News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mopar John on January 24, 2017, 10:28:21 AM
Congrats on making the magazine!
A well deserved project for the story!
MJ

x2

alfaitalia

Somehow managed to miss this thread!!! Just spent a long while reading just about the whole thing....truly amazing. Trouble is I don't know whether to be inspired, as far as my own far more humble project is concerned, or depressed that I have to make do with far less in the way of skill (and equipment!) than you have and just get on with it!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

hemigeno

qwick68

Congrats! You deserve it!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Troy

Congrats! Great job on the car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

XS29L9B2

perfect steeve

would you fine me one for me?
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

tan top

congratulations !! Great stuff  :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Thanks once again for all the kind words and support. You guys have been great.  :2thumbs:

birdsandbees

WOW Steve.. aneurism.... never. Was a great follow and some absolutely wonderful workmanship!!  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Charger-Bodie

One of the things I love about your build Steve, is that you didn't take a rustfree example only to cut away most of the body. You took a so so example of each due to the other being wrecked and made a great result! Aneurism averted.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dave14

Beautiful car Steve I was a bit skeptical at first with the old and new thing but with the quality of the work  there was no way it could suck..... even for the purists and i think we all looked forward to its completion but given the quality of the build didnt wanna see it end either !

Maybe you should build a Plymouth next ? Ill be looking out for that Mopar magazine ,might even hang it up in the garage ..... Dave

djcarguy

:drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: AWesum car an coverage,congrates Steve   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

NEW CHALLENGE take the 68 unabody an build a copy of a on track DAYTONA race car ? ? ? mass roll cage with new skin hung on it?/   this mission will self destruct in 10 seconds,HA HA HA 

looked at magazine cover several time before noticing the 4dr image below it. AWESUM car an was great reading an following the build,,THANKS for that...   lattter DJ way out west   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  :cheers:

Charger_Fan

A little late to the party, but I simply HAD to say congratulations!  :cheers:  Having a nice write-up in a magazine, at the end of this long road is the icing on the cake. Very cool!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Fin Day

A copy arrived to me too - allways takes some time to ship it to northern Europe but here it is and immediatly read the article.
There was something about how your car will be received among the quite nitpicky Daytona/Superbird crowd.
Where is the strict and cautious Aero crowd ?
Not here anyhow - I have only seen praises about your build !

And, well deserved praises they are !

500Jon

Nice one!

If it looks like a Daytona, sounds like a Daytona, smells like a Daytona, ITS a DAYTONA, or is it?
Who really cares, you took four years to create your DREAM!!! :pity:

WELL DONE SIR-STEVE...some of us will never manage that ourselves. (Wingcar dreamers like me)

If Mother Mopar had any BALLS left, she would have built a TWO DOOR Charger for the 21st Century! :RantExplode:

Not leave it to a few Diehards to build there own Modern Mopar!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Stevearino

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 24, 2017, 08:11:12 PM
WOW Steve.. aneurism.... never. Was a great follow and some absolutely wonderful workmanship!!  :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Thanks birdsandbees.

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 24, 2017, 09:24:09 PM
One of the things I love about your build Steve, is that you didn't take a rustfree example only to cut away most of the body. You took a so so example of each due to the other being wrecked and made a great result! Aneurism averted.

I would never harm an example of a sought after car of any kink Charger-Bodie. As a matter of fact if I had to do it all over I would just buy the sheet metal from AMD and not bother with an original car at all. I wish other Mopars had as much metal available as the second gen Charger. There would be a few others I would like to do this with.

Quote from: dave14 on January 25, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
Beautiful car Steve I was a bit skeptical at first with the old and new thing but with the quality of the work  there was no way it could suck..... even for the purists and i think we all looked forward to its completion but given the quality of the build didnt wanna see it end either !

Maybe you should build a Plymouth next ? Ill be looking out for that Mopar magazine ,might even hang it up in the garage ..... Dave

Good luck finding that issue or Mopar Muscle in a store or on line. Not only did I not get a comp copy of the magazine, I had a hell of a time finding it on news stands or in stores. I did manage to get a few copies but Mopar Muscle never replied to two inquiries about buying multiple copies from them directly. Not like I was asking them to send them free. Pretty disappointed about that aspect. Oh well. Life in the big city and all that.

Quote from: djcarguy on February 03, 2017, 09:02:22 AM
:drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: AWesum car an coverage,congrates Steve   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

NEW CHALLENGE take the 68 unabody an build a copy of a on track DAYTONA race car ? ? ? mass roll cage with new skin hung on it?/   this mission will self destruct in 10 seconds,HA HA HA 

looked at magazine cover several time before noticing the 4dr image below it. AWESUM car an was great reading an following the build,,THANKS for that...   lattter DJ way out west   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  :cheers:

They are building a replica of Bobby Allison's wing car at Steve Levitt's shop in Morresvile N.C. so that is being done DJ. Yeah I really liked the mirror shot with the 06 and 69 together. I inquired about getting a high quality print of that and got no response.  Would be nice framed.

Quote from: Charger_Fan on February 15, 2017, 03:13:05 PM
A little late to the party, but I simply HAD to say congratulations!  :cheers:  Having a nice write-up in a magazine, at the end of this long road is the icing on the cake. Very cool!

The response to the car build from the articles posted on the Hot Rod Network was overwhelming. I have heard nothing in response to the magazine. I guess what they say about print media being dead is true or the car has been over exposed. Thank you for the congratulations. It has been a very rewarding experience Charger_Fan.

Quote from: Fin Day on February 24, 2017, 03:08:03 AM
A copy arrived to me too - allways takes some time to ship it to northern Europe but here it is and immediatly read the article.
There was something about how your car will be received among the quite nitpicky Daytona/Superbird crowd.
Where is the strict and cautious Aero crowd ?
Not here anyhow - I have only seen praises about your build !

And, well deserved praises they are !

I appreciate the praise Fin Day. The hardest thing for me to do was to keep the writer of the article from going overboard with things but that is what they do to sell copies of the magazine. You have to hype things up a bit. I have had surprisingly little blow back of the negative type. Very fortunate considering how ill tempered folks can be about just about anything these days.

Quote from: 500Jon on February 24, 2017, 04:38:53 AM
Nice one!

If it looks like a Daytona, sounds like a Daytona, smells like a Daytona, ITS a DAYTONA, or is it?
Who really cares, you took four years to create your DREAM!!! :pity:

WELL DONE SIR-STEVE...some of us will never manage that ourselves. (Wingcar dreamers like me)

If Mother Mopar had any BALLS left, she would have built a TWO DOOR Charger for the 21st Century! :RantExplode:

Not leave it to a few Diehards to build there own Modern Mopar!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thank you Jon. I understand the car we currently know as the modern Charger was developed with another name badge and Charger was applied at the last minute. The fact that the newer models got more styling cues from the original gen 2 just goes to show that Chrysler really had no idea it would be such a big deal to so many people. I think the Challenger's re introduction in 09 was an attempt to right that wrong. When you see a Challenger or a Modern Charger on the road they really stand out against a back drop of jelly bean cars so building them both was a big risk for a relatively small company. Just glad they did so I did not have to build my Daytona using a Crown Vic.  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Baldwinvette77

I know it's still early and all, but whats next? where do you go from 68 charger welded to an 06 charger and dressed as a daytona? A 71 challenger welded to a totaled hellcat?  :coolgleamA:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 24, 2017, 08:50:44 PM
I know it's still early and all, but whats next? where do you go from 68 charger welded to an 06 charger and dressed as a daytona? A 71 challenger welded to a totaled hellcat?  :coolgleamA:

Unfortunately my wallet and my dreams are a mismatch. I have things I would like to build but time and dollars do not permit. I had thought of building to sell but seeing that this type of conversion has been done about a dozen times in the last ten years and have been seen by the public I don't see a real market for it.  Over a lifetime I have been stuck with more than a few of my "great ideas". Just ask my wife.

dave14

Steve i did find the mopar mag.its going up in boys room above garage by some other bird pics. under my nose cone (wall art for now ) renovating now building a bar etc. but as soon as thats done itll make the mopar wall for sure ... nice build i hope you enjoy it!

Stevearino

Quote from: dave14 on February 25, 2017, 08:29:00 PM
Steve i did find the mopar mag.its going up in boys room above garage by some other bird pics. under my nose cone (wall art for now ) renovating now building a bar etc. but as soon as thats done itll make the mopar wall for sure ... nice build i hope you enjoy it!

I am honored dave14. Thank you and I already am. :2thumbs:

mike69440

Whats up?

Put a Demo in that thing already!

Stevearino

Quote from: mike69440 on August 04, 2017, 09:58:39 AM
Whats up?

Put a Demo in that thing already!

I would need a hood bulge.......Oh yeah and a wallet bulge too.

Charger_Fan

How many miles do you have on it now, Steve?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Stevearino

Quote from: Charger_Fan on August 05, 2017, 03:04:44 PM
How many miles do you have on it now, Steve?

I have put about 1,000 miles on it. Not much for being done for a year. I have been babying it and working out some issues. I had re do the door panels because I used the wrong glue but they look good now. Been working on the window seals getting the wind noise down. Had a pro work on the exhaust. The drone under power would make your ears pop. It is better now. One of the pipes was  bent from the donor car crash and was banging against the rear end. That is sorted. Tightened up some rattling components in the doors. I had the throttle body go out on the highway and replaced that.Scary. I still need to get the check engine light taken care of. Looks like the prior owner used regular gas and cooked the O 2 sensors in the catilytic converters. Had the air conditioning worked on. I still have to bring it to the dealer and get another key.  I thought something was wrong with the transmission as it would not shift out of first gear but it turns out I did not know it has a slap shift option and I must have hit the shifter sideways by accident. I have taken the car mainly to cruise in's as I really don't have the time to go to 2 or 3 day car shows right now so mostly local stuff where I can buzz in and stay a while and take off. I have gotten brave and taken it to breakfast on the weekends. Parking lots give me a lot of anxiety. Itching to start something new but time, money and other obligations are keeping that from happening anytime soon. Probably to much info but thanks for asking.

Bobs69

Obviously your hands have been touched by God!  Your skill and artistic view are second to none of those guys I've seen on TV.