News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel guage and oil gauge pegging out

Started by roger01, August 06, 2005, 08:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger01

ill try it tomorrow ...whats supposed to happen ?... needle just stay down to left ?

Ex President

LOL... i must know what fixes this for you. It's so weird that your gauges are doing the exact opposite as mine.

All of mine started working right with the new "home made" regulator, but my Temp. still acts stupid..  :'(

Plumcrazy

Quote from: roger01 on August 11, 2005, 10:07:39 PM
ill try it tomorrow ...whats supposed to happen ?... needle just stay down to left ?

All the guages shouldn't move.  And you should get a flashing test light if you check the ends of the wires that connect to the guage sending unit

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

martinihenry

I think this'll help you. These are pics of my conversion, and the article I used to help me out. The data sheet for the LM7805 regulators actually recommend using two capacitors, mounted as closely as possible to the regulator, one across the input, and one across the output to prevent noise and hysteresis (noise caused by the control element inside the regulator switching). Hope this works out for you.

Jason

•
http://www.martinihenry.com/temp/instrumentreg/instrumentreg.html
•
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

roger01

thanks for the info everybody appreciate it ....iwent ahead and did the upgrade it  took me a while to round up the 3 lousy oparts though .
apparently radio shacks up here in canada have been bought out by the source ......well its a source of nothing but garbage and very few electrcal components...
  anyways i couldnt bring myself to solder on back of the board so i took the guts out of my old limiter and mounted  everything on its back so i can just plug it in .
   my gages stopped pegging out ....good news ... the bad news is the fuel guage says full now its climbing slowly to full then dropping to just under full its reacting much differently then beforeas it used to just stay pegged .
  i disconnected all the sending units and put a test light on it lit up every time i diconnected the wire from the gas tank and the fuel guage dropped to empty i touched the same wire to ground and the fuel guage read full ...now i dont know but i think my guages are good and the fuel tank sender is shot ... what do you guys think ........

Ex President

Sounds like it..... Congrats on getting it fixed....

Any word on my temp. gauge issue... ???  :eyes:

roger01

i assume you changed the temp sender unit ...it may be that your wire to the guage is shorting out did you test the wire ?

Ex President

Oh yea... all of the above. I even ran a "dummy wire around the side of the car just to "double" check. No workee..

The only thing i can think of is that maybe the circuit board is bad on the cluster. Even though, when i hit it with the test light, all shows good.

So if you hear about a board that might be available, holla at me!!