News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Upper control arm bushing removal, for poly bushings! No one can do it

Started by WH23G3G, February 24, 2006, 12:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I dropped off an upper contorl arm to a guy around here that has done a lot of Mopar restorations, so I thought he would be able to do it. I needed the old rubber bushings and strut bar taken out. But the outer shells had to stay in for the new poly bushings. Well he had it two months and promised me that it was ready. Well when I showed up today to pick it up regardless of whether it was ready or not, he obviously hadn't even touched it. So 2 months and 40 miles away each time I drove up there, and nothing was done. So I took and decided I'd try to find out how to get it out myself. How can you get this out without tearing up the outer shells?

moparguy01

what I did was pounded out the whole shells, then had to buy a set of new replacements from the parts store (stock rubber) and pushed the sleeves off of it.

your best bet would probably be to torch them out.

chargerbr549

If I remember right I just took a propane torch or use any kind of torch  and started the rubber on fire and let it burn out the rubber, you make all kinds of smoke and somewhat of a mess but it all comes apart very easly and then some clean up with some type of thinner or solvent. You should be able to slide every together and if not you can make a tool out of allthread, nuts and washers and use it to squeeze it together.

74Rallye

Exactly what Chargerbr549 said. It's not too hard. Threaded rod and a large washer assortment go a long way with suspension work.