News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door sill plates and extensions

Started by Dino, July 26, 2013, 11:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Mine look pretty beat up so I'd like to clean them up a bit.

The extensions have some pitting on the side so what material are these things made of?

Can anyone post a picture of theirs so I can see how much of a shine they're supposed to have?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Dino

That's what I thought but the extensions show rust.  I know the repro's are aluminum.  Maybe only the door sill plates are aluminum and extensions are something else?

resq302

The extensions should also be aluminum.  Could have gotten some rusty water over it at some point which caused it to appear it to have rust.   :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

johnnycharger

Hi Dino
mine are aluminum for the front and rear mine are also corroded and had rust on them I think the rust is actually transferred from the jamb where they are mounted. one actually had holes through it I sanded down the backside and treated it with rust-oleum rust converter I don't know if it will do any good but I figured it couldn't hurt

Dino

Quote from: johnnycharger on July 26, 2013, 11:38:14 PM
Hi Dino
mine are aluminum for the front and rear mine are also corroded and had rust on them I think the rust is actually transferred from the jamb where they are mounted. one actually had holes through it I sanded down the backside and treated it with rust-oleum rust converter I don't know if it will do any good but I figured it couldn't hurt

Ok that makes sense.  If I'm careful I'll be able to save mine but I'll have to be real careful.

How shiny are they supposed to be?

bill440rt

The extensions are anodized aluminum, just like the grille trim is anodized aluminum.
And, if yours are really crappy they can be purchased repro and are inexpensive. Check Mega Parts, Herbs, etc.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

johnnycharger

I can't say for certain but I believe they should only have a slight shine. No mirror/chrome type polish job.

bull

Extensions? :shruggy: Anyone got pics of this?

cdr

Quote from: bull on July 28, 2013, 02:28:20 PM
Extensions? :shruggy: Anyone got pics of this?

thanx bull i was wondering the same ,,,,,i have some of those in my boxes of parts,now i know what they are for. :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bull

Never seen them or heard of them in my life. :shruggy: Where do they go?

Ghoste

Back of the door sill n the inside at the bottom of the rear side interior panel.

bill440rt

There are rights & lefts.
The U-shaped end sits under the sill plate and is held down with the rearmost sill plate screw. They then run along the edge of the carpet at the bottom of the trim panel and along the rear seat, they help secure the rear carpet at the edges. Another screw holds them down at the back.
If you look along the floor you will see the hole where the rearmost screw goes just at the base of the trim panel.
I checked my pics but don't have any of just these extensions installed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

johnnycharger

Not but maybe it'll help :shruggy:

P.s. I have this set for sale..

Ghoste

What year did they start using them?

bill440rt

Ghoste

Ok, and that's what I was wondering because some seem to have them and some are missing.  I knew the 1st gens didn't but I was wondering if 69 was maybe the first year and that was why Bull hadn't heard of them.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on July 29, 2013, 06:38:08 AM
Ok, and that's what I was wondering because some seem to have them and some are missing.  I knew the 1st gens didn't but I was wondering if 69 was maybe the first year and that was why Bull hadn't heard of them.

I've never had a Charger that had them, but I've only owned three.

Dino

Quote from: bull on July 29, 2013, 10:01:25 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 29, 2013, 06:38:08 AM

I've never had a Charger that had them, but I've only owned three.

Same here and none of them had the extension pieces.  Funny that they can't repro the much needed grille but they can repro something nobody even knew they needed.   :lol:

Ghoste

I've seen them on some but any of the 68 and 69 B-bodies I've owned (5) haven't had them.  I wonder if it was a sometimes installed part or just what?

moparfan53

I agree with Bill440rt that all 2nd gen had them/should have had them. My '69 I bought in 1975 had them. Another '69 I bought in 2010 only had one but I could see the marks/hole where the other one had been. I have noticed at shows that quite a few cars don't have them and have wondered why. Perhaps as mentioned here, if they are gone when a car is bought, the owner is not aware of them.

Below is an installed pic.

HeavyFuel

The pic above illustrates a good point as to why so many are missing on cars.....the whole set up is not designed very well.

You can see that the sill is not down tight against the carpet or the extension.  The edge of the extension is shaped to fit tight under the sill, but to get that accomplished is tough. 

I tried in vain to get mine to fit right, and my pristine extensions now live in my extra parts drawer.  If you leave enough carpet to tuck a little bit under the rear door panel, it actually looks really good.

Dino

Quote from: moparfan53 on July 29, 2013, 10:42:56 PM
I agree with Bill440rt that all 2nd gen had them/should have had them. My '69 I bought in 1975 had them. Another '69 I bought in 2010 only had one but I could see the marks/hole where the other one had been. I have noticed at shows that quite a few cars don't have them and have wondered why. Perhaps as mentioned here, if they are gone when a car is bought, the owner is not aware of them.

Not saying it is, but that doesn't look right.  Any way to tuck the edge under the quarter panel or swap sides to line them up better?

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on July 31, 2013, 02:35:01 PM

Not saying it is, but that doesn't look right.  Any way to tuck the edge under the quarter panel or swap sides to line them up better?

They can't swap side to side, they are slotted/holed for left and right.

They shouldn't go under the door panel...that just creates other fitment problems with the panel and such.

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on July 31, 2013, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 31, 2013, 02:35:01 PM

They can't swap side to side, they are slotted/holed for left and right.

They shouldn't go under the door panel...that just creates other fitment problems with the panel and such.

So even if you wanted to put the left side on the right so the thick edge is away from the door panel it still would not fit?  Well that bites!

I'm gonna play with mine a bit and see if I can line them up nicely before I polish them.

HeavyFuel

Good luck...I hope you get 'em in.   

I think one of the main culprits is the aftermarket door panels.   They fit differently (thicker), and tighter against the floor.  The older panels had more 'slop' .

mopar0166

Never knew my car had these extensions , guess I got to order them

Dino

I forgot all bout this thread. Back when I posted this I removed the rear panels and cleaned them up the. There's was quite a bit of silicone between the panels and the car frame, I guess someone was a bit messy getting the plastic in place. Cleaned it all up and the extensions fit nicely. It does look nicer with them in place, a nice finishing touch.   :yesnod: