News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TRW L2266F Pistons

Started by cudaken, July 04, 2013, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Ron and others, any thoughts on the L2266F? I maybe buying a 440 and while it is still a stranded bore motor (low millage, 300 street and 20 passes at the strip) I have to assume it going to need to be bored. Summit has them cheap at $330.00.

I had them in the ill fated Blower Motor Disaster and one of the pistons where marked at 30 but was only 15 over which TRW doe not make!  :shruggy: Machine shop sure dropped the ball on that one!  :brickwall:

My goal are simple, run 13's (high 13's are fine or even low 14's) in a 68 Road Runner with a 2000 to 2500 stall and 3:23 gears.

With a zero deck height and either 906 or 352 heads (I think they are 352's heads  :scratchchin:) what would the compression be. On the head gaskets, you tell me what to buy.

Now this build is way off in the future, but I think I am getting a good deal on the 440 so I am going to buy it!

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

The 2355 6-pack replacement pistons are a better choice because of the increased compression height. The 2266's are around .080 below deck while the 2355's are .020 on a factory spec 10.275 deckheight.

If you're machining the block from scratch the 2355's are nice to work with because you just need to remove .020 off the deck surface to achieve "zero deck"  :2thumbs:

With an 84cc closed chamber aluminum head and .040 head gasket you get a perfect pump gas build ; tight quench and 10.5:1 static compression.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68RED4SPEED

I just steal the thread a minute, I have a block that's decked 0.030 is it a big nono to go with 2355 in this engine.

Cooter

DO NOT run 2355's in a 440 with stock deck height and IRON heads with steel shim gaskets. You WILL be running 100 Octane fuel and replacing many starters.. Quench my ass.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Quote from: Cooter on July 05, 2013, 05:25:25 AM
DO NOT run 2355's in a 440 with stock deck height and IRON heads with steel shim gaskets. You WILL be running 100 Octane fuel and replacing many starters.. Quench my ass.

That combo can run on pump gas but you need the right cam to bleed off some cylinder pressure. If it's making more than 165psi cranking pressure with iron heads you will run into detonation issues. Tight lobed cam profiles should also be avoided in this scenario because they spike mid-range torque.  :P

Cooter, i have a friend that runs the same combo ; 915's & 2355 slugs with a 509 using fel-pro .040 gaskets and he street drove and raced on 94 octane for years.  :yesnod:

Do you have ethanol free fuel available in your area ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

redmist

I would look at the SRP offerings, they are lighter by a bunch also.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

firefighter3931

Quote from: redmist on July 05, 2013, 11:55:50 AM
I would look at the SRP offerings, they are lighter by a bunch also.

Yep, lots of good choices in aftermarket pistons that are a bunch lighter than the 2355/2266 slugs.  :yesnod:     

Might even be able to balance internally with a heavy 6-pack connecting rod.  :scratchchin:

Ron

cudaken

Yep, lots of good choices in aftermarket pistons that are a bunch lighter than the 2355/2266 slugs.  yesnod     

Might even be able to balance internally with a heavy 6-pack connecting rod.  scratchchin

Ron, I am guess must have read you my other post about the motor! Motor is a race car engine that has 440-6 pistons (guessing forged) 6-Pack rods and has been internally balances so I don't need the 6-Pack balancer.

My hopes are to open the motor, have the motor checked out and new bearings and rings installed and have a little fun!  :2thumbs:

As I stated at the beginning of this post my HP goals are modest. I will have to do the math but I am thinking I could get by with around 400 to 425 HP.

I am still hoping I can get use out of the Blower Heads I have, they only have 125 miles on them. I wish I had flow numbers, I wounder what it would cost to have them tested?  :shruggy: I think the valves are 1.88 and 2.14, intake side are matched ported and exhaust side have had a lot of work. While I was breaking the engine in (And I do mean breaking  :brickwall:) the 440 ran well with the Reed cam that Dennis did for me and stock intake and 750 Holley.                                                                                           

Anyway, if I where to uses L22665F's how bad off would I be? While I know that $100.00 is chump change (differences between the two pistons) if I do this, I will have to be on a shoe string budget.     

Broke again, Cuda Ken
I am back