News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad start to weekend

Started by charger1972, August 31, 2013, 11:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

The cylinders look perty.  Hope it runs as good as it looks, with no problems

72Charger-SE

WOW!!  Nice!!  Congrats on the new engine!   That thing will ROCK :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:

firefighter3931

Hey James, the new shortblock is just what the doctor ordered.  :2thumbs:

Todd @ Compwedge does excellent work....you made a very good choice using him. I wouldn't hesitate one second to have him build something for me. Top Shelf shop and extremely knowledgable  :yesnod:

What's the plan for the top end & cam ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

Yeah Ron, another reason this forum is so great. That`s how i found him. :2thumbs: It`s got a comp custom grind nitrided solid cam in it now. Specs are .571/.585 258/264 @.050 . He says he uses it on allot of his 500 inch builds. Told him i wanted Indy heads, he suggested the ez heads and some port work. He also recommended the hughes rockers. And your right , really cool guy to talk to. And he has a drag strip nearby.

firefighter3931

That sounds like a nice cam. Should be very streetable and make excellent top end power  :icon_smile_big:

Todd builds everything from mild to wild so you're in good hands.  :yesnod:

Fwiw, the pistons in my 572 were ordered through Comp Wedge Racing  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

So i went to buy the balancer  that was recommended by someone on here, and found it cheap on e-bay. Got a call they were out of stock and would it be ok to send a different one.  So i get the better one (sfi certified) for the same price. Score!

Cooter

Damn, nice engine. I know in my own 505 Dart with .562 lift 265 @.050 solid Comp cam it makes tremendous power from 3000-7200.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger1972

Cant wait to get it all together. I have a pile of parts sitting here, ups and mail were here twice today dropping things off . Just waiting for the heads to be done at the machine shop.

firefighter3931

Good score on the Harmonic balancer James....it's allways a nice suprise when you get more than what you paid for.  :icon_smile_big:

Usually, it's the other way around  :eek2: :lol:

Ron

charger1972

So got my heads last night ........... still need one head gasket and the head bolts. And the intake he got is , well , not gonna fit as is . He doesn't seem to concerned but it is WAY off .

charger1972

Intake to wide ?

charger1972

Anyone here running the Hughes rocker arms ? Tried to mock them up and with the spacers they wont sit between the pedestals on the head . I got every thing lined up and in by removing the thin spacers and using the shims . Is that what you are supposed to do ? 

ottawamerc

Wow man I'm just thinking that now you must be pretty happy that the valve dropped on you last year, the new heart looks soo nice :drool5: I'm jealous.
Congrats on a great build, you gotta post up a video once its running!

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

charger1972

Yeah , the valve breaking last year sucked. Seeing your car loaded on a trailer is never a good feeling . But the end result should be great . Just gotta get through some of the fitment problems , like the intake and the push rods i got are to short .... 

firefighter3931

James, what is the pn on that intake manifold ? Mopar makes several different manifolds for different cylinder heads and the Stage VI MP heads use a wider manifold. The one that fits your RB block with Indy EZ max wedge ports is the #337 (part number ends with 337)  :yesnod:

I would call Hughes and ask them about the fitment issues with your EZ heads.

Ron

charger1972

Hey Ron , Todd said to use the big spacers and the shims instead of the thin spacers . According to him , the most important thing is if no spacer to have at least a shim . So i did that and it fits  , just takes some patience to get the right amount of shims so the play is right . I`m gonna have to look for a part number on the intake .

charger1972

Intake part # 4532757 .So... a quick search and looks like its for stage 6 heads ?

charger1972

Big thanks to Ron for helping sort out my intake problem . Got cut to fit pus rods from the engine builder ,Indy ones . The cheap tool from Mancini doesn't work on them , to big around to fit in the tube . So took a couple tries but , welded one up . Not pretty, but works .

charger1972

Not sure my hood is gonna clear my air cleaner ....

firefighter3931

Looking Good Jim !  :2thumbs:

The MP aircleaner has an odd dimension (13in diamater ?) so the normal drop base won't fit. Some guys have been using a Ford Motorsports drop base that is the correct diameter to work with the MP style filter/lid. Might be something to check out if you want to keep that black crinkle top  ;)

Otherwise you can just replace the whole deal with an aftermarket 14x3 assembly with a 1.25in drop base.  :yesnod:

Ron

charger1972

I`m crossing my fingers my bulge hood will have enough bulge to clear it . And i just fired it up , did the 20 minute break in . 20 minutes at 2000 rpm = 5 gallons of gas .  :eek2: But that's to be expected .  :2thumbs:

charger1972

So , just got back from another test drive ...... WOW ! Thanks Ron , he suggested a hotter plug among other things . Was having a hard time cranking , battery in the trunk . Somehow broke the snout off the starter so when i replaced it last night , Ron recommended running a ground from batt to engine instead of the frame . What a difference ! Cranks over way faster ! Not quite perfect yet , but way better than it was . Thanks again Ron and everyone on this site for the help .   :cheers:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

charger1972

So , I didn't want to start a new thread but .... Was thinking of selling my sixpack set up . Iron intake, but choke butterfly removed . Stock oval air cleaner with 3 inch k&n air filter . 3/8 fuel lines that I made , but inlet on wrong end because had an electric fuel pump and fuel feed was at the firewall . Rear carb has pro max base for easier air fuel adjustments . One other thing is no throttle cable bracket . Any way , was thinking listing it for 1500 ? That sound fair ? Thanks for any input .

myk

Why are you selling the 6 pak?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"