News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Undercoating inner wheel wells

Started by 71green go, May 28, 2013, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

The wheel wells of my car are painted Body color.....although it looks clean I am not sure for a daily driver type car that they should be left that way....what is most common?...Undercoat them...or leave painted?
The other thing that kind of bugs me is that you see the green around the wheels...maybe on darker colors its not quite the same issue?
Thoughts?

bull

To my knowledge the wheel wells always got undercoating due to rocks flying out of the tires. But even if they didn't always get it I strongly recommend you do because you don't want any inverted dents in your fenders.

71green go

good advise......Any easy to get undercoat options?........not looking for mopar correct

1974dodgecharger

paint POR 15 in the wheel wells?  They claim that stuff is stronger than a hammer hitting it...well thats my plan anyways.

71green go

POR 15 may or may not chip with rocks but as pointed out will not stop rocks denting the inner fender from inside out......you need to apply a built up coating to absorb the blows......
I am guessing I will just use a Rubberised undercoat as opposed to an asphalt based product........it should absorb the rocks well..
was just looking to see what other products people may have applied?

maxwellwedge

The undercoating from Frank Badalson or Resto Rick is as close to factory as what's out there in look and function.....that would be my only pick.

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 29, 2013, 07:27:48 AM
The undercoating from Frank Badalson or Resto Rick is as close to factory as what's out there in look and function.....that would be my only pick.

I tend to agree with this, even though 'factory correct' is not a necessity to you. I say this because the original type stuff not only looks right but it acts right when it comes to the design of our cars. Newer cars have a lot of plastic in the wheel wells that insulate road debris from the actual metal so undercoating there really doesn't exist anymore; I believe it's normally just used for sound deadening and corrosion prevention on the exposed metal surfaces today. The RestoRick stuff has some good depth to it and it stays flexible and somewhat soft. Honestly I think functionally it would be your best bet.

c00nhunterjoe

For what its worth I use truck bedliner. That stuff is pretty indestructable.

pandamarie

3m makes an undercoating in a rattle can, you can get it at most napa auto parts and just about any automotive paint store. I just did the wheel wells on my freshly painted Daytona clone. Truck bed liner stuff is the best though  a lot tougher. I used it after installing a new trunk floor in my challenger.

Cooter

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 30, 2013, 04:47:13 PM
For what its worth I use truck bedliner. That stuff is pretty indestructable.
:2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"