News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Here is the best pic I have of the finished ear

JB400

keepat

nvrbdn

Wow, How have I never seen this thread. What an amazing job of posting step by step repairs. I just spent a good bit of a morning going through this entire thread. It reads like a great restoration book. I have been glued to it.  Thanks for the time you are investing to allow others to follow so closely with how each aspect of the process is completed.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

XH29N0G

This is really impressive.  Thank you for sharing.  I realized that I have been looking at these threads for a long time, but never added my thank you. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

mopar4don

Quote from: keepat on December 16, 2018, 10:53:12 AM
Very nice job!!

Thanks Pat!

Quote from: nvrbdn on December 16, 2018, 11:28:47 AM
Wow, How have I never seen this thread. What an amazing job of posting step by step repairs. I just spent a good bit of a morning going through this entire thread. It reads like a great restoration book. I have been glued to it.  Thanks for the time you are investing to allow others to follow so closely with how each aspect of the process is completed.
Your comment is exactly how I felt when I 1st came across this awesome forum and the restorations I found within the site. I couldnt wait to read more.
This site (and a couple of others) is what gave me the courage to attempt to restore my Charger!

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 16, 2018, 02:42:04 PM
This is really impressive.  Thank you for sharing.  I realized that I have been looking at these threads for a long time, but never added my thank you. 
You are welcome my friend!

mopar4don

Again, Thank you all for the encouragement!

And just so everyone knows, All of the broken joints have staples.
They should add a lot of strength, and hopefully help to hold it all together.

Here is a couple of pics

mopar4don

Ok the next thing to fix is the drivers side headlight door stop.
Apparently this is commonly broken. Why it happens on the drivers side only? Maybe because it is a little heavier than the passenger side because of the emblems? Or possibly to much pressure from the vacuum actuators.... who knows. All I know is, I don't want it to break again. So I decided to make the stop out of steel! (another member did this, I don't recall who, but thank you)

Here is a comparison of passenger and drivers headlight doors with the missing stop

mopar4don

I started out by making templates of the pass side stop. Just flip the templates over and you have the drivers side.
So I did a bit of cutting and bending then clamping and test fitting

mopar4don

So I needed a way to hold it on so I kind of boxed the one side in

mopar4don

So I realized the metal piece that I added on the back side was NOT going to work!
With it on, I would never be able to get it off!
So I removed it, and added this two pieces

mopar4don

Here is what I have so far. And comparing to the pass side... I am in the ballpark

mopar4don

So after a LOT more fitting this is what I ended up with

mopar4don

So I plan on panel bonding it and using a couple of rivets to secure it.
Hopefully it will hold! :yesnod:

Hemidog

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mopar4don

Thanks guys.

Now it's time for some paint.
I got the brackets epoxy primed and the rest of the parts in primer.

mopar4don

If you look closely at the 3rd pic you can see the rivet on the metal door stop

Fonzy

Very nice work :2thumbs: First time I've heard of a hot stapler to be honest but I might need one. Seems like a really handy acquisition.

Stevearino

Reminds me of those people who restore old paintings sitting there working one square inch at a time with various solvents and such. This is what it means to Restore something. Love it Don.

TexasGeneral

When I first saw I thought you were making a mold to cast new plastic ears.. Never thought to just make new ones from metal :scratchchin:

mopar4don

Quote from: Fonzy on January 15, 2019, 01:12:25 PM
Very nice work :2thumbs: First time I've heard of a hot stapler to be honest but I might need one. Seems like a really handy acquisition.

It belongs to a friend... Thanks Rafael! And it worked VERY well!

Quote from: Stevearino on January 15, 2019, 07:30:48 PM
Reminds me of those people who restore old paintings sitting there working one square inch at a time with various solvents and such. This is what it means to Restore something. Love it Don.

That is pretty much what I am doing, going over every square inch of this car!

Quote from: TexasGeneral on January 15, 2019, 11:12:24 PM
When I first saw I thought you were making a mold to cast new plastic ears.. Never thought to just make new ones from metal :scratchchin:

I just thought that a metal ear would be stronger. I just hope what it hits when the door closes can take the shock!

mopar4don

Next the silver/grey was put on

mopar4don

Here the grill has been masked off and is ready for some black

mopar4don

AND NOW It's FINALLY DONE!!!! :yesnod: