News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

from there web site http://autotechmfg.com/?cat=6

Rust - Prep
Fast Acting Formula Kills Rust & Paint Ready in 20 to 30 Minutes!
A new twist to an old product! This fast acting formula kills rust on contact and converts it to a dry, paintable surface in 20-30 minutes, as opposed to the normal 8 - 12 hours required by other products. Also, this unique formula is actually two products-in-one: it kills/converts rust or, if sprayed on a bare rust-free panel, it etches the surface like a metal prep and creates the perfect surface for paint, primer or filler! Rust-Prep works by reacting with rust to form a chemically inert ceramic-like strontium phosphate film that becomes part of the surface. When primed or coated, adhesion to the surface is increased because the zinc strontium phosphate film is cellular and actually creates a locking effect at the paint interface thus going way beyond ordinary adhesion. And the zinc phosphate film results in superior anti-corrosion and welding conductivity.

directions on how to use: go about half way down the page. http://autotechmfg.com/?page_id=77

mopar4don

Then Ralph sprayed it.  Thanks Ralph

mopar4don

A couple of notes: I did use the rust prep on the bottom side, But I did'nt get any pics.
And the roof structure you see in the background worked really well for transporting. Just threw a couple of clamps on and put it in the truck.

mopar4don

So the next thing to do will be to weld on new AMD drip rails.
Has anyone put these on? Is there anything to it?
Maybe positioning to the front A-pillar drip rail?
There is a gap but the trim should cover it right?

mopar4don

So I was originally going to buy a core support stiffener but decided to make my own.
b5cuda did this to his car and it help me a lot. It basically boxes the core support.

I started off by making a template in two pieces

mopar4don

Then I transferred it to 16 gauge (.060)

mopar4don

Here you can see the result of rolling the edge
(just to the left of the left clamp and above the hammer) (I used a big pipe)

mopar4don

next I had to pull the side strap up and tack it

mopar4don

So I did the drivers side the same way then joined them

mopar4don

Here it is all mocked up

mopar4don

If you noticed in the previous pics I notched out for the grill support bracket.
I didn't like the way this looked. So I filled in the box and sliced the
bracket off right where it would intersect the box and welded it along the bottom

mopar4don

Here I am getting the stiffener ready for welding
and in pic2 its tacked in place

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

Thanks Charlie! (I need to get info about your wing)

mopar4don

Here the weld has been ground down and it is ready for epoxy primer

mopar4don

Core support stiffener DONE!  :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

On to the next thing.

STAY TUNED  :yesnod:

Homerr

Don, it's always a pleasure to read your updates and see the process unfold.

Stevearino

Don , this is going to be th most thoroughly restored Charger on the planet. No corners cut here.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

mopar4don

Quote from: Homerr on November 10, 2020, 03:47:32 PM
Don, it's always a pleasure to read your updates and see the process unfold.
Thank you. I am kinda suprised people are still following this thread. It's taking forever!

Quote from: Stevearino on November 11, 2020, 02:56:03 PM
Don , this is going to be th most thoroughly restored Charger on the planet. No corners cut here.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thank you Steve, that really means a lot coming from you. I really enjoy your videos of your Daytona and GTX restorations.
I have learned a lot!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

The next thing to do is to get the AMD drip rails on

mopar4don

Then weld them on

mopar4don

Here the welds are ground down and epoxy primed

mopar4don

I had to trim this rolled over edge on the quarter panel
so it would tuck underneath the drip rail
the line on the tape marks the end of the drip rail
and where it should be trimmed

mopar4don

So here you can see the lip just before I zipped it off.
That lip needed to be trimmed of so the quarter will fit
under the drip rail