News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird wrecked

Started by odcics2, September 02, 2013, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Really sucks to see extensive damage like this to a Superbird. It won't be a cheap fix but I'd rather have this one fixed than one with rot holes large enough to crawl through in places the sun never sees. I'd be sick if it were mine but would probably still get it repaired.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparjoema

Hey GotWing... How bad is your old nose cone ? 

bill440rt

Jeez, that is just sickening.  :puke:

Hopefully they are covered. Most classic car insurance companies are good to deal with under these circumstances. It's finding the parts that is tough. And, someone competent enough to perform the repairs.
As for driving/not driving these cars, I do believe they need to be driven every now & then. But, I can absolutely understand the "white knuckle" feeling sometimes driving these cars worrying about other drivers or having your vehicle damaged. No one wants to see their prized possession damaged, no matter what that item might be. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparjoema

Here's the real deal on what happened, I was there when it did.

Bird was in the suiside lane getting ready to take a left into the gas station to turn around, light turned green and they were rolling into the travel lane, car came up the hill never saw the bird and smack...

The Bird is insured, Thank God.. We are resourcing parts from the mopar community who have all been a great help and trust me it looks a lot worse than it actually is..

I'm the shop who's going to be doing the work when we get all the parts lined up for it..
Anyone with anything at all please feel free to contact me direct.  moparjoe440@comcast.net   

moparstuart

Quote from: moparjoema on September 12, 2013, 07:24:37 AM
Hey GotWing... How bad is your old nose cone ?  
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:     
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

GOTWING

moparstuart

nascarxx29

They always can be fixed parts time and $ .Wonder if Carl Swansons Goldie daytona ever got resurected
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,79635.msg895224/topicseen.html#msg895224
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparjoema

Agreed very fixable.... Interested in parting with it ?  
And is it still complete or did you get an empty cone and use your guts in it ?..

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 12, 2013, 10:58:03 AM
They always can be fixed parts time and $ .Wonder if Carl Swansons Goldie daytona ever got resurected
yes its complete  

moparstuart

Quote from: moparjoema on September 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Agreed very fixable.... Interested in parting with it ?  
And is it still complete or did you get an empty cone and use your guts in it ?..
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

moparjoema

Ok I hate to even ask but I gotta know cause I need one as you can see... :brickwall:... 

Care to put a number on it for me......????

moparjoema

Oh Boy why is it i feel a massive headache coming on.. :scratchchin:

moparjoema

Can you either e mail me direct moparjoe440@comcast.net or give me your number and I'll give you a call so we can discuss it further.. That would be great.

Still dealing with the adjuster on a final repair figure and need a nose to be able to complete it...

Thanks.

nascarxx29

1970 Coronet flat hoods can be converted for a superbird or just buy the hood extensions.Same goes for 70 Coronet fenders .The galvanized fender extensions come up on ebay nos here and there.The Z brackets Nose cone fender scoops and headlight buckets latch tray straight channels are available . light frames and grille pieces .Parking lights are 70 fury clear are in nos or aftermarket.Just to name a few unboltatle remove or replace items

It the unseen damage after the sheetmetal comes off to access rad support tweaked and inner fenderwheels door alighment roof crease etc.If any  

moparjoema

Yep I know... Left rail has a 3 hour kink in it, left door has maybe 4 hours repair where the fender bounced off it. Core support is going to pull fine from what it looks like along with both inners once it comes back to the right where its supposed to be.

Radiator, fan and waterpump just because your in there. Right fender is repairable and I'm not banking on a left fender until after I pull it and see what the fender does..  been doing this stuff for 25 years so I got a pretty good handle on what should move once you start pulling it.. Didn't crack the windshield nor did it put a buckle in the roof or either qtr panel.. Doors still open and close and the gaps aren't all that bad.

Like I said it looks a lot worse than it actually is...

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on September 12, 2013, 07:28:52 AM
Jeez, that is just sickening.  :puke:

Hopefully they are covered. Most classic car insurance companies are good to deal with under these circumstances. It's finding the parts that is tough. And, someone competent enough to perform the repairs.
As for driving/not driving these cars, I do believe they need to be driven every now & then. But, I can absolutely understand the "white knuckle" feeling sometimes driving these cars worrying about other drivers or having your vehicle damaged. No one wants to see their prized possession damaged, no matter what that item might be. 

How does this work with classic car insurance anyway?  Do they specify which shop you have to go to, or do you pick your own?  Who sources the parts?  What sort of parts are required (repro, OEM, NOS)?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Aero426

You choose your own shop.
The shop typically sources the parts and works with the adjuster.
The answer on what kind of parts is, "it all depends".   Parts on a classic if not cost effective to repair will be "best available".  May be NOS if cost effective.   May be good used.   May be aftermarket, like AMD.  

Unrealistic priced NOS parts may push the cost of repair towards a total depending on the car and the agreed value.

nascarxx29

Things gotta better better now for classic cars then pre 1980 .You had to get your car appraised by someone.And they went by the blue book value.I got my superbird back for $500.00.Avg loan retail in the blue book was 1500-2000          http://easyautodiagnostics.com/cavalier_sunfire_ignition/cavalier_sunfire_test_1.php

myk

Quote from: Aero426 on September 12, 2013, 07:57:19 PM
You choose your own shop.
The shop typically sources the parts and works with the adjuster.
The answer on what kind of parts is, "it all depends".   Parts on a classic if not cost effective to repair will be "best available".  May be NOS if cost effective.   May be good used.   May be aftermarket, like AMD.  

Unrealistic priced NOS parts may push the cost of repair towards a total depending on the car and the agreed value.

All I care is that these companies take care of us when we need them; I don't know why, but I don't trust these companies, be it Hagerty, Grundy, AAA or whatever.  Maybe it's because I don't hear a lot of feedback when it comes to classic car claims and I've never seen these guys in action.  Bottom line is, I hope the S-Bird's insurance treats their customer right...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

GOTWING

what do you think the value is on my nose, you have seen the picture..  :icon_smile_wink:

moparjoema

Gotwing... I did see the pic posted.. Its the orange one with the damage on the center/left side correct... ?

moparjoema

Lets start the comversation this way...

Number 1.    Are you actually willing to part with it ?  Think I asked that yesterday.

Number 2.    What the Value is on it may very well differ from what it is actually
                  worth in the real world.. Depends as you know on who's got it
                  where its located and how bad someone needs it...

I can only tell you how I have done business for 25+ years with this stuff because i don't like to insult people or make enemys and that does'nt mean I'm gonna low ball you on it..  You have it and I need it.. I do have a number in mind but I'm not selling it you are.  You put a number on it and I'll either say yes or no or counter offer you.. Can't get much fairer than that I don't think..

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 02, 2013, 03:35:58 PM
Trust me I know how he feels .I know first hand how a rear end of a superbird holds up after being rear ended by a truck in the 80-s.My old car 19K mile 6 pack 4 speed RM23VOA179697

Holy cow...such a rarity.....not that we knew bt it still be worth major bucks now in that condition.

71ChallengerSE

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 12, 2013, 10:58:03 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,79635.msg895224/topicseen.html#msg895224

Yes Goldie has been fixed and Carl still drives her all the time. I can't say its better than it was before it was wrecked but it still looks good and the original nose was reused (it was sent out to a master metal man to be pounded back out and the metal guy did a fantastic job, Frank B's work is another story)