News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW - Charger 500 with a 440

Started by Kowal, June 19, 2013, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 19, 2013, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 19, 2013, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 19, 2013, 03:17:35 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 19, 2013, 03:08:15 PM
Your the Cult Ring leader  , well you and Danny   ;D :nana:

I feel so left out.........  :whistling:  Can I at least be a member of the C500-sect?
you graduated to Wing Snob  AB  

Don't hate me because I'm feathered.......
That makes you chief, don't it? :icon_smile_big: :notworthy:

C500

Without any rust repairs needed, solid body and interior, 4 speed, I think 50k  :yesnod:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Kowal on June 19, 2013, 08:22:58 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on June 19, 2013, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: Kowal on June 19, 2013, 07:41:57 PM
R4 red, 4 speed
Without knowing about rust repair or how it looks now with aftermarket parts etc.. I'll say $45K-$50K

Perfect body, great paint. 

But are all the panels original , or was any metal replaced ? ( ie  quarters, floors, trunk, etc.)
That would come in to play regarding price for those buyers who would prefer having original metal than a number's matching car.   Of course ideally it would have both ..  :icon_smile_big:

69_500

R4 red, 4 speed driver quality C500. I would put a value at an auction between $40-52. Closer to the lower end if it is black interior and if it does not have a broadcast sheet. If has a sheet figure would be in the middle of two values. If it is white interior slightly higher. Now options after that could bring it up to the high point, and possibly take it over that range. Ie power window, six way seat, am/fm or 8 track.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on June 20, 2013, 08:53:13 AM
R4 red, 4 speed driver quality C500. I would put a value at an auction between $40-52. Closer to the lower end if it is black interior and if it does not have a broadcast sheet. If has a sheet figure would be in the middle of two values. If it is white interior slightly higher. Now options after that could bring it up to the high point, and possibly take it over that range. Ie power window, six way seat, am/fm or 8 track.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:     Grand Poobah   has spoken   :icon_smile_big: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on June 20, 2013, 08:55:38 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on June 20, 2013, 08:53:13 AM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:     Grand Poobah   has spoken   :icon_smile_big: :nana:

Or, the Force-meister of C500 knowledge

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

Mine was only appraised for 45 the way it sits with out a dress and makeup and that was back in 05
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 20, 2013, 11:15:37 AM
Mine was only appraised for 45 the way it sits with out a dress and makeup and that was back in 05
prices were alot higher in 05   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: moparstuart on June 20, 2013, 11:21:22 AM
prices were alot higher in 05   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
And I honestly don't think you can compare appraisal values vs market values.  :Twocents:

Kowal, I think you've got your range, and at least an idea of one based on details in the replies.
So the question is.. you gonna  buy it?  ;D :popcrn:

Ghoste

You can't compare agreed upon insurance values to market values either.  No one has here, just pointing out there is a lot of misleading yet authoritative value information out there.

Kowal

Quote from: WINGIN IT on June 20, 2013, 12:39:42 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 20, 2013, 11:21:22 AM
prices were alot higher in 05   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
And I honestly don't think you can compare appraisal values vs market values.  :Twocents:

Kowal, I think you've got your range, and at least an idea of one based on details in the replies.
So the question is.. you gonna  buy it?  ;D :popcrn:

Well, the car is quite nice, owner history to the beginning and current owner has had for 20 years.  I think he is going to put all the stock parts back on, he has the 1969 original parts including the rims and hubcaps, and then come out with it.   I forwarded this to him along with the Mecum results.   He was hoping for a bit better, which given the originality he might be able to get as he works on it.   I would love to buy it, but he isn't quite there yet.    Thanks to all!
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

ws23rt

So how much is it worth? No one wants to feel foolish even those with more money than sense. The seller wants to get near the high end and the buyer wants to buy at the low end.
The C500 is a small niche market so it is hard to find compareables. The true value of this car will be known when a deal is agreed to. But it will only apply to this car at this time.
Since both buyer and seller tend to be shy about the deal we may never know what that value was.
The value is established when the deal is done.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: ws23rt on June 20, 2013, 06:49:28 PM
So how much is it worth? No one wants to feel foolish even those with more money than sense. The seller wants to get near the high end and the buyer wants to buy at the low end.
The C500 is a small niche market so it is hard to find compareables. The true value of this car will be known when a deal is agreed to. But it will only apply to this car at this time.
Since both buyer and seller tend to be shy about the deal we may never know what that value was.
The value is established when the deal is done.

I agree, time will tell and if time could talk we'd know what the car is/worth at that time ...  :yesnod:
I think I just confused myself...  :eek2:   :lol:

Ghoste

Or stated the opening scene of a Star Trek episode.

moparstuart

69_500

Personally I wish the values on the 500's were higher but reality is that other than a few odd people like me these cars are over looked by almost everyone. At mix car shows I am lucky if more than one person even knows what my car is. Even at Mopar shows they get walked past and hardly noticed. Especially if there is a Daytona or a Superbird parked close by.
Me I am drawn to them. Love the lines. Now do not get me wrong a Daytona is a better looking car hands down, but the 500 is very easy on the eyes too. Would love to have a 4 speed version in my garage.
Tell the owner if he wants to sell the car to give me a shout. A 4 speed would look good parked next to the AT. Would make a nice pair.

Ghoste

I'll go one better and be the heretic and say that to me, the 500 is better looking than the Daytona.  You are still the 500 savant but I prefer them over the wing car. :shruggy:

69_500

Troy I had to chuckle at your Yoda picture, only because I am sitting in basement wearing a Yoda shirt as I type this.
He is my favorite Star Wars character.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: 69_500 on June 20, 2013, 09:49:03 PM
Troy I had to chuckle at your Yoda picture, only because I am sitting in basement wearing a Yoda shirt as I type this.
He is my favorite Star Wars character.

The best... he is... :icon_smile_big:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ghoste on June 20, 2013, 09:31:23 PM
I'll go one better and be the heretic and say that to me, the 500 is better looking than the Daytona.  You are still the 500 savant but I prefer them over the wing car. :shruggy:

I'm with Ghoste. C500 is the ultimate musclecar in my book.

ws23rt

Quote from: 69_500 on June 20, 2013, 09:28:42 PM
Personally I wish the values on the 500's were higher but reality is that other than a few odd people like me these cars are over looked by almost everyone. At mix car shows I am lucky if more than one person even knows what my car is. Even at Mopar shows they get walked past and hardly noticed. Especially if there is a Daytona or a Superbird parked close by.
Me I am drawn to them. Love the lines. Now do not get me wrong a Daytona is a better looking car hands down, but the 500 is very easy on the eyes too. Would love to have a 4 speed version in my garage.
Tell the owner if he wants to sell the car to give me a shout. A 4 speed would look good parked next to the AT. Would make a nice pair.

I'm one of those few odd people that are drawn to the C500 too. Over the past 30yrs or so that I have had mine few people have recognized it for what it is. Sometimes I will be talking to someone next to the car and they take a few extra looks over the car and ask is something different here? I remember a comment from a wrecking yard referring  to it as one of the cheap/plane models without headlight doors.
The Daytonas and Superbirds got remembered for some odd reason :o but when they were new it was a bit much for the general public.
I wasn't interested in the wing cars back then like most of my friends. The clean smooth lines of the Charger were kept with the C500 but the wing and nose made it a different animal.
The value of these cars has much to do with the number of folks that even know what they are and as we slowly migrate to the brown side of the lawn I suspect it won't change much. Now if a new hot movie came out and say they raced and jumped C500s that would raise interest and maybe lead to cloning  :eek2:
Question How many are accounted for VS number produced?  Danny?

Bob T

True enough. If the much touted number of 392 built is correct, then 500's are a very rare beast indeed.

It was all about the wing and snout for years for me, but as a mate is currently doing a full noise rotisserie resto on his F8 500, I've come to appreciate them highly . Can't wait to see it hit the blacktop
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

ws23rt

Quote from: Bob T on June 21, 2013, 07:24:53 PM
True enough. If the much touted number of 392 built is correct, then 500's are a very rare beast indeed.

It was all about the wing and snout for years for me, but as a mate is currently doing a full noise rotisserie resto on his F8 500, I've come to appreciate them highly . Can't wait to see it hit the blacktop

:2thumbs: They may be on the side line but their small numbers makes them that much more special.
Aside from that it is fun to answer questions about the car as opposed to listening to someone tell me about my car.

A383Wing

I want one more & more every day....but I doubt it will happen for me

69_500

I can account for 273 Charger 500's still being around. Of those I have personally seen 181 of them. Others I have pictures of. And a few only been told details about as they have not been out n daylight since before I was born.