News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Busted fan and radiator, why did this happen?

Started by Dino, June 09, 2013, 01:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Dino, do you know the pitch on this Hayden fan?

The original 215/216 fans were steel.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

I have no clue Bill.  I would guess to say that the pitch is less than the stock fans seeing they don't recommend these for engines running 4000 rpm +.

Since my car is a cruiser and all I had before was this stupid flex fan without a shroud and no overheating issues, I don't think there will be a problem but we'll see.  So far I can't find anything online where someone had one of these fail so that's a start!  Besides, I can always swap the fan later if I come across one.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 13, 2013, 11:28:33 AM
I don't think you need a spacer with a viscous fan package.  Shrouds ? what shrouds I have never needing one.  :shruggy:
[/quote

x2

Hemidog

Dino

I installed the Hayden 2765 clutch and the 3816 fan and guess what, the damn fan hits the steering pump bolt.   :brickwall:

Now I have to go back out, get longer bolts and find a friggin' spacer! 

Getting the clutch on the hub with the fan installed is one of the most annoying jobs I have ever done!  What a pita!

bill440rt

What is the diameter of this Hayden fan, Dino?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

False alarm.  I don't know what happened but when I removed the clutch and fan and reinstalled it, it cleared everything.  Whatever it was, it was my doing so we're good!   :2thumbs:

The fan is 18" diameter Bill.  IT clears the power steering bolt and pulleys by roughly 1/2 - 5/8" and there is about an inch between clutch and radiator.  Haven't measured yet but I can stick my hand in between. 

Everything is back in place, coolant added and it runs again.  I need to tune the TQ but I'm happy to say it idles real nice, way better than the eddy so that's a good start.

Now all I need is a vacuum gauge so I can tune this thing.

Hemidog

Dino

There is about 1 1/16" space between the radiator and clutch.  I'm not sure if a stock shroud will fit as I've never had one.  I can assume that in order to mount the shroud the fan or radiator needs to be removed or can it be maneuvered on without taking it all apart?

Brightyellow69rtse

looks great man! could you post exactly what you bought for me if you dont mind?  could you measure the total assembled length of it? meaning the distance from the mounting pointon the water pump to the face of the clutch meaning the closest part to the radiator?

i too have a flex fan that has been waiting to explode. i would rather get it before it gets me.

A383Wing

that's about the clearance I have on the dream 66 without a fan shroud...so far, no issues...looks like I got the same fan blade as well

Bryan

Dino

Sure thing.  Both clutch and fan are made by Hayden,  The fan is part number 3816 and is 18" in diameter.  Since Bill asked I'm going to see if I can figure out the pitch of the blades.  Note that the fan Is not recommended for use over 4000 rpm.  This doesn't mean the fan will shatter if you go over it as they need quite the buffer to cover their butts, but if you race your car I'd go with something else.  I usually stay under 3000 so it works for my application.

The clutch is part number 2765.  Both parts were available at my local parts store.

I was going to buy the Imperial 18" fan from advance auto but they were out and couldn't order more.

Oh and use grade 8 bolts.  Neither parts come with bolts although there are 4 split washers that come with the clutch. Clutch to pump uses 5/16 5/8" or 3/4" depending on the washers you use, I use a plain and a split washer wherever I can.  The fan to clutch bolts I used were 3/4" but had to use an extra washer.  That said I think a 1/2" bolt with only a split washer may be a bit short.  The threaded parts in the clutch are only 1/2" deep.  I was able to torque the bolts to specs and everything seems rock solid.  Now watch me eat my words when the fan goes through the hood on the first test drive...oh god that hurts just thinking about it.

Brightyellow69rtse

i just went out and measured from the water pump pulley to the radiator. i have exactly 4 inches of clearance. so leaving a 1" air gap it leaves me three inches to play with.  im guessing thats gonna be pretty hard to find a clutch and fan to fit that combo.

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on June 16, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
that's about the clearance I have on the dream 66 without a fan shroud...so far, no issues...looks like I got the same fan blade as well

Bryan

The flex fan I had was about the same distance from the rad as the clutch itself and my temps were fine, never had it overheat so this will likely work as well but it would be nice to have the shroud on, if only to protect myself and the car if the blade fails.

Dino

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on June 16, 2013, 10:32:30 AM
i just went out and measured from the water pump pulley to the radiator. i have exactly 4 inches of clearance. so leaving a 1" air gap it leaves me three inches to play with.  im guessing thats gonna be pretty hard to find a clutch and fan to fit that combo.

You'll be fine with these parts, I have a 3 row c-body radiator which is thicker than stock so I only have 3 3/4" between rad and pump.  The clutch is 2 5/8" thick and the fan does not make it thicker so you'll have 1 3/8" to spare.   :2thumbs:

Brightyellow69rtse

awesome. I'm gonna look into a different fan though. i "occasionally" go over 4k rpm  :lol:

Dino

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on June 16, 2013, 10:45:33 AM
awesome. I'm gonna look into a different fan though. i "occasionally" go over 4k rpm  :lol:

:lol:

I know moparsal has an original 7 blade steel fan for sale so you may want to contact him.

ACUDANUT

Revving over 4K is fine in the fan dept. The water pump bearing however, is another story. :Twocents:

A383Wing

Dino...the fan blade will never see 4,000 RPM in it's life...the blade is on a clutch...yer engine will see 4K, but the clutch slippage will never allow the blade to see those speeds if my math is correct.

this of course being true unless the clutch itself locks up

Bryan

A383Wing

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 16, 2013, 10:54:14 AM
Revving over 4K is fine in the fan dept. The water pump bearing however, is another story. :Twocents:

AC pumps will see 4k all day long....if your engine is doing 2k to 3k, look at pulleys on crank & WP, the water pump is way smaller, so it will spin way faster than crankshaft...think of bicycle sprockets

Bryan

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on June 16, 2013, 12:11:48 PM
Dino...the fan blade will never see 4,000 RPM in it's life...the blade is on a clutch...yer engine will see 4K, but the clutch slippage will never allow the blade to see those speeds if my math is correct.

this of course being true unless the clutch itself locks up

Bryan

Ah yes, I didn't think of that.  Thanks!   :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

What works well is the Jaguar clutch & A Flex-A-Lite 18 " 6 blade fan , the jag clutch is hsort enough to fit the b bodys prior to 71 which have about 1.5 " more clearance . The Jag XjS 6 or 12 cyl works

Dino

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 16, 2013, 03:29:47 PM
What works well is the Jaguar clutch & A Flex-A-Lite 18 " 6 blade fan , the jag clutch is hsort enough to fit the b bodys prior to 71 which have about 1.5 " more clearance . The Jag XjS 6 or 12 cyl works

I think that's what I got!   The blade is the flex-a-lite and I'm pretty sure this clutch is an oem replacement for Jags.

Brightyellow69rtse

im wondering how i can tell if i have an aluminum or stainless one? is there an easy way to tell?  id hate to replace it if the blades on mine are stainless.   also any fan can have a clutch on it correct?

A383Wing

Quote from: Dino on June 16, 2013, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 16, 2013, 03:29:47 PM

I think that's what I got!   The blade is the flex-a-lite and I'm pretty sure this clutch is an oem replacement for Jags.

me 3...but I got the non-thermal clutch