DodgeCharger.com Forum
August 15, 2018, 02:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator over charging ???  (Read 323 times)
Highbanked Hauler
Old Timer

« on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

I got stuck on the road last fall and got a rebuilt alternator to get home. I have a blue MP regulator for a 69 and it was charging at 14 volts instantly when I put the alt. in and didn't drop. I started the car for the first time since last fall and it went right to 15.4 volts. As it ran it didn't go below 14.5 and obviously shouldn't be more than 13.5 .. Are these "blue" regulators junk ? I haven't seen an alternator put out that much juice before. At that voltage won't it will shorten the lives of bulbs and the battery ? Shocked

69 Charger 500, original owner  
 68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
 92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
 04 PT Cruiser
Bronzedodge

Triple Tan. T3 T3 C6T

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:06:30 AM »

"Blue" voltage regulator?  You mean the MP 13.5 constant output voltage regulator?  Opinions vary on it's use on the street, or even how it functions.  It's supposed to maintain a minimum of 13.5 output, which can shorten bulb and battery life.  Mopar says race use only.   Twocents

Mopar forever!
Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:28:47 AM »

I had that same regulator and the same issues. I replaced it with the '70 model and got a 90A alternator. All is well now!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Highbanked Hauler
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »

"Blue" voltage regulator?  You mean the MP 13.5 constant output voltage regulator?  Opinions vary on it's use on the street, or even how it functions.  It's supposed to maintain a minimum of 13.5 output, which can shorten bulb and battery life.  Mopar says race use only.   Twocents

I had the same MP blue regulator from 1992 till  last year and no problems,it ran 13.5 volts forever but it died so I got another MP blue regulator which ran about 14.0 volts but as soon as i changed the alternator I was up over 15 volts.  The 69 has different wiring plugs than a 70.

69 Charger 500, original owner  
 68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
 92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
 04 PT Cruiser
Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »

Oh right, I forgot. I customized some of my wiring.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: