News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee Wannabe

Started by TruckDriver, September 07, 2013, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Got this off a Facebook group. It is somewhere near Libby Montana
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

lukedukem

I'd cruse the sh@ยก outta that.  :lol: :lol:

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

rt green

wow. that could be turned into a nice car.
third string oil changer

MaximRecoil

In addition to being on the wrong year and model of car, those numbers on the door have a severe case of anorexia ...

... which is a surprisingly common disorder among homemade General Lee door numbers. It also has another disorder common among homemade General Lee door numbers: scoliosis, which is why the zero's corner angles are bent down to 45 degrees instead of 35 degrees.

JB400

::)

A nice attempt from someone just using what he had. It'd be fun to enjoy.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 07, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

What's nice about the attempt? That he got everything but the basic colors wrong?

I think it would be more fun to drive around in a car that is simply a weathered '68 Coronet than something that is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 07, 2013, 10:49:51 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 07, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

What's nice about the attempt? That he got everything but the basic colors wrong?

I think it would be more fun to drive around in a car that is simply a weathered '68 Coronet than something that is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.
Is that a fact or opinion?

A383Wing

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 07, 2013, 11:21:23 PM

My post contains both. Since you are asking me this question, it is reasonable to assume that you don't know the definitions of the following words:

- Fact
- Opinion

I suggest the following site:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 07, 2013, 11:47:08 PM

My post contains both. Since you are asking me this question, it is reasonable to assume that you don't know the definitions of the following words:

- Fact
- Opinion

In that case, I'll have to dismiss your post and consider it irrelevant by your "Facts only" rules.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 07, 2013, 11:52:38 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 07, 2013, 11:47:08 PM

- Fact
- Opinion

In that case, I'll have to dismiss your post and consider it irrelevant by your "Facts only" rules.

The student teaching the master.   :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

MaximRecoil

I have no such rules, nor do I have any "rules" at all. Given that you fabricated this claim out of whole cloth, and the rest of your post is premised upon it, consider it dismissed out of hand.

Quote from: Fred on September 07, 2013, 11:59:42 PM
The student teaching the master.   :2thumbs:

In reality on the other hand, it is a textbook case of "monkey see, monkey do"; i.e., he sees that I dismiss things from time to time, but he doesn't understand why, thus mimicry without understanding. He is also thoroughly confused about other things, which has led him to the false conclusion that I have some sort of universal "Facts only" rule.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 08, 2013, 12:00:16 AM

I have no such rules, nor do I have any "rules" at all. Given that you fabricated this claim out of whole cloth, and the rest of your post is premised upon it, consider it dismissed out of hand.
[/quote]

Feel free to do so.  Chris deleted that post in which you proclaimed this rule.  There's plenty of witnesses to verify my claim.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 12:05:58 AM

Feel free to do so.  Chris deleted that post in which you proclaimed this rule.  There's plenty of witnesses to verify my claim.

That's a bald-faced lie. I have never proclaimed any such rule, nor do I have any rules at all. There are rules of logic which pertain to argument/debate (I'm a few thousand years too young for those rules to be mine), and logical fallacies (such as irrelevance [e.g., non sequiturs, red herrings], mere assertions, etc.) can be dismissed out of hand.

Opinions are entirely relevant in an argument over opinions, obviously.

JB400

Back on track to answer the original question given to me, At least it does resemble a GL.  The make is correct, as well as a time period for that particular body style. I say it's probably just a simple case of mistaken identity.  I'll give them that credit as well as the fact that they used what they had.  Not everyone can get a Charger that wants one.  This car was probably built more from a recollection than from actual documentation.

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 08, 2013, 12:13:36 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 12:05:58 AM

That's a bald-faced lie. I have never proclaimed any such rule, nor do I have any rules at all. There are rules of logic which pertain to argument/debate (I'm a few thousand years too young for those rules to be mine), and logical fallacies (such as irrelevance [e.g., non sequiturs, red herrings], mere assertions, etc.) can be dismissed out of hand.

Opinions are entirely relevant in an argument over opinions, obviously.
Unfortunately, this has created yet another hijack.  For my involvement, I do offer my sincerest apologies to everyone that reads this.  My  original post was meant to only be a joke, but I guess some members don't have a sense of humor.  But, I will quote this post to let others be the judge for those that have followed along in this drama and have ever had anything "dismissed"

I again say " I'm sorry for hijacking this thread" :cheers:
                                                                        JB

Lord Warlock

He should have named it the General Grant, seeng as he's about as far away from the south as possible. 

If you can't find a charger, any b body will do.  At least he got the manufacturer right.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 08, 2013, 02:08:24 AM
He should have named it the General Grant, seeng as he's about as far away from the south as possible. 

If you can't find a charger, any b body will do.  At least he got the manufacturer right.
:smilielol: :smilielol:That would work for me. Could start a whole new following!

BrianShaughnessy

I saw this last Thursday night (9/5/13),  over in Rhinebeck NY.     Apparently bad ideas have no boundaries.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

Most GL replicas that predate the internet were done by referencing old toys & model kits & merchandise photos from 1981.  Lots of black interiors, small pushbars, thin door numbers, GL lettering centered with the flag, some blue door numbers, etc.  

A whole website could be devoted to GL paintjobs on things other than '69 chargers.  Everything from school busses to motorcycles to VW beetles have been done.  

Cooter

WTF is the problem? The dudes that built these cars were having fun. Isn't that what the hobby is all about?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

QuoteWTF is the problem? The dudes that built these cars were having fun. Isn't that what the hobby is all about?

They also failed to use air from either Georgia or California to fill the tires.  Clearly these are inaccurate GL replicas. 

Cooter

This thread is dismissed out of hand..... :smilielol:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on September 08, 2013, 08:26:46 AM
WTF is the problem? The dudes that built these cars were having fun. Isn't that what the hobby is all about?

Agreed.  I'm sure if they wanted to build accurate replicas they would have done it with Chargers.

ws23rt

The General lee is a caricature of a car in a made up story.  A debate about correctness is just too funny.
We could have a debate about why porky pig doesn't wear pants. :shruggy:

And I think we should.  There was controversy about that :icon_smile_wink: 

Mike DC

Quotehe General lee is a caricature of a car in a made up story.  A debate about correctness is just too funny.
We could have a debate about why porky pig doesn't wear pants

Millions of people would apply that same argument to all muscle cars.