News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone know who owns the #71 K&K Dodge Daytona ???

Started by 70moparman, September 04, 2013, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70moparman

I have heard there is one (Real)  #71 K&K Dodge Daytona left in existance, and Tim Wellborn lead the restoration on it back in 1995 with a crate Hemi provided by Chryslers President Bob Lutz himself.  A motor was provided becuase there was only a DUMMY HEMI in it at the time (a mach up for display) ~ I would like to talk to the owner of this car, as I know the guy who has the original 426 Hemi out of that K&K Daytona... He has owned it since the late 70s or early 80s if memory serves him right, and he said it had the nascar intake on it when he bought it back then (and he still has it) ~ If you or someone you know own this Daytona, please contact me at 816-863-7898 or email me at 70moparman@kc.rr.com, or send me a message.  If you can prove you own the car to me, I will give you the guys contact info...  He is a good friend of mine, and wont be making his contact info public for anyone else.  Any help would be apprecitated, Im sure the bird and the hemi would like to be reunited...  :yesnod:   Thanks fellow wing fans...

Aero426

Tim Wellborn owns the car.   Call the Wellborn Musclecar Museum (256) 329-8474 and they will get you in touch with Tim.  

If Tim doesn't buy it, please contact me as there are other real cars in need of an original style engine. 

odcics2

Tim owns it. Contact him.  

I'd be interested in the knowing the numbers that are stamped on it...  

Get some pics from your buddy and post them on here, please!!   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Well, looks like there are two people excited over this!!   :cheers:

Hmmm, come to think of it, Harry Hyde donated it with the "dummy" engine in it, so THAT was the engine in that car....

Still, it would be interesting to find out exactly what this guy has!       :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Of course, there were many different engines used in the K & K cars in these years.   10 to 15 engines floating around the shop during the high water mark in 1970 would not surprise me.

Yes, the numbers on the block would be of a high level of interest!

70moparman

Thanks for the quick replys guys ~ Im getting exctied about it too, I called my buddy and talked to him (he is not a computer guy, he grew up without them of course) and he will be getting numbers off it for me to post.  If I have to I will take pictures myself and get them posted, when I can.  (2 kids and work keep me plenty busy already).  He bought this motor off a guy who moved to the area from North Carolina, hints how the motor ended up in the midwest.  My buddy has a lot of old mopars, has been collecting dodge and plymouths and parts since the 70s, and this motor came up in conversation after talking about how at one time, he owned the original Snake body off the 1970 Plymouth Cuda sponsered by Hotwheels (Don Prudhommes car, the first one, without the rear spoiler), which only came up after I showed him an original Snake and Mongoose coloring book from 1970 with the two cars on the cover...

Anyway, after talking to me about that funny car body, he tells me about how the motor in is 62 Plymouth Wagon was the K&K Daytona Hemi.  He fills me in on the details, like he said the motor was .020 over when he got it, he punched it out to .030 over and put the motor back together (this was many, many years ago) and it has been sitting in his car ever since.  I dont think the car ever saw the street, but it sure is a neat looking car.  It is in storage with his other cars, and other Hemis.  I have seen the motor with my own two eyes, just didnt know it was the K&K Daytona motor at the time I saw it. (Again, it just came up in conversation today)

This motor has a crazy story of how he got it, and what he pulled it out of.  He bought this back in the late 70s or early 80s from a guy that had it in a military Deuce truck (I am not making this up) and it was bolted to a 400 Turbo with a clutch setup in front of the converter.  My buddy pulled the motor and tranny (he still has both) and sold the Deuce and a Quarter truck to his brother in law.  The guy that originally bought  the 426 Hemi for that military truck (again, back in the late 70s) said that he bought it from a guy that had a bunch of Hemis (like fourty or so) all over a garage/shop floor.  He had other racing motors, including Petty motors!  This guy was the North Carolina guy, and that guy told the first buyer of the motor (the guy who bought it for his military truck project) that it was a good running motor, out of the K&K Daytona, and it would pull his truck around no problem!   :yesnod: 

This motor has had quite an interesting life, and it just ended up in the hands of a midwest boy back in the late 70s or early 80s, and has stayed with him ever since.  My buddy owns 9 different 426 Hemis ~ he bought every one he could ever put his hands on that came by his neck of the woods.  This motor in particular I wanted to share the story about, becuase of its Nascar history, and the fact that it could even be the motor that broke 200mph and made Chrysler history!

I know this a crazy story, but my buddy knows his mopars, and he is a real good (and honest) sort of man.  I believe everything he is telling me 100% ~ He is going off what the previous owner told the previous owner, but thats what he was told, and it sounds like this could be a real Nascar 426 Hemi used in one of the K&K cars.  I wil get pictures and numbers for all as soon as I can... That might be several days (sorry) but as soon as I have it, I will post it!  Will update when I have more info...

70moparman

And thank you guys for the contact info!  I figured someone in the wing community would know where this car was!  I will post numbers for the experts to confirm before I make any phone calls... My buddy is letting me handle this, Im just glad to be a part of it...  :2thumbs:

tan top

:2thumbs: thanks for sharing this story   :cheers: :cheers:,  intresting  stuff , look forward to  any updates pictures etc

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Yeah - need visual info and plenty of numbers...

Pick a hemi - any hemi -there are plenty around!!    :smilielol:

ACUDANUT

Great story. BTW "Im sure the bird and the hemi would like to be reunited".....BTW, it's not a bird. :2thumbs:

70moparman

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 04, 2013, 07:16:26 PM
Great story. BTW "Im sure the bird and the hemi would like to be reunited".....BTW, it's not a bird. :2thumbs:
Your right!  I ment Daytona... Im a huge fan of both, cant believe I did that... :eyes: 

nascarxx29

A interior shot of the Bobby Isaac 71 daytona.Nov 24 1970 is on my Talladega Museum document for the Bobby Isaac restoration fund raiser they had.Story was no motor internals and trans was a shell.And you donate parts or cash and received a certificate .And all names were to go on a plaque were car was displayed

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

If that's what the interior looked like back when asking for donations, Houston, we have a problem...
(Interior - today)

wingman(22)

I have some photos from 2009 and they look like the one Greg posted. When was the other pic taken? Is it the same car?

wingman(22)

Also it looks like there is a bar going to right front on passenger side. The car at Tim's does not have the bar. Must be a different car.

A383Wing

could it be the Cotten Owens #6 car? I thought I saw a link here it was for sale

Bryan

nascarxx29

Aero426

This car is the Owens #6.    It says "Darlington Raceway" on the assets tag affixed to the dash.    Also, the "426" hood call outs are day glow.

wingman(22)

Great attention to details Doug. I thought the color was a little odd.

nascarxx29

I guess both nascar daytona were at carlisle .I switched up the interior picts my bad

Aero426

I think Baker did an appearance with the #6 car at Carlisle. 

RTDaddy

Quote from: Aero426 on September 12, 2013, 11:25:27 AM
I think Baker did an appearance with the #6 car at Carlisle. 

He did, '04.  Got him to scribble on the wing of the clone.   ;D

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

70moparman

Finally got up there and took pictures tonight!  Here is the motor as it sits in the 62 Plymouth Wagon...  The boss pad we took pictures of, but then we scrapped the paint off with a pocket knife, and found more stampings on it, like 4 small "B"s, and a large W T is stamed on there (hard to see, but its there in large letters)  ~ Also took pics of intake and valve covers that were on the motor when he got it, along with the original oil pickup, harmonic balancer, and the casting numbers from the drivers side of the block...  Would appreciate any info you guys have on the subject!  Thanks!

70moparman

Last picture is another original Nascar 426 Hemi intake he has...

70moparman

Ok, might need someones help getting these pictures posted... Had trouble uploading through the site, and the photobucket pics are just showing up as clickable links...  Anyone with more computer know how than me please post these pictures for all to see...   :slap:

JB400

JB400

held1823

copy and paste the  IMG codes, not the ones for html
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Oil pickup is a swinging arm for a wet sump pan, used on a road course.

odcics2

Here's the photo of the valve covers.

They are a match to the oil pickup for a wet sump system. 
Oil filler on the one cover is the pre-1970 style.

Aero426

70moparman

My buddy said the weld was probably due to an intake backfire, blowing a hole in the intake, due to high compression... 

Brutalowner

Quote from: 70moparman on September 14, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
My buddy said the weld was probably due to an intake backfire, blowing a hole in the intake, due to high compression... 

I think they have a history of exploding the lid, due to the giant open plenum and big overlap cam. Something about having to get the engine spinning over BEFORE you turn on the ignition. I guess between the fuel puddling, the cam overlap holding the valves open and lots of timing lead, a plug fires with an intake valve open, and BOOM!
  Great pictures! Historic items for sure. Keep 'em coming! :popcrn:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

Aero426

I am always a little concerned of this.     I always crank the car with the throttle blades already open some.    It takes a few tries of cranking to get fuel in the bowls.   I'll pump it just enough to get it to cough once.   Then I stop and give it a 2-3 more pumps.   Then it starts real easy.    Without a choke, I never try to start it if it is below 50 degrees.  

This pic was taken earlier today at an old defunct road course near Chicago. 

odcics2

Hope you didn't make a hard right turn Doug!!    :cheers:

So, what does everyone think about the parts-engine pics??    :shruggy:
Appears to be a street block with some mid 60s race hemi parts tossed in the deal. 
I just can't see a any K&K Daytona using a 66 cast block, welded up intake, etc. etc.... in 1970 or later...
The K&K that Tim has is a dry sump car with the specific cross member for that system and the tank located
behind the driver side front wheel, also in a purpose built area of the chassis.

Here is what typical Hyde Hemis look like...

70moparman

Weren't most Hemi blocks cast in 66, and they used them every year from that stockpile?  What about all those stampings on the bosspad, the four small Bs, and the WT stamped on boss pad, so far no one knows anything about that?

ACUDANUT

I don't know about that theory.  How could it be a numbers matching block if the engine is 3 years older?  :scratchchin:

70moparman

Race daytonas probably didn't have a "numbers matching vin" like street production Daytonas, especially since several motors were used in multiple cars, like another member said...  I would be interested if anyone knows what those stampings on the boss pad mean... Is there anyone left that can still shed some light on the stampings???  :shruggy:

talkiemopar

Aero426

Quote from: 70moparman on September 15, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Race daytonas probably didn't have a "numbers matching vin" like street production Daytonas, especially since several motors were used in multiple cars, like another member said...  I would be interested if anyone knows what those stampings on the boss pad mean... Is there anyone left that can still shed some light on the stampings???  :shruggy:

Correct, they don't have any VIN that correlates to a street car.   They started as unserialized bare bodies, some earlier than 1969.    The closest thing to "numbers matching" would be to have one of the original blocks that ran in your car in period.    That is not an easy nut to crack. 

70moparman

And the mystery continues...  I should of took pictures of his 2 blue Hemi blocks he had on a pallet on the floor, with a bunch of other hemi motors... When I asked him why those 2 hemi blocks were blue, he said thats what color Sox and Martin painted them... So apparently he has two Sox and Martin 426 Hemi motors as well, or at least the short blocks to them...  Pretty Cool

odcics2

I've seen race hemis for stock cars cast in 68.
I'd also think that in 70, the higher nickel content blocks would have been used.

Is that "WT" (and other marks) a production line thing?  Known race blocks I have seen had none of that on the pad.

pettybird

Quote from: odcics2 on September 16, 2013, 04:18:01 AM
I've seen race hemis for stock cars cast in 68.
I'd also think that in 70, the higher nickel content blocks would have been used.

Is that "WT" (and other marks) a production line thing?  Known race blocks I have seen had none of that on the pad.

Hemi blocks started getting made again (or, at the least, the cast-in date changed) in 1/68. 

WT is for 'water test,' to prove the thing doesn't leak.  It's on a lot of street motors. 

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70moparman

Thanks for the information... At least we know what WT means... Thanks to the other members that said that as well.... And thank you Troy for fixing my pictures!  Ive was going to try again but havent had the time...  Thanks for everyones help...  Still curious what those 4 small B stamps are for...

pettybird

odcics2