News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdsandbees

Nice work Don and glad to see the Grandson helping you along!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Stevearino

Tell the truth Don. You wanted to separate the two halves of that hood all along to get to the last of the nasty you knew was up in there. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding but I know with the way you have handled everything else that I bet there is some truth to it. Nice (thorough) job as always.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Stevearino on April 15, 2022, 04:04:28 PM
Tell the truth Don. You wanted to separate the two halves of that hood all along to get to the last of the nasty you knew was up in there. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding but I know with the way you have handled everything else that I bet there is some truth to it. Nice (thorough) job as always.

I was thinking the same thing, didn't he separate the Trunk lid into 2 pieces? LEON.

mopar4don

Man I can't get anything past you guys!
And yes  :yesnod: it did bother me that every time I moved the thing I could hear particles moving around inside it.

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 15, 2022, 11:20:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing, didn't he separate the Trunk lid into 2 pieces? LEON.

Again, I just can't get away with anything.
Leon, you remember correctly. I originally separated the trunk lids, I had 3 of them to try and get 1 good one.

I ended up buying another one, which if you look back though the pages is the grey one. It is in really good condition. I HOPE

gers1968rt

Nice work as usual Don!  Glad to see you are still at it.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

mopar4don

I now have the Charger on a rotisserie!
LOTS of welding and grinding ahead

JB400

Good to see you're still moving forward 10 years in

hemi-hampton

At least you got all new clean metal. I've had cars turned sideways on Rotisserie's that were nothing but thousands of rust pits & craters that needed to be filled. time consuming pain in the Ass. LEON.

keepat

Don, all your hard work looks great on the rotisserie!
Good luck with the build!
Pat

Stevearino

Looking fantastic Don. That car has really risen from the ashes to be quite the piece.

mopar4don

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but for some reason I don't get notified anymore

Quote from: JB400 on July 15, 2022, 06:37:45 PM
Good to see you're still moving forward 10 years in
JB,Thanks for reminding me  :brickwall:

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 15, 2022, 06:53:05 PM
At least you got all new clean metal. I've had cars turned sideways on Rotisserie's that were nothing but thousands of rust pits & craters that needed to be filled. time consuming pain in the Ass. LEON.
I know ALL ABOUT TIME CONSUMING!

Quote from: keepat on July 15, 2022, 07:11:59 PM
Don, all your hard work looks great on the rotisserie!
Good luck with the build!
Pat
Thanks Pat, that means a lot

Quote from: Stevearino on July 15, 2022, 07:56:53 PM
Looking fantastic Don. That car has really risen from the ashes to be quite the piece.
Thanks Steve, I still have a ways to go.
And let me say I REALLY enjoy your videos!!!!  :bow: :bow:

tan top

Quote from: mopar4don on July 15, 2022, 03:17:12 PM

looking good M4D  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi-hampton

I see you put Sub Frame Connectors on it, Smart move to keep it sturdy as the Bodies Flex alot. Are they going to be Permanent or Temporary? LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: tan top on August 31, 2022, 07:00:17 AM

looking good M4D  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Thanks

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 31, 2022, 09:15:29 PM
I see you put Sub Frame Connectors on it, Smart move to keep it sturdy as the Bodies Flex alot. Are they going to be Permanent or Temporary? LEON.
Ahhhhhhhhhh      permanant.

How would one install them temporary??????

mopar4don

I now have the bottom of the car cleaned up and in epoxy primer. :yesnod:

mopar4don

The next things to do are to install the gas tank brackets and torq boxes

and install a tube through drivers side sub frame connector for the e-brake cable

hemi-hampton

Quote from: mopar4don on September 02, 2022, 10:30:57 AM
Quote from: tan top on August 31, 2022, 07:00:17 AM

looking good M4D  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Thanks

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 31, 2022, 09:15:29 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh      permanant.

How would one install them temporary??????

I said Temporary because I only seen 3 small tack welds holding it. If Permanant your going to want a full solid bead all around it. I'm sure you know this just didn't get that far yet in Pic. Pic of yours below. Pic of last Frame Connectors I did. LEON.

mopar4don

Thanks for clarifying that Leon, I was a bit confused on how they could be temporary. :scratchchin:
In that that pic you are right, they were tacked in when the car was on the frame jig. Knowing that it was going on the rotisserie were they were fully welded in.

hemi-hampton

I was kinda confused also, I thought some people don't like sub frame connectors & want to keep it more original, I thought maybe you put them on to hold more sturdy while on rotisserie but would maybe remove once off rotisserie. While your at that stage your at I always like to reinforce the the rear ends snubber bar plate on floor if your going to have lots of horsepower. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 08, 2022, 07:13:37 PM
I was kinda confused also, I thought some people don't like sub frame connectors & want to keep it more original, I thought maybe you put them on to hold more sturdy while on rotisserie but would maybe remove once off rotisserie. While your at that stage your at I always like to reinforce the the rear ends snubber bar plate on floor if your going to have lots of horsepower. LEON.

Ok how do you reinforce the snubber plate?

mopar4don

I have the drivers side torq boxes in
Not the best looking welds but I will clean them up a bit......

hemi-hampton

Quote from: mopar4don on September 12, 2022, 03:02:27 PM

Don, Do you have the old floor still? In your pic below I circled where the rear end snubber should contact floor under extreme acceleration, Traction Bars will help with axle wind to prevent this but if you have no Traction Bars this area could take a severe beating, Making it look like it was smacked with a slug hammer several times or even tearing/ripping the metal. Snubber extender could help with no traction bars. What I do is weld a 1/4" steel plate to this area to reinforce it. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 14, 2022, 11:10:04 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on September 12, 2022, 03:02:27 PM

Don, Do you have the old floor still? In your pic below I circled where the rear end snubber should contact floor under extreme acceleration, Traction Bars will help with axle wind to prevent this but if you have no Traction Bars this area could take a severe beating, Making it look like it was smacked with a slug hammer several times or even tearing/ripping the metal. Snubber extender could help with no traction bars. What I do is weld a 1/4" steel plate to this area to reinforce it. LEON.

Leon, you mention my old floor? If I still have it can I use it and weld it on top of my current one?
Do you have pictures of the reinforcement?
I found this pic from a fellow DC member. Would it be something like this?
Thanks, Don

hemi-hampton

That B5 Blue 70 Cuda I pictured above had a heavy duty plate welded to that Snubber Spot. But, I don't think I have a Picture of it or any of the other ones I did. If you can find your old floor, I'd like to see it & that spot. LEON.