News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Hemi Daytona: Parts, Pieces, and Chunks...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, August 24, 2013, 05:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

The Imperial column had these cool metal sliders on it's mounting bracket.

So I swapped them over to the Charger bracket in place of the flimsy plastic ones that came on the Charger.

Daytona R/T SE

I've ordered one of these.

I'm going to attempt to conceal the transmitter inside the Charger steering wheel center, and the receiver somewhere inside the nosecone.

If it works I can get rid of all the complicated bullshit in the steering column that was previously used to blow the horn.

A383Wing

I like the tilt-telescope column idea.....have often thought about one myself.....the only issue that I can see (unless you have already figured it out), is that the steering wheel looks to be a lot closer to your body than a non C-body column....

You could always move the seat back to compensate, but then you would be farther away from the gas and brake pedals as well.....

or am I just overthinking this entire scenario??

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: A383Wing on August 17, 2017, 07:29:21 PM
I like the tilt-telescope column idea.....have often thought about one myself.....the only issue that I can see (unless you have already figured it out), is that the steering wheel looks to be a lot closer to your body than a non C-body column....

You could always move the seat back to compensate, but then you would be farther away from the gas and brake pedals as well.....

or am I just overthinking this entire scenario??

Yep. I've thought of that.

With the six way power seat track I've added I'm able to move the seat pretty far back and down to give me more headroom.

I'm a big goon with ape arms, so it shouldn't be a problem.  ;)

A383Wing

glad yer back at your project....mine came to an abrupt stop in February, our septic drain field failed, had to have an entire new septic system installed here.....to the tune of around $35k

not sure when or how I'm gonna get our Daytona finished in time for the Aero Reunion in 2019.....money is the biggest issue right now, of which I have none

(sigh)

Daytona R/T SE

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 17, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
It telescopes.  :2thumbs:

It tilts.  :coolgleamA:

Stay tuned. ;)
Aww hell, I just realized that about two months ago I said I'd look for my tilt/tele column for you! Sorry, I completely forgot about it until now...woops. :-\  Looks like you don't need it any longer, though.

I'm glad to see that so far it appears the column will work in place of the stock ones.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Charger_Fan on August 18, 2017, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 17, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
It telescopes.  :2thumbs:

It tilts.  :coolgleamA:

Stay tuned. ;)
Aww hell, I just realized that about two months ago I said I'd look for my tilt/tele column for you! Sorry, I completely forgot about it until now...woops. :-\  Looks like you don't need it any longer, though.

I'm glad to see that so far it appears the column will work in place of the stock ones.

:cheers:

If this works out,

I might need another one.

I've got other project cars... :scratchchin:

If you find it, let me know!  ;)

Stevearino

Glad to see the pilot light has lit the burner again. I hope both you and your wife are feeling better and that your only concern for the foreseeable future is just how comfortable you can get your cockpit. No use building them if your uncomfortable driving.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on August 18, 2017, 06:46:24 PM
Glad to see the pilot light has lit the burner again. I hope both you and your wife are feeling better and that your only concern for the foreseeable future is just how comfortable you can get your cockpit. No use building them if your uncomfortable driving.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

I went to the "St. Louis Mopar Blast" a few weeks ago and bought two more C body tilt/telescopic steering columns to dissect for this project.

The two steering columns I already had were missing some of the small parts, theses two are complete, so...

Problem solved. :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

While I was at "The Blast" I got my AMD back bumper and bumper guards from Ted Stephens.

I also got a new set of rear bumper brackets and the bumper guard/exhaust hanger brackets.

It's getting cold outside, I'm going to finish up a few more outdoor projects and start back working on the Daytona.

Maybe this time I'll make some progress. :scratchchin:

Stay tuned...

Stevearino

kevs1969daytona

Wheres the best place you found to get those repo parts, like trunk hinges, wing trunk braces, rear window and plug etc etc.  Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 14, 2017, 08:43:31 PM
Wheres the best place you found to get those repo parts, like trunk hinges, wing trunk braces, rear window and plug etc etc.  Any advise would be great.

Thanks

The wing braces came from Ted Janak.

The rear window glass came from Iowa glass ( No longer in business )

The trunk hinges and rear window plug, I made myself.

Fitz73Chrgr

I'm excited to see some progress on this build!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

moparstuart

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on November 20, 2017, 08:46:07 PM
I'm excited to see some progress on this build!
dont get to excited he's very old and slow 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Daytona R/T SE

I'm making a second attempt on the steering column project.

I've started over from the beginning, this time with a 1967 tilt/telescopic column from a Chrysler.

The 1967 column I bought a few weeks ago is 100% complete, the one I was working with was missing a few things..

Also, the '67 column uses a regular steering coupler like the Charger had, the other column had that big, rubber biscuit style coupler. :eek2:

Today, I started to disassemble the '67 column, and I cut off the C-body floor brackets and the lower  shifter arm.

200MPH

Charger

odcics2

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 17, 2017, 06:07:56 PM

So I swapped them over to the Charger bracket in place of the flimsy plastic ones that came on the Charger.

They changed to plastic to prevent this:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: odcics2 on December 13, 2017, 06:39:09 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 17, 2017, 06:07:56 PM

They changed to plastic to prevent this:

They changed to plastic to be cheap.

The metal sliders still slide, allowing the column to collapse on impact. :Twocents:

Daytona R/T SE

Today, I bolted the modified '67 Chrysler tilt/telescopic steering column into one of my junker parts cars.

I figured it was safer to do the test fitting in junk that doesn't have expensive B5 blue all over it.  :eek2:

Everything bolted up just fine. :coolgleamA:

It actually fits.  :2thumbs:

( Ignore the column shift lever...it's leaving.)

Daytona R/T SE

As I suspected,the deep dish of the woodgrain wheel places it too far back... :scratchchin: