News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Next I had to cut away the old roll pan. I wanted to see if I could just repair it so I cut it free. After the seeing the back side made me realize it wasn't much of a roll pan anymore. More like some paint holding on to some rust . I replaced the bumper mount location points with some 1/8 th inch steel and fabricated the upper ledge of the roll pan which is just  an 90 degree lip. Then I welded it all in.  I was able to save the center of the old roll pan which is the most complicated piece of the stamping where the license plate hangs. There was just one 2x2 inch patch of metal to replace and I hit it with some Ospho to stabilize it.

Stevearino

With the center section cleaned up and back primed I welded  it  back to the car.
With the center section and the new corner piece back in place it was time to make and install the missing left side roll pan section.

Hemidog

Baldwinvette77

im liking the half 69 half 68 tail panel  :lol:

Bob T

Busy hands mate, good skills!
Also liking the Aero custom,nice one
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

On the right side of the car I wasn't as lucky to have a roll pan corner to reference so I made two profile patterns of the left side and used them to guide me on the shape and location.
I then installed a new right side roll pan piece up to my templates.
The third picture is of the completed roll pan.
Next it was on to more rusty metal replacement on the upper tail light panel. This right side dished piece was a little tough to make without a planishing hammer. It is kind of small for the English wheel but that is what I had to use after metal shrinking the edges and using a mallet and a sand bag to work the depression.

Stevearino

The first of these 4 pictures shows the tail with most of the upper section done as far as metal repair. The two tail light openings are roughed in and the upper right  corner of the quarter to tail pan needs to be made.
The second picture is of the right side lower quarter panel replacement steel after installation.
Picture 3 is of the right side upper corner completed.
The last picture here is of the tail light housings that I back engineered from the tail lights I was able to get from the guy Troutman for $75.00 apiece.

Baldwinvette77

Ooo those should look nice  :drool5:

djcarguy

awesum metal work your doing. really like seeing the old forgotten mopar bodies brought back to life. i think if ya save a rusty body ,build it any way u want.  totally like the Daytona,wing car projects.  thanks for showing us ya metal work. all the best on ya build ,an do ya have your shots up to date,haha.  latterDJ  :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs: :drool5: :popcrn:

GL#10

Great Work ! , keep the progress pics coming .

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on June 09, 2013, 02:32:50 AM
awesum metal work your doing. really like seeing the old forgotten mopar bodies brought back to life. i think if ya save a rusty body ,build it any way u want.  totally like the Daytona,wing car projects.  thanks for showing us ya metal work. all the best on ya build ,an do ya have your shots up to date,haha.  latterDJ  :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs: :drool5: :popcrn:
Thanks for the compliments and no I am not up to date. As you know this site is a bit hard to upload pics to so as I down size my photo files I am posting them.
Quote from: GL#10 on June 09, 2013, 04:03:26 AM
Great Work ! , keep the progress pics coming .
Thanks I will.

tan top

:scope:  clever stuff  ,    :yesnod:  .............. :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

The first picture in this group shows the final fit with the tail light lense in the surround before installation in the tail panel.
The second picture is of the surround installed  followed by a picture of a test fit of the tail lense.
The final picture  is  of the completed tail panel with the tail lights fit in place.  I use the rustoleum red oxide as a temporary  primer to prevent flash rust until I get to the bondo work.

Baldwinvette77

panhead

That is some outstanding work!!!     :2thumbs:

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

JB400

Your taillights look way better than stock as far as the gaps :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Thanks for the thumbs up  everyone.

djcarguy

I meant Medical shots..  tetnus and swamp fever???just kidding ,,great work on back and quarters. if ya were out west  NWcharger needs frame rails and all the metal he can get to save his xxDaytona...  his tread is,,it use to be a Daytona,, well its his car or parts now. might read it ,your car is allmost perfect compared to his project..

keep up the great work..latter dj :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on June 10, 2013, 05:06:28 AM
  I meant Medical shots..  tetnus and swamp fever???just kidding ,,great work on back and quarters. if ya were out west  NWcharger needs frame rails and all the metal he can get to save his xxDaytona...  his tread is,,it use to be a Daytona,, well its his car or parts now. might read it ,your car is allmost perfect compared to his project..

keep up the great work..latter dj :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Well I wish I could help with that situation. I am trying to be very careful with the removal of the body from the unibody frame so that it may be of use to someone who is in that position. Most of the frame components on this are not that bad. If I wasn't doing the body swap deal it would have been an excellent candidate for a restoration.   

Stevearino

Just read Nwchargers thread. Holy hijacked threads. I think only one page actually dealt with the car in question. The guy is a real optimist planning a project that may last 20 years. Well if Johnny Cash could "Build it one Piece at a Time" so can this guy.

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on June 10, 2013, 04:59:58 PM
Just read Nwchargers thread. Holy hijacked threads. I think only one page actually dealt with the car in question. The guy is a real optimist planning a project that may last 20 years. Well if Johnny Cash could "Build it one Piece at a Time" so can this guy.
:rofl: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

Time to move to the rear window.  I started by clearing away the support structure under the hatchback.  Next I clearanced the sail panels about 1/4 inch on either side . Next I test fitted the plug into place holding the bottom up with some 2x4 blocks until the window portion laid on the sail panels the way I wanted.  I tried relief cutting the lower section and working it down to the sail panels but I wasn't happy with the way it was torquing the lower window bed and decided that I would be more comfortable just cutting the lower section off in favor of putting in a new piece of metal. The last picture shows what is left of the window bed. While this might seem like a waste to only use the bed portion of the plug if you have ever tried to fabricate a window bed with tight radius's around a compound shaped piece of glass you  will know this remaining piece is a time saver.

Baldwinvette77

neat, i've always wanted to see how those hatches got installed  :popcrn: