News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW PLUG QuEsTiOn! **********^^***********$$$$******

Started by xx29440charger, June 08, 2013, 10:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

How many hours would it take to do the complete plug work for a Daytona clone? I am using a correct year Vega hatch...glass is out of the hatch and the rear window is out of the Charger. I have all the metal material including the trunk hinges and closeout trunk panel and I also have the correct dutchman panel. I understand that the trunk needs to be shorten... My project has been sidelined but now I am back in action. Any approximate estimates would be appreciated!  I am not doing the work myself, I was wondering aprx how many hours this would take and I know all bodyshops would have different times....thanks!  I am looking for a bodyshop in the Northern California San Francisco area if anyone knows of any..

hotrod98

From start to finish you're looking at approximately 40 to 50 hours with the body work finished out and primered. That's cutting the vega plug, cutting the trunk opening, installing the Dutchman, cutting the deck lid and installing the closeout panel, making the ledge for the package tray finish panel, fitting the hinges and then doing the body work. It's not as easy as it appears to get it looking and working correctly.

This doesn't include any hours to remove the headliner, interior or reinstalling same. Doesn't include any painting.

The most difficult part, in my opinion, is fitting the deck lid hinges and making them work properly.
I'm thinking about doing something completely different with the hinges on my next clone. Those long hinges make it very difficult to get the deck lid to come down centered and then have the deck lid sit properly. I might try to use shorter hinges and lift shocks.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Stevearino

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2013, 03:06:24 PM
From start to finish you're looking at approximately 40 to 50 hours with the body work finished out and primered. That's cutting the vega plug, cutting the trunk opening, installing the Dutchman, cutting the deck lid and installing the closeout panel, making the ledge for the package tray finish panel, fitting the hinges and then doing the body work. It's not as easy as it appears to get it looking and working correctly.

This doesn't include any hours to remove the headliner, interior or reinstalling same. Doesn't include any painting.

The most difficult part, in my opinion, is fitting the deck lid hinges and making them work properly.
I'm thinking about doing something completely different with the hinges on my next clone. Those long hinges make it very difficult to get the deck lid to come down centered and then have the deck lid sit properly. I might try to use shorter hinges and lift shocks.
That's how I did mine. The only thing to be careful of using the shorter hinges is that it doesn't bind on the low end of the plug when opening.

Daytona Guy

Keep in mind that you can't tweak that frame when the window is out or your rear glass will not want to fit back in right. I have even done the pre-fitment while the glass was still in the vega hatch till I had to remove the glass to go further.

Danew

6PakBee

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2013, 03:06:24 PM

Larry, you have a PM waiting for you.