News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can the ignition coil make noise?

Started by StockMan, July 02, 2013, 08:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I posted a problem way back with a strange 'Churping' or 'Squealing' noise that seemed to come from the engine compartment.  I ruled out all of the obvious things, like ps pump, alternator, water pump.  The sound never really went away, but did seem to become less prominent as time passed.  And, over time I moved to a new transmission and then to another motor.  After that I figured I would be done with the annoying sound but lately I've been hearing it again.  The only engine/trans components that are the same on the car are the coil, plug wires.  The 'Sound' I'm hearing actually changes slightly with changes in timing, and seems to be more prominent in the more advances timing positions.

This brings me to my question, are ignition coils capable of making noise?

Thanks 

Ghoste

StockMan

I'm baffled then.  What could possibly generate this type of noise?  I've ruled out many things like, like all the belt driven components, and the engine/trans are both new since the problem first began.
And it does change slightly with adjustments to timing, which lead me to believe its something close to the ignition system.
Its not as prominent at cold engine temps.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

green69rt

Are you 100% sure it's not belts?  Easy way to check is to get a spray bottle of water and spray on the belts while engine running, if noise changes or stops you found the problem.  

StockMan

The sound still occurs with all belts off. Thanks.

ottawamerc

Possible grounding in the coil? easy test is drop a different one in there and see if its gone?
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

green69rt

StockMan

Thanks for your replies, its not easy diagnosing an odd noise when you can't listen to it. 
Ghoste is probably right about coils not making noise, but for the peice of mind I may just try a different one, not much to swapping it over.

Ghoste

Ghoste is seldom right, just opinionated. ;)

StockMan

Ha, I'm sure if you were here you'd have this thing figured out...

It wouldn't be so bad but I've been after this %$@$% noise for a while now, new 440, new trans, new everything, and the noise comes back???
Frustrating...

Well, I'll have to keep an eye on it, the source will reveal itself sooner or later...

Thanks

ws23rt

These cars are not rock solid. Lots of flexing going on. I would try  a soapy spray on things like hood hinges, rubber isolators, etc.

green69rt

Another idea...look at the shock tower nuts.   They shouldn't squeak but who knows?    Just give them a turn tighter.

StockMan

Thanks for the ideas, I'm ready to try anything.

469 runner

Is your coil aftermarket or stock?  I had a Mallory coil that was very noisy, buzzed all the time.  I don't mean buzzing through the radio speaker, actually buzzing loud enough to hear inside the car. I had it mounted to the firewall and even tried rubber isolators.  No help.  It was a coil not in oil but epoxy. Had to be a manufacturing  defect.  Tossed it and got another, it was quiet.  I think the epoxy was loose in the first one.

Ghoste

Buzzing wouldn't surprise me, like a transformer.  Who am I to say they shouldn't squeal or chirp?

A383Wing

StockMan

I had the distributor apart and lubed it before assembly.  I used a stock coil as well, it would be quite old to.
I'm going to try another coil, wouldn't that be something else if thats all this was.

And like I mentioned, certain timing positions seem to trigger it.  Adjustments to timing would also affect dwell, which could leave the coil charging differently.
The odd thing though is that when I shut it down, just as it comes to the point where engine stops, it lets out a short 'Churp' or squeak.

I look forward to trying another coil, I'll report back after I do this.
Thanks

A383Wing

exhaust rubbing frame or something? heat riser? motor mounts?

tan top

Quote from: A383Wing on July 02, 2013, 09:47:18 PM
dry dist shaft?

was just thinking something going on in the distributor  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
springs come off & jamming up somewhere  :shruggy: but if you had it all appart & you say the timing ok anyway  ,

this is a far out  idea / thought now ! :image_294343:
what about the distributor shaft bushing in the block ,  different metals expand at different rates , when the block heats up the bushing is looser  , maybe the oil pump gear it tight too in the bushing  :shruggy:
 , & in reality you prolly would not hear it turning anyway , like i say was just a far out guess , cause all what the other guys have mentioned , i think  just about covers all the things that could make a noise ,
just had another thought , did you  try running the motor with out the power steering belt ,? what about problem with fan clutch :scratchchin: arrr but you said you took all belts off , forget that then , & you have replaced most parts & noise is still there  :scratchchin:

got me racking my brains now  , what pulley set up , has your car got AC ,  , or what about the parts you have not replaced ? :scratchchin:
any chance you could post some pictures of engine bay , or a video of the motor running with the noise ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

thegeneral266

Hi There,
I had the same noise on my 68 charger, it came and went and drove me bananas :brickwall: I eventually tracked it to the PCV Valve on the engine.
I replaced it and never heard the noise again :icon_smile_big:
:cheers: Phil

A383Wing

just remembered last night one of my cars had squeaking noise at times...turned out to be a galled rocker arm & rocker shaft

chargd72

I would get a mechanic's stethoscope and put it on every piece under the hood until you find the culprit.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

469 runner

Quote from: chargd72 on July 03, 2013, 09:11:27 AM
I would get a mechanic's stethoscope and put it on every piece under the hood until you find the culprit.
That's the best idea yet.

ws23rt

Maybe something inside timing cover. cam bolt, chain, oil slinger ?
OOps you said you changed engine.  Body parts come back to my thinking if it's not a talking coil.