News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird wrecked

Started by odcics2, September 02, 2013, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Nose cone schmoze cone, who needs it?  Rip off the 'Bird pieces, and you got yourself a nice Roadrunner-problem solved...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

GOTWING

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 6PakBee on September 05, 2013, 06:33:59 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 05, 2013, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: 6PakBee on September 05, 2013, 08:27:26 AM

I agree.  How much fun is driving a wing car in public when you are in constant fear of it being in an accident?  Or stolen?  Or vandalized?  :shruggy:

It is a ridiculous amount of fun to have these cars out, especially on the open road.   The only things that really concern me out there are real heavy traffic at speed, and weather.   But mostly weather.

Clone or not,  you cannot foresee every circumstance.  Cars burn down in locked garages too.   You can only do your best to try and protect yourself by driving defensively.    Hopefully the owner of the Bird has the right insurance.

If you live in fear, perhaps the 1/18 ERTL version is the right car to own. 

Yuk, yuk, yuk, boy was that a funny one there  :rofl: :rofl:  Getting serious again, apparently you have no problem driving your original wing car like a daily driver.  If it gets wrecked, so what.  If it costs $40,000-$60,000 to get it repaired, so what.  You my friend, apparently have more money than I will ever have.  And don't mention the 'I' word, insurance.  They don't give policies with that kind of coverage away for nothing.

No one said they don't care if they get wrecked....that would be a dumber statement than what a Kardashian can come up with. I guess I should stop taking showers in case I slip and crush my skull....or stop going to the beach in case a shark attacks.......I got to go and order a truck load of bubble wrap. As far as money......Insurance on these cars is a fraction of what I pay for my daily transportation. If you cant afford the insurance - sell the car to someone that can and who will actually drive it. I drive everything I own. I don't jump in them and start wondering if I will get poked. I jump in them and drive with an ear to ear grin.

62 Max

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 06, 2013, 07:35:25 AM

I agree.  How much fun is driving a wing car in public when you are in constant fear of it being in an accident?  Or stolen?  Or vandalized?  :shruggy:

It is a ridiculous amount of fun to have these cars out, especially on the open road.   The only things that really concern me out there are real heavy traffic at speed, and weather.   But mostly weather.

Clone or not,  you cannot foresee every circumstance.  Cars burn down in locked garages too.   You can only do your best to try and protect yourself by driving defensively.    Hopefully the owner of the Bird has the right insurance.

Yuk, yuk, yuk, boy was that a funny one there  :rofl: :rofl:  Getting serious again, apparently you have no problem driving your original wing car like a daily driver.  If it gets wrecked, so what.  If it costs $40,000-$60,000 to get it repaired, so what.  You my friend, apparently have more money than I will ever have.  And don't mention the 'I' word, insurance.  They don't give policies with that kind of coverage away for nothing.

No one said they don't care if they get wrecked....that would be a dumber statement than what a Kardashian can come up with. I guess I should stop taking showers in case I slip and crush my skull....or stop going to the beach in case a shark attacks.......I got to go and order a truck load of bubble wrap. As far as money......Insurance on these cars is a fraction of what I pay for my daily transportation. If you cant afford the insurance - sell the car to someone that can and who will actually drive it. I drive everything I own. I don't jump in them and start wondering if I will get poked. I jump in them and drive with an ear to ear grin.

Smart man !!! :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

Well said. I would be embarrassed to pull into a car show with my charger on a trailer.

62 Max

Quote from: Back N Black on September 06, 2013, 08:55:10 AM

Well said. I would be embarrassed to pull into a car show with my charger on a trailer.

You could do what some do here,unload two block away and drive in !! ::)

FJ5WING

those two block cruisers don't fool too many people. a driver will always have tells.
wingless now, but still around.

GOTWING

you can tell who drove to the shows by how many bugs are busted on the front end..  :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

Yuk, yuk, yuk, boy was that a funny one there  :rofl: :rofl:  Getting serious again, apparently you have no problem driving your original wing car like a daily driver.  If it gets wrecked, so what.  If it costs $40,000-$60,000 to get it repaired, so what.  You my friend, apparently have more money than I will ever have.  And don't mention the 'I' word, insurance.  They don't give policies with that kind of coverage away for nothing.

I recently returned from a 240 mile round trip in my mostly original paint Superbird.   In the process, I verified that my GPS would roll over to three digits in the max speed department.    Please do not confuse that with "driving it like a stolen car".    I would never want to see my car get hurt.   Nor am I a rich guy.   In fact, most of the guys who own these cars are not wealthy.  

My agreed value insurance on THREE collector cars costs me less than my daily driver used pickup truck.  

My car is nice, but it is not a painting in a museum.     I always try to be aware when I drive it.  But I never go out wondering "what the heck is going to happen today?"

6PakBee

Quote from: Aero426 on September 06, 2013, 01:25:20 PM

Yuk, yuk, yuk, boy was that a funny one there  :rofl: :rofl:  Getting serious again, apparently you have no problem driving your original wing car like a daily driver.  If it gets wrecked, so what.  If it costs $40,000-$60,000 to get it repaired, so what.  You my friend, apparently have more money than I will ever have.  And don't mention the 'I' word, insurance.  They don't give policies with that kind of coverage away for nothing.

I recently returned from a 240 mile round trip in my mostly original paint Superbird.   In the process, I verified that my GPS would roll over to three digits in the max speed department.    Please do not confuse that with "driving it like a stolen car".    I would never want to see my car get hurt.   Nor am I a rich guy.   In fact, most of the guys who own these cars are not wealthy.  

My agreed value insurance on THREE collector cars costs me less than my daily driver used pickup truck.  

My car is nice, but it is not a painting in a museum.     I always try to be aware when I drive it.  But I never go out wondering "what the heck is going to happen today?"

I'm not going to prolong this misery but to carry $60,000 of agreed value on my Superbird (yes, I have one) is right at $600/year through Hagerty.  Considering I insure my used pickup truck for $165/year, I'd say those are widely different figures.

Look, I'm not suffering from paranoia, nor do I spend my days in bed with the covers pulled over my head.  But I pride myself on being pragmatic.  I still maintain that treating a wingcar with the same regard as a daily driver is foolish.  It's not the value that's the question, it's the ability to recover from damage.  A Ferrari costs more than any wing car but I would have no problem driving it like a rental simply because if something gets crumpled, there's a whole shelf of that part in the Ferrari organization.  Where are you going to get the windshield deflectors, rear window medallions, rear window trim, etc. etc. if they get damaged or stolen?  There's no part shelf at Chrysler any more with these parts. 

You guys treat your cars the way you want and I'll treat mine the way I want and let's leave it at that.

GOTWING

Yeah especially rear window trim... :flame: radiator, latch tray, front nose screen, parking lens,and much much more that is not really seen or noticed...  :scratchchin:   :icon_smile_angry:

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: GOTWING on September 06, 2013, 01:12:24 PM
you can tell who drove to the shows by how many bugs are busted on the front end..  :icon_smile_big:

You know it was a meaty but unfortunate bug when the remains on the wing go on both sides of the upright or horizontal portion!  I've cleaned more than a few of those...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Someday70

As long as it didn't overheat etc. I would continue to drive it

62 Max

Quote from: 6PakBee on September 06, 2013, 01:44:20 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 06, 2013, 01:25:20 PM

I'm not going to prolong this misery but to carry $60,000 of agreed value on my Superbird (yes, I have one) is right at $600/year through Hagerty.  Considering I insure my used pickup truck for $165/year, I'd say those are widely different figures.

Look, I'm not suffering from paranoia, nor do I spend my days in bed with the covers pulled over my head.  But I pride myself on being pragmatic.  I still maintain that treating a wingcar with the same regard as a daily driver is foolish.  It's not the value that's the question, it's the ability to recover from damage.  A Ferrari costs more than any wing car but I would have no problem driving it like a rental simply because if something gets crumpled, there's a whole shelf of that part in the Ferrari organization.  Where are you going to get the windshield deflectors, rear window medallions, rear window trim, etc. etc. if they get damaged or stolen?  There's no part shelf at Chrysler any more with these parts. 

You guys treat your cars the way you want and I'll treat mine the way I want and let's leave it at that.

I've got one that started like this in 1982 when I bought it,I don't have $10k in it including purchase price in and restoration so I guess I'm not out a whole lot should anything go wrong !! :shruggy:

Dino

I typed three replies and deleted them all, not in the mood for a fight.  I will say that I don't understand the fascination with these things and the sky high prices.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI will say that I don't understand the fascination with these things and the sky high prices.

there's not many around and there a big part of automotive racing  history  . that  can not be replaced .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Dino

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 06, 2013, 03:44:13 PM
QuoteI will say that I don't understand the fascination with these things and the sky high prices.

there's not many around and there a big part of automotive racing  history  . that  can not be replaced .

I do understand that part in a way, but I guess I'm not part of the 'save them and put them in a bubble' crowd.  I would drive them. 

The history means very little to me really.  I've been playing with cars for a long time and I never could get into that whole marketing thing. 

As long as you guys enjoy them!   :2thumbs: 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myaerocars

I have had my ' Bird clone now for 22 years.  When my wife's car or my daily car dies, I drive the 'Bird  becomes my daily driver.  I have been driving my ' Bird everyday for the last 2 weeks now. OF course, I do sometimes get a little nervous driving it, but the "fun" factor outweighs the fear.  Driving my daughter to school, going to the grocery story ( for quick few items) and so on. My favorite, however,  is when I take the trash to the dump in it. You should see some of the guys faces .........  and hear their comments. My reply is "hey, it eats gas and insurance so it is gonna work some too!"

Just last Friday night, I got to meet Richard Petty and Dale Inman at a fund raiser.  I opened the trunk and got both of them to sign  the inside of the lid.  How ironic that I had just picked up my daughter from school and hauled trash in it that very day.  :smilielol:

Here he is signing it.

Here it is with the 43 's installed:

Godspeed,
JON

odcics2

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 06, 2013, 03:44:13 PM

I saw the real deals racing, back in the day.  Very impressive, to say the least....  That did it for me.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

held1823

two pages later, this might put the thread back on topic.

saw this new post on moparts, with a few more photos of the damage

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7848051&an=0&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

resq302

Yeh, Im thinking that is going to be easily a $50K hit!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Well, insurance should handle this, right? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"