News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone know who owns the #71 K&K Dodge Daytona ???

Started by 70moparman, September 04, 2013, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70moparman

Last picture is another original Nascar 426 Hemi intake he has...

70moparman

Ok, might need someones help getting these pictures posted... Had trouble uploading through the site, and the photobucket pics are just showing up as clickable links...  Anyone with more computer know how than me please post these pictures for all to see...   :slap:

JB400

JB400

held1823

copy and paste the  IMG codes, not the ones for html
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Oil pickup is a swinging arm for a wet sump pan, used on a road course.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Here's the photo of the valve covers.

They are a match to the oil pickup for a wet sump system. 
Oil filler on the one cover is the pre-1970 style.

Aero426

70moparman

My buddy said the weld was probably due to an intake backfire, blowing a hole in the intake, due to high compression... 

Brutalowner

Quote from: 70moparman on September 14, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
My buddy said the weld was probably due to an intake backfire, blowing a hole in the intake, due to high compression... 

I think they have a history of exploding the lid, due to the giant open plenum and big overlap cam. Something about having to get the engine spinning over BEFORE you turn on the ignition. I guess between the fuel puddling, the cam overlap holding the valves open and lots of timing lead, a plug fires with an intake valve open, and BOOM!
  Great pictures! Historic items for sure. Keep 'em coming! :popcrn:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

Aero426

I am always a little concerned of this.     I always crank the car with the throttle blades already open some.    It takes a few tries of cranking to get fuel in the bowls.   I'll pump it just enough to get it to cough once.   Then I stop and give it a 2-3 more pumps.   Then it starts real easy.    Without a choke, I never try to start it if it is below 50 degrees.  

This pic was taken earlier today at an old defunct road course near Chicago. 

odcics2

Hope you didn't make a hard right turn Doug!!    :cheers:

So, what does everyone think about the parts-engine pics??    :shruggy:
Appears to be a street block with some mid 60s race hemi parts tossed in the deal. 
I just can't see a any K&K Daytona using a 66 cast block, welded up intake, etc. etc.... in 1970 or later...
The K&K that Tim has is a dry sump car with the specific cross member for that system and the tank located
behind the driver side front wheel, also in a purpose built area of the chassis.

Here is what typical Hyde Hemis look like...

70moparman

Weren't most Hemi blocks cast in 66, and they used them every year from that stockpile?  What about all those stampings on the bosspad, the four small Bs, and the WT stamped on boss pad, so far no one knows anything about that?

ACUDANUT

I don't know about that theory.  How could it be a numbers matching block if the engine is 3 years older?  :scratchchin:

70moparman

Race daytonas probably didn't have a "numbers matching vin" like street production Daytonas, especially since several motors were used in multiple cars, like another member said...  I would be interested if anyone knows what those stampings on the boss pad mean... Is there anyone left that can still shed some light on the stampings???  :shruggy:

talkiemopar

Aero426

Quote from: 70moparman on September 15, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Race daytonas probably didn't have a "numbers matching vin" like street production Daytonas, especially since several motors were used in multiple cars, like another member said...  I would be interested if anyone knows what those stampings on the boss pad mean... Is there anyone left that can still shed some light on the stampings???  :shruggy:

Correct, they don't have any VIN that correlates to a street car.   They started as unserialized bare bodies, some earlier than 1969.    The closest thing to "numbers matching" would be to have one of the original blocks that ran in your car in period.    That is not an easy nut to crack. 

70moparman

And the mystery continues...  I should of took pictures of his 2 blue Hemi blocks he had on a pallet on the floor, with a bunch of other hemi motors... When I asked him why those 2 hemi blocks were blue, he said thats what color Sox and Martin painted them... So apparently he has two Sox and Martin 426 Hemi motors as well, or at least the short blocks to them...  Pretty Cool

odcics2

I've seen race hemis for stock cars cast in 68.
I'd also think that in 70, the higher nickel content blocks would have been used.

Is that "WT" (and other marks) a production line thing?  Known race blocks I have seen had none of that on the pad.

pettybird

Quote from: odcics2 on September 16, 2013, 04:18:01 AM
I've seen race hemis for stock cars cast in 68.
I'd also think that in 70, the higher nickel content blocks would have been used.

Is that "WT" (and other marks) a production line thing?  Known race blocks I have seen had none of that on the pad.

Hemi blocks started getting made again (or, at the least, the cast-in date changed) in 1/68. 

WT is for 'water test,' to prove the thing doesn't leak.  It's on a lot of street motors. 

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70moparman

Thanks for the information... At least we know what WT means... Thanks to the other members that said that as well.... And thank you Troy for fixing my pictures!  Ive was going to try again but havent had the time...  Thanks for everyones help...  Still curious what those 4 small B stamps are for...

pettybird