the insurance companies as totaled it suffered very minor damage. The expense of replacing the airbag systems and the buckled roof skin caused it to be a total. It was otherwise in good shape. That made the first few cuts to perfectly straight door jambs and quarter panels a little painful for me. Reality is that these cars are going for between 20 and 25 thousand used in good shape. Problem is with a salvage title even repaired it would be hard to sell for even 15 thousand. So there is not much use to repair it as is. This makes me feel a little better about giving it the haircut I did.

i know what you mean, i held a funeral for my 68's shock towers when i decided to swap them for mustang 2 parts, they were clearly the only mint parts on the car  :rotz:

Stevearino

Quote from: ws23rt on July 10, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on July 07, 2013, 06:38:12 PM

Dane

I am impressed with the progress. I've had a few big projects that require a long term commitment and somewhere down the line it can bog down.
But the further along it gets the greater the commitment. The point of no return is good.
My encouragement for you also goes for those that sometimes come to a point where they ask what was I thinking?
You seem to be rolling just fine.  :2thumbs:

"What was I thinking?" Has been the recurring theme of my life. One more ain't gonna hurt.

djcarguy

Best use for that 4 door thing chop cut an modify it into a real charger ,that is great to look at. 2nd gen and wing cars rule.   looking like ya decide not to use the 06 windshield, great idea to keep all 2nd gen look. :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs:  just my :Twocents:  dj out west

Stevearino

Well I have been idle for a while due to some medical issues in the family. Just got back to work. I finally finished up the inner support system for the sail panels. I really wanted to do this because I feel this is maybe the way the factory would have done it if the window plug had not been an aftermarket afterthought. This also gets rid of a few pounds of excess metal. Since the 06 is a 5,000 lb car and this old body is not lighter that the 06 I felt any weight savings would help performance.
I capped off the stock gas hole in favor of using the side mount door from the 06 mainly because while I love the way the cap on the 68 looks I am not a fan of drizzling gas on the quarter panel if I can help it. Also I don't have one. :icon_smile_big:
The last two pictures are of the piece I had to make to replace the flange that holds the window wiskers. Lucky for me the other side was intact so that I had a good hole pattern to follow.

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on July 11, 2013, 04:03:59 PM
   Best use for that 4 door thing chop cut an modify it into a real charger ,that is great to look at. 2nd gen and wing cars rule.   looking like ya decide not to use the 06 windshield, great idea to keep all 2nd gen look. :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs:  just my :Twocents:  dj out west
I agree about the windshield but I might have to alter the cowl area to make the windshield wipers serviceable. How is the Dartona coming. Any progress yet?

Baldwinvette77

This is all pretty cool, and holy crap 5000 lbs?  :scratchchin: ditching the airbags and the stereo should knock it down to 3500  :lol: shame about losing the cool gas cap, i guess the 06 is more practical, but even on my car where im using a fuel cell in the trunk, i kept my cap.. it looks cool  :icon_smile_big:

Stevearino

The newest last car project I worked on was a 79 El Camino so I wasn't really prepared for the fact that some of these newer cars weigh so much. The first time you realize this is when you think the seals are going to burst on your floor jack when you lift it for the first time. Holy Moly.

remta1

looking good , enjoying the photos  :popcrn:

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Worked on some more knick knacks. Nothing earth shattering this weekend. I decided to start investigating what I would need to keep on the forward door jamb area and got rid of the right side kick panel. I really just need the jamb post itself and nothing more forward of it. Dane made a suggestion about lengthening the hood to eliminate the cowl area at the base of the windshield. I think I am going to see if I can make that work since it will make the wiper motor accessible from the engine bay instead of buried under the dash. We'll see.  Anyway I cleaned up the inside of the quarter panels and separated them from the outer wheel tubs as a part of the process of replacing rusty/damaged metal. I finished replacing the lower front quarter panel with some new metal giving it a slight kick down and flare out ala the old stock car version of this area.

Montreal Wing Car

Saw the red one with SRT guts today, will see it again next weekend. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you'd like me to photograph, or questions you'D like me to ask the builder...

Ben

Stevearino

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on July 28, 2013, 08:14:37 PM
Saw the red one with SRT guts today, will see it again next weekend. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you'd like me to photograph, or questions you'D like me to ask the builder...

Ben
Thanks but he took a different approach than I am taking. He took a 300 and pared it down and hung the 70 Charger sheet metal on the car saving the forward section of the the 300 greenhouse including the windshield and wiper area of the cowl on the 300. I will be using the entire 68 Charger body.  The areas that I will be needing modifying advice on were essentially not modified on this car. Mainly the cowl area and the wiper motor arrangement as it would relate to my old windshield set up. Other questions have been answered by the photos I have seen. The body seems to be hung higher than the gen 2 would be which makes sense as the modern Charger/300 platform is 3 inches taller at the"A" post from the rocker. I will be cutting this down to get the Gen 2 body down closer to the ground and it's original look. Cool car though and thanks for the offer Ben

Steve

Montreal Wing Car

No problem! You are right, the proportions on that car are a little bit out of whack and it is even more apparent in person. Kind of like a new Challenger compared to an older one. Would be better if the bottom of the rockers were black?. It's a modern car dressed up as an older one. I think your solution will look better, more like the the 68 Charger from Ontario that was in a few magazines a couple of years ago. That one might be at Moparfest in a couple of weeks...
Keep up the good work, I love it!

Ben

Stevearino

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on July 29, 2013, 07:43:09 PM
No problem! You are right, the proportions on that car are a little bit out of whack and it is even more apparent in person. Kind of like a new Challenger compared to an older one. Would be better if the bottom of the rockers were black?. It's a modern car dressed up as an older one. I think your solution will look better, more like the the 68 Charger from Ontario that was in a few magazines a couple of years ago. That one might be at Moparfest in a couple of weeks...
Keep up the good work, I love it!

Ben
Now that 68 I'd like to see. If you get any pics of that post them here. Thanks.

Highbanked Hauler

I'll be the first one to sign up when you start teaching class on fabrication. :paintingpink: :buff:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Stevearino

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 30, 2013, 09:31:23 AM
I'll be the first one to sign up when you start teaching class on fabrication. :paintingpink: :buff:
Come on down anytime. I've got lots of useless nonsense in my skull I can pass on. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: