News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Non-factory" color opinions

Started by Dreamin_A4_69, July 30, 2013, 01:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamin_A4_69

I say "non-factory", but it just wasn't an option for Chargers in '69! I know my log-in is Dreamin_A4_69, but I see a color for '69 Imperials (EA9, Charcoal Metallic) that I really like. I've seen Challengers painted with a color something like that. Really bad a$$ in my opinion. Would I be committing "blasphemy" to the Charger Gods by going with a color that wasn't available on the line? :-\ I truly value all the information and opinions found here! :2thumbs:

cdr

paint it the color YOU want,its your car................
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dreamin_A4_69

Thanks, cdr! I was just checking out the link to your resto. WOW! :2thumbs: You've really come a long way and it's ALL good stuff! Keep it up!

Ghoste

No blasphemy just Charger love.  Paint it to be yours.

JB400

Make it to where you enjoy it, and post pix. :popcrn:

Patronus

I would never paint a stock color.. :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

remta1

paint it what you like , some really good late model car colours ....easier for colour matching later on too :2thumbs:

Scaregrabber

It's all fun until you go to sell it.

Sheldon

GOTWING

hey my 73 charger came pale green from the factory , it's FJ5 now and i'm going with FJ6 for it's restoration. ( not a high dollar car either )

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 31, 2013, 12:27:08 PM
It's all fun until you go to sell it.

Sheldon

Unless you have a #'s match oem restored car potential buyers are going to try to rape you regardless. Even then the oem restored cars have way more invested than the "top dollar" they fetch.

HeavyFuel

Depends on the car's current degree of originality and what your plans are for it.

It would be kind of a shame for #'s car that was staying with a mostly stock look to have a non-available color for it's model year.  For instance, Plum Crazy on a '68...it just doesn't look right.

But you can't go wrong if it makes you happy!

Dreamin_A4_69

Thanks everyone for the discussion. My Mopar infancy, back in the early Eighties, was spent around some pretty die-hard Mopar families that had extremely nice and very valuable cars that were almost perfect in every aspect. I never would have considered painting a car any color than what it said on the fender tag, just because of the negative comments it would have brought. I guess I'm getting over that with age. Only problem now, is that I should have chosen a more generic user name for this forum! This is "just" a base model 318 A/C car that's getting a 440 and at least an 8.75 rear behind a 727 tranny. I kick myself for selling off an R/T SE about 7 years ago. This car needs much less work, body wise, and I have it just about down to its shell to start the bodywork and paint. I just want it to be nice again, and somewhat affordable to drive and enjoy. :cheers:

Dino

Quote from: Dreamin_A4_69 on July 31, 2013, 11:30:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the discussion. My Mopar infancy, back in the early Eighties, was spent around some pretty die-hard Mopar families that had extremely nice and very valuable cars that were almost perfect in every aspect. I never would have considered painting a car any color than what it said on the fender tag, just because of the negative comments it would have brought. I guess I'm getting over that with age. Only problem now, is that I should have chosen a more generic user name for this forum! This is "just" a base model 318 A/C car that's getting a 440 and at least an 8.75 rear behind a 727 tranny. I kick myself for selling off an R/T SE about 7 years ago. This car needs much less work, body wise, and I have it just about down to its shell to start the bodywork and paint. I just want it to be nice again, and somewhat affordable to drive and enjoy. :cheers:

When I drive my car, the last thing on my mind is what others think.  I can't stand this purist bs.  It's a friggin' car.  If you need to get all upset because it's no longer puke green then you need to find another hobby, or at least get out of my sight.   

Enjoy YOUR car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Scaregrabber

He's asking opinions so I would say he's curious what other people would think when they see the car on the road. I own my cars for myself as well but I've seen a lot of people paint their Mopars a modern colour and then have trouble selling them a year or so later. He asked an opinion and I gave it. I agree that if it is a non stock colour that the cars generallly look better with a colour that could almost pass for a Mopar colour offered that year.
Quite frankly the car will look great in any colour but orange IMHO.

Sheldon

Patronus

Quote from: Dino on August 01, 2013, 09:06:50 AM
Quote from: Dreamin_A4_69 on July 31, 2013, 11:30:00 PM

When I drive my car, the last thing on my mind is what others think.  I can't stand this purist bs.  It's a friggin' car.  If you need to get all upset because it's no longer puke green then you need to find another hobby, or at least get out of my sight.   

Enjoy YOUR car.

Well said sir! Well said indeed!!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dreamin_A4_69

Like I said, I'm getting over it with age! I will be making it MY car and I WILL be enjoying it no matter what anyone else says! Just happy to be back on the Charger owners' bandwagon. :yesnod: Thanks to all for your thoughts! :icon_smile_big:

HeavyFuel

Lots of room in the 'hobby' (and I use that term loosely.....it can turn into an obsession quickly) for everyone.  Some folks get very passionate about their preferences, get aggressive about convincing others that their tastes are 'correct'.  I don't agree with that approach; everyone has the right to do things their way, and should not have to worry about acceptance....modified, pro-stock, pure stock, whatever.  How's that for Utopia?    

Have fun with your car.   :cheers:   At the end of the day most people just don't give  :Twocents: about anyone but themselves, no matter what they say to you, so do things your way.

ACUDANUT

If it is a #'s matching Mopar, The paint is the easiest thing to fix, should you have to sell it to a Purist in the future. Your car....Your way. :cheers:

1970Moparmann

My 68 was green on green on green.... I just couldn't keep it that way.  I painted it black on black and LOVE it. 

On the other hand I have a Superbird which isn't original color.  This one I will paint it correct once the restoration happens.  :Twocents:

If it's a keeper, who gives a rats ass.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ODZKing

My 73 was bronze with black top and parchment interior.   :eek2:
It's now (P1) red with white top and interior.
Unless it is 100% matching numbers and you plan on showing it as such ... It's your car, do what you want with it.

69chargerboy

My 69 was B7 with B7 interior. I love my Mercedes Benz Brilliant Sliver with Black. Do What you want!  :Twocents: :cheers:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

JB400

stripedelete

Quote from: 69chargerboy on August 05, 2013, 02:41:46 PM
My 69 was B7 with B7 interior. I love my Mercedes Benz Brilliant Sliver with Black. Do What you want!  :Twocents: :cheers:

So was mine(B7/B7) and now it's silver with black.  I'm about 30-40 miles west of you.  We should get them together one day.

Dreamin, I wrestled with the same thing.   To stay "period", my compromise was 68 silver and that is my only regret.   Ironically, a Benz silver was the other choice.       

Dreamin_A4_69

I have seen so many pictures of Chargers on the internet, but haven't really noticed any like I'm thinking of doing mine. Without searching through old posts on the forum, does anyone out there have one painted in the '69 Imperial color Charcoal Metallic or any similar "modern" color? I'd love to see it in finished form! I'm thinking of going with the black vinyl on top. Not an R/T, so no rear stripe, or if I do, a factory style stripe without the R/T on it.

JB400

A color similar to this 500, or a little darker? :popcrn:

Dreamin_A4_69

It's actually quite a bit darker than that. I'm trying to add a picture I have saved of the color chips from 1969. It is technically "EA9" on Imperials only from the factory. I'm trying to add the jpeg I found of the color chips. I need to re-size it first.

Dreamin_A4_69

Dreamin_A4_69

Stroker,
You're making me wish I had a Batmobile in the driveway! :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :cheers: :drool5: :drool5:

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!

69chargerboy

Quote from: stripedelete on August 05, 2013, 10:47:00 PM
Quote from: 69chargerboy on August 05, 2013, 02:41:46 PM

So was mine(B7/B7) and now it's silver with black.  I'm about 30-40 miles west of you.  We should get them together one day.

Dreamin, I wrestled with the same thing.   To stay "period", my compromise was 68 silver and that is my only regret.   Ironically, a Benz silver was the other choice.       

Your that close to me? Sweet. We should definitely meet up. Are you planning to attend the MoPar show in Norwalk Raceway this Sept 13-15? I don't mean to jack the thread... :icon_smile_big:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Dino

Quote from: Dreamin_A4_69 on August 06, 2013, 12:17:05 AM
I have seen so many pictures of Chargers on the internet, but haven't really noticed any like I'm thinking of doing mine. Without searching through old posts on the forum, does anyone out there have one painted in the '69 Imperial color Charcoal Metallic or any similar "modern" color? I'd love to see it in finished form! I'm thinking of going with the black vinyl on top. Not an R/T, so no rear stripe, or if I do, a factory style stripe without the R/T on it.

Someone just did a major mod job on a 70 and was featured at the last SEMA show.  It's a charcoal based color.  There's others but have no clue who's.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

stripedelete

Quote from: Dino on August 06, 2013, 08:08:48 AM
Quote from: Dreamin_A4_69 on August 06, 2013, 12:17:05 AM

Someone just did a major mod job on a 70 and was featured at the last SEMA show.  It's a charcoal based color.  There's others but have no clue who's.
[/quote

:yesnod:  There are actually two that are pretty close in color to Dreamin's chip.