News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

It's time for another update.

The last thing on the list (I HOPE) before I can start welding everything is the doors.
Now with 3 sets of doors to choose from, you would think I could get one decent set? AH NO!
I won't bore you with a bunch of pics, but I ended up de-skining each door, looking for something to use. I ended up buying AMD door skins and picking the best inner doors I could. Unfortunately they needed patching.
SO HERE WE GO AGAIN
Both inner's need new metal along the bottom, so I bent some strips up and went to work.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Bronzedodge

Bravo man!  I admire your dedication.   :cheers: :cheers:

:popcrn:
Mopar forever!

mopar4don

more pics of fixing inner door metal

pic3 Measured and transfered the holes for the door seal

mopar4don

OK, I epoxy primed the inner doors and reinstalled the door reinforcement plates and internal brackets

birdsandbees

As I said over there... you're doing some GREAT metal work Don! Keep making progress..  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

mopar4don

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 27, 2018, 01:13:07 PM
As I said over there... you're doing some GREAT metal work Don! Keep making progress..  :2thumbs:
Thank you sir! I work on it a couple of hours at a time!

birdsandbees

Quote from: mopar4don on March 27, 2018, 01:27:18 PM

Better than what I've spent the last 4 days on.. Corporate tax returns..  :brickwall:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

mopar4don

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 27, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on March 27, 2018, 01:27:18 PM

Better than what I've spent the last 4 days on.. Corporate tax returns..  :brickwall:

YOU GOT ME THERE!  :eek2:

mopar4don

Look what the big brown truck brought me! My AMD door skins! And they look good!

mopar4don

I had to remove these brackets from the top window edge of the old door skins
*Note how they were located with the notch

orange383

Real good work going on here! I'm always checking for updates on this thread!

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on April 01, 2018, 04:10:41 PM
Real good work going on here! I'm always checking for updates on this thread!
Thank you sir. I just wish I could go faster!

Quote from: CDN72SE on April 01, 2018, 05:30:49 PM
Always enjoy your work, keep it up.
Thanks

mopar4don

So once I got them were I liked them I welded them in.
(I had to assemble the glass and vent wing to make sure they were in position)

mopar4don

Then I punched some holes in around the perimeter of the door skin (for plug welding)
pic1

Next I installed the sound deadening pads
pic2-3

mopar4don

And then I installed the skin, bending over the lip.
I used a hammer and dolly, and a hockey puck for a dolly. I was very careful bending a little at a time. Checking my progress along the bottom with a straight edge. (level)

mopar4don

I will hold off on welding the door skin until I get all of the panels on and fitted. This will give me a little bit of adjustment with the skin.
It all turned out very well!   :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Amazing to see how far you have come Don. This is really starting to take shape. Note of caution. Don't lean too hard on those doors. My AMD skins were very weak compared to the spring steel that the old stuff was made out of. I understand that softer metal is used to preserve the life of the dies and they look great. I am also grateful they make the dang things. Just saying when I was buffing out my roof my thigh made an impression on the door that I had to work out very carefully after the finish paint. Awesome job as always.  :cheers: :cheers:

cdr

As always, AWESOME work Don !!!!!   :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

keepat

mopar4don

Quote from: Stevearino on May 02, 2018, 03:57:59 PM
Amazing to see how far you have come Don. This is really starting to take shape. Note of caution. Don't lean too hard on those doors. My AMD skins were very weak compared to the spring steel that the old stuff was made out of. I understand that softer metal is used to preserve the life of the dies and they look great. I am also grateful they make the dang things. Just saying when I was buffing out my roof my thigh made an impression on the door that I had to work out very carefully after the finish paint. Awesome job as always.  :cheers: :cheers:
WOW, I had no idea the steel was different. But what you say about the softer metal preserving the dies does make sense.
I will keep this in mind when working around the body panels. Thank you so much!!

Quote from: cdr on May 02, 2018, 04:19:57 PM
As always, AWESOME work Don !!!!!   :2thumbs:
Much appreciated

Quote from: keepat on May 02, 2018, 06:34:05 PM
Great job Don! Looks awesome!
Pat
Thank you Pat

hemi-hampton

Wow, That's a lot of work on one car. Luckily you can do it yourself instead of having to pay some one. Curious if you know how many hours you have into it or if your even keeping track. Nice work. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 04, 2018, 10:26:34 PM
Wow, That's a lot of work on one car. Luckily you can do it yourself instead of having to pay some one. Curious if you know how many hours you have into it or if your even keeping track. Nice work. LEON.
Thanks Leon,
When I started this project I knew what I was getting into..... well maybe I thought I knew what I was getting into :o
It has been a real eye opener for me, especially when I think about how much time it takes to get something done! Like redoing the fenders, I think that took me all winter! 4+ months  :icon_smile_blackeye:  so to answer your question, I have not kept track of hours, but it seems like a LOT!
Don

mopar4don

Update-
I layed out my steering column parts to reassemble.

note: I used this article to help me in reassembly
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/...-restoration-turn-signal-switch-installation/