News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stuck Door

Started by Matthan, July 13, 2013, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I have a 1969 Dodge charger and the passenger side door will not open. I have tried from the the outside and inside Any help.

Baldwinvette77

Jump through it!!!!!  :icon_smile_big:

in all seriousness though i had a corvette with this problem, the actual latch mechanism crapped out and i had to tear apart my interior door panel and release it with a screw driver, mercifully it was a junk panel anyway, however, vettes have a more modern latch type, hopefully doing the same thing to a charger will be less destructive  :shruggy:

oh and one other thing, for some reason on another vette having one person push the button on the outside and another person pull the release on the inside opened the door, so i'd try that first

Matthan

Any body have any pics or have had this problem on a charger.

Ghoste

Do the handles feel like they are even moving the mechanism?

Finn

Take off the inside panel (which means chrome trim, handles, and arm rests) and then feel in the bottom of the door for a metal rod. Sometimes they disconnect and won't engage the latch.

Or since I see a general lee in your avatar pic, maybe someone welded it shut?? :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dino

Mine used to do that and it was sticking because it was rarely used and the grease had turned into cement.

Try some love taps from the inside (ie put your shoulder against it) while pulling the handle.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Matthan

Got it loose...not sure why is was stuck but I greased up the door locks so it should not happen again.

fy469rtse

They weren't very strong welds holding that door shut  :lol: must have been bo's side

Ghoste

Quote from: fy469rtse on July 14, 2013, 05:04:09 AM
They weren't very strong welds holding that door shut  :lol: must have been bo's side

:smilielol: :smilielol:

moparguy01

chances are your grease turned into a rock. I'd go in there with a good scraping device and remove it, and put new grease in there.

matchek

my issue is I cannot get my 70 Charger passenger door to lock . 
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

matchek

When you were able to unlock it and grease it, did you have to remove the door panel?   

By the way, on the 70 model, to remove the inside door panel, you really have to remove the chrome trim too?
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

XH29N0G

Reading this brings back a memory of my sister (I was the driver back and forth to school), opening the door, unrolling the window, shutting the door, and then hopping in through the open window yelling something like yeehah.    It was in the early 80's and yes she was channeling  the DOH.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Arigmaster

Once you get it freed up you may also want to check your door hinge pins.. The charger doors are long and heavy and if the pins go bad the door drops slightly when you open it and it plays havoc on the catch pin and latch assy.