News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Charger Shackles

Started by hollywood1336, June 18, 2013, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywood1336

I made a set of shackles for my 1968 Dodge Charger. I purchased a set of heavy duty leaf springs, sway bar kit and shocks from Firm Feel out of Washington and the shackles provided in the kit are just painted shop steel with zinc plated hardware. During installation, even though I handled with care, the paint chipped on the shackles. I left them overnight, and the next day they already started to flash rust, I don't know about anyone else, but I hate to see rust on any fresh parts when I look underneath a car, especially on a new rebuild or restoration. These shackles are a direct replacement and are made from .375" thick 300 series stainless steel. The included hardware is 300 series stainless as well. They will fit 68 thru 70 Chargers and I'm guessing should fit all 68 thru 70 B-Body cars. I was thinking of having a batch made and offering them for sale if there is enough interest. The price of the kit would be $120 + shipping (I think about $8 for UPS ground) for what you see in the picture plus a small satchel of anti-seize for installation, bushings are not included. 300 Series stainless is non magnetic and has excellent corrosion resistant properties. I have fabricated lots of stainless steel components and used stainless steel hardware throughout my 68 Charger restomod. If you are interested please contact me and when there are enough people I will have them made, I'm thinking 30 people minimum. The shackles will be provided in a brushed finish.

I am also going to make the front leaf spring hanger bracket out of stainless with multiple holes so ride height can be adjusted if required, stainless steel hardware will also be included. I will post a picture when it is made.

In case there are concerns using stainless steel:
The rear shackle bolts are 1/2" diameter.
A 300 series stainless steel bolt has the same strength and is classified as a grade 3 bolt, a 1/2 " grade 3 bolt has a sheer strength of 10,300 lbs. A 1968 Dodge Charger weighs approximately 3500 lbs with a weight distribution of 60% of the weight in the front and 40% of the weight in the rear (this is a very conservative estimate based on engine installation). 40% of 3500 lbs = 1400 lbs. Divide 1400 lbs by 4 bolts, 2 per side = 350 lbs static loading per bolt.  If we assume during hard driving, driving over pot holes, railroad tracks or driving at the track the rear of the car can see up to a 10G loading, then 10G's x 350 lbs = 3500 lbs max loading on each of the 4 rear shackle bolts. This does not take into account the damping effect of the leaf springs or the hinge motion of the rear shackles which help to reduce shackle bolt loading. This estimated loading still yields a margin of safety of 3 utilizing the class 3 stainless steel bolt.

Look under your car and see what your shop steel shackles look like.