News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on painting - newby

Started by XH29N0G, May 31, 2013, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am looking for advice on painting.  My 15 y.o. son and I are going to start working on a car.  I have painted once (at my second cousin's shop) in the early 1980's, but never since.

I don't have a shop or a ideal garage to do this, but I believe I could do things piecewise.   Right now we are not looking for something perfect.  Would someone be willing to point me to some good books or provide advice on what the outlay might be to do this.  I am inclined to  try because of the father son aspect of it.  I will pay attention if people on the list tell me to stay away, but I figure we have to learn sometime.

Thanks for any information and help ahead of time.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

If you care to slog through my adventure, a done on the carport with the input of members:  :lol:
  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88583.0/topicseen.html
  Lots of "fudging" done as my budget was tight, end result a twenty footer at best but I'm happy and most of the exterior is well protected. 

grizzlygiff1

I am no expert myself, but two online forums that I have been using for info are southernpolyurethanes.com and autobody101.com . Both are very helpful with newbie questions. You can get a decent job if you listen to these folks. Paint has changed since the 80s. so have paint guns. Modern paints are commonly "2K" or 2 component paint and activator for curing. Also more common today is base coat clear coat systems that are more user friendly over single stage paint like you probably used back in the 80s (enamel or lacquer). You can also use single stage urethanes today. You must decide if the investment in proper tools will be worth it for you. Good compressors and guns aren't cheap, but you can usually find decent used stuff if need be. I have been slowly gathering the things I will need to paint my charger with my son who is 13, so I can relate to what you are trying to do. Good luck!

1970Moparmann

There is a forum at autobodystore.com that is very informative.  I spent many days on it researching and asking questions. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Patronus

What color? That will dictate quite a bit of advise.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

XH29N0G

Thanks you for the input so far.

The car is grey metallic clear coat (for full disclosure it is not a Dodge, but a 1981 BMW).  The neighbor sold it to him for cheap when heard we were looking, and my wife and I thought it was a good place to start.   I figure does not need to be perfect - this is in part to learn and if he learns he can do it again.  

Mine is the charger and I am having someone else paint that....

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XH29N0G

As soon as I get it back  :icon_smile_big: I will post them.  Some from before it went to be painted were posted last year. 

Unfortunately, it has taken longer than anticipated to get it back.  I am still hoping it will be only a few weeks.  :yesnod:

Or maybe it protects us.