News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why Doesn't the Daytona Have a Hood POP UP SPRING?

Started by Speedfreak, August 18, 2013, 08:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedfreak

The Superbird has one on the latch tray, why doesn't the Daytona?  Does anyone really know why?  The regular Chargers did.

A383Wing

often wondered myself...it's a pain sometimes to open the hood....I had a couple springs that slipped over the hood pin studs that pushed up on the hood when pulling the hold down pins

hemi68charger

Quote from: Speedfreak on August 18, 2013, 08:26:28 PM
The Superbird has one on the latch tray, why doesn't the Daytona?  Does anyone really know why?  The regular Chargers did.

MaMopar wasn't smart enough with the Daytonas........ The Superbird got a good "lessons learned" engineering modification..... I know I hate opening the Daytona's hood when it is hot...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on August 18, 2013, 08:36:32 PM
often wondered myself...it's a pain sometimes to open the hood....I had a couple springs that slipped over the hood pin studs that pushed up on the hood when pulling the hold down pins

great idea !!! :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Speedfreak

I like that idea!  Going to Home Depot to see if they have some type of spring that would work.  Where did you get yours, any place online???

JB400

You should be able to just get a regular coil spring in the hardware department of your local home improvement store that is the right diameter and length.

A383Wing

yea..I went to a good hardware store..the spring is fairly stout..not a thin coil spring...and only tall as the hole in the pin stud...maybe 7 coils total...I cannot compress it with my fingers

maybe I got a longer one and cut it...I will have to look again

Bryan

Daytona Guy

The best reason I can think of is that the Daytona has a 1" gap and the hood comes up pretty easy. The Bird nose to hood gap is relatively close and would have been very hard to get your fingers under it to lift. I noticed this on my new Blue Daytona build because I made a flush mount nose to fender, and I had to have a spring. It works great. I know this is not located in the factory bird local, but it was the best place for mine.

remta1

Quote from: Speedfreak on August 18, 2013, 10:08:55 PM

I like that idea!  Going to Home Depot to see if they have some type of spring that would work.  Where did you get yours, any place online???

fantastic idea

myaerocars

On my 'Bird clone I did not put the spring on.  But when I had a friend work on my car one day at his transmission shop, he said "here". He handed me 2 springs from  a pile of them he had from old transmissions. I slipped them over the pins and nuts to rest on the inner fender.  Free and works good, too.

Godspeed,
JON   

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Speedfreak on August 18, 2013, 08:26:28 PM

I always found that whenever I looked at my car that I could generate the sound of a spring without ever opening the hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFyWPeou4Gc