News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Stevearino

What it looks like when you don't make any attempt to lower the body on the LX platform .https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151859839450606&set=o.115202955214034&type=1&theater

cdr

I like your version MUCH better!!!!!  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Stevearino

myk

Quote from: Stevearino on September 25, 2013, 03:51:13 PM
What it looks like when you don't make any attempt to lower the body on the LX platform .https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151859839450606&set=o.115202955214034&type=1&theater

............................Well, I wouldn't exactly TOSS that thing out of bed but you're right-there's something definitely "off" about that particular car; admirable execution though.  Your project on the other hand is coming along nicely and will be a masterpiece when it's done.  Will we dare to say the best conversion to date?  I certainly hope so.  Hat's off to you!   :yesnod:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Baldwinvette77

I 'd love to see you do a sheet metal interior for this, just to see  more of your metal work  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Daytona R/T SE

Extend/lower the bottom of the doors and their openings to lessen the visual effect of the taller rockers. :scratchchin: :Twocents:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 25, 2013, 06:05:24 PM
Extend/lower the bottom of the doors and their openings to lessen the visual effect of the taller rockers. :scratchchin: :Twocents:

Oooooo Good idea  :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 25, 2013, 06:15:18 PM

Yep.

Worth a quick mock up with some poster board and tape.  :Twocents:

An inch or two would make a BIG difference.  :scratchchin:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 25, 2013, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 25, 2013, 06:15:18 PM

Yep.

Worth a quick mock up with some poster board and tape.  :Twocents:

An inch or two would make a BIG difference.  :scratchchin:

would be kinda fitting too since the car was lengthened  :scratchchin:

Stevearino

I am moving the opposite direction and removing the rocker extensions. I am going to reinforce the inner frame rail and cut the 1" pinch rail completely off. There is a little 1" by 1" flat left on the bottom of the 68 rocker that I may fill in with a 1"by 1" quarter round to blend into the rear quarter which I will leave alone as it is already pulled down 1". I was pretty happy with everything until the transition to the quarter panel bottom was pointed out and then I could not un see it :rotz: so I am going to keep as close as I can to the stock bottom line of the side and then perhaps black out the pinch rail when I paint the car. Either that or my other plan that also involves paint would be my original color scheme for this car which got side tracked because of the SRT-8 black on grey theme. That paint scheme was black sides where I have silver on the car and yellow on top with matte black hood insets. The black side kind of obliterates a lot of the visual cues.
This would involve lowering the door sill too so while that would definitely help balance things out I am not up for what that would involve.  I know that it might be hard to visualize what I am about to do but if you scroll to the picture of the car before I put the left front fender on you can see the one inch pinch flange and you can see that by removing it the profile will improve. Yet to be proven but that is where I am headed with this thing now.
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 25, 2013, 05:33:51 PM
I 'd love to see you do a sheet metal interior for this, just to see  more of your metal work  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
I will be lucky if I can adequately modify the stock 06 dash to go back in this thing. :eek2:  Hey here is one that hasn't been done. While I was putting the fenders on before the nose and wing was on this thing looked pretty cool as a 1970 Charger 500 which never existed.(Fast back that is) I can visualize this with the wrap around bumper with a flushed out grill with the 2010 Challenger headlights. Get to work Baldwinvettl77.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on September 25, 2013, 07:54:54 PM
I will be lucky if I can adequately modify the stock 06 dash to go back in this thing. :eek2:  Hey here is one that hasn't been done. While I was putting the fenders on before the nose and wing was on this thing looked pretty cool as a 1970 Charger 500 which never existed.(Fast back that is) I can visualize this with the wrap around bumper with a flushed out grill with the 2010 Challenger headlights. Get to work Baldwinvettl77.

:o I NEED TO FIND A 70 CHARGER, LIKE NOW!!!!!!!!  :drive:

Stevearino

This is the color scheme I had in mind originally.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on September 25, 2013, 08:00:37 PM

atleast you had an idea for a colour, i never had a clue what i'd do with mine, but i went to home depot and flat black rust paint was on sale  :shruggy:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 25, 2013, 08:08:17 PM

atleast you had an idea for a colour, i never had a clue what i'd do with mine, but i went to home depot and flat black rust paint was on sale  :shruggy:
Can't go wrong with that. Easy to touch up and never needs waxing.

Old Tired Rebel

Wow mind blowing. I wish I had met you before moving out to Oklahoma. I miss NC.

djcarguy

i like the 31 black an yellow the best,just my :Twocents:  your car do it for you and dont listen to us guys,,your car your labor an coin. do it your way and enjoy it.. :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :cheers:

pettybird

Is this a fantasy build, or did Vandiver run a black/yellow car at some point?

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on September 26, 2013, 09:48:21 AM

it's possible, but i've never seen a photo of vandiver's car in black. bobby watson's #8 car did look like that, although he also had a tail stripe at one point
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

I think Steve's model is dark blue, just not showing up well in the pics.   That is a very old build, and hand lettered too!   The color choices for model paint were much more limited back then too.

The surviving Vandiver '74 Charger race car is black with yellow but not the Daytona.  

Stevearino

Quote from: pettybird on September 26, 2013, 09:48:21 AM

How I came to build and paint this car this way is a complete mystery to me. I was pretty meticulous back 43 years ago when I was building these models but I don't know where I got the colors for this car. The car does not have Jim's sponsor so I was not working from a black and white. The only outside possibility to me could be a possible one time loaner from Bobby Watson for and event but that is pure speculation on my part. I have no way to know for sure if that is what happened here but I love the color combo and it was my first choice for this project and may end up being what I go back to for a number reasons. One of which is the great look of Dane's recently sold Yellow car which I absolutely love. Some lucky Louisianans riding around in that beauty right now.

Stevearino

So this is what I am thinking now. I am favoring the matte black hood inserts.

Baldwinvette77

The yellow isnt bad at all, but maybe more of a gold colour?  :scratchchin:

held1823

to heck with the full sized one for a while, let's see that model collection
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

Quote from: held1823 on September 28, 2013, 10:12:31 AM
to heck with the full sized one for a while, let's see that model collection
Rather than piss off the moderators by turning this into a model forum here is my album of survivor cars from 43 years ago posted on my facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/steve.mirabelli/media_set?set=a.374803635865875.94186.100000087251193&type=3