News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee Wannabe

Started by TruckDriver, September 07, 2013, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Ghoste on September 08, 2013, 11:14:14 AM

Agreed.  I'm sure if they wanted to build accurate replicas they would have done it with Chargers.

Wanting to do something and being able to do said something doesn't necessarily coincide. Few people have ever built an extremely accurate replica (there is obviously far more to it than just starting with a Charger); Bill Packett for one, and whoever rebodied "General Lee #1" for another, come to mind.

Quote from: ws23rt on September 08, 2013, 11:35:30 AM
The General lee is a caricature of a car in a made up story.  A debate about correctness is just too funny.
We could have a debate about why porky pig doesn't wear pants. :shruggy:

And I think we should.  There was controversy about that :icon_smile_wink:

Except, there is no debate about correctness of the car in the OP, given that it is obviously incorrect. The car isn't even the correct model, and since the correct model's body style was unique to that model, it obviously isn't the right body style either. In order for there to be a debate about correctness, someone would have to argue that the car is correct in the first place.

Ghoste

I don't think I would call it a caricature.  It's paint and decals which at the very most would make it a customized version of the factory release just like any one of us who strays from the purist view.  The only difference here is that tv exposure leads to a greater number of copies.

MaximRecoil

It was also tastefully done, especially considering it was a product of the late 1970s. Just think what it could have looked like had they followed some of the custom/hotrod trends of the time (and that still exist in some circles); e.g., jacked up in the rear with giant tires and slot mags; hood scoop or blower sticking through the hood; side pipes, airbrushed scenes on the side and/or "groovy" '70s style lettering like you would see on "Schoolhouse Rock", STP and other car product stickers everywhere, antistatic strips dragging from the rear bumper, and so on. 

JB400

I think each person draws a line in which something is done "Good enough."  In other words, it was done to their own satisfaction and with the sole purpose of pleasing themselves.  I doubt that it was the original intentions of the owner to build an accurate representation of a GL from a Coronet/Bee.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 12:08:37 PM
I doubt that it was the original intentions of the owner to build an accurate representation of a GL from a Coronet/Bee.

Are you under the impression that anyone in this thread suggested otherwise?

Lord Warlock

Isn't the road runner a caricature of a tv show?  Personally i'm glad to see some people that aren't afraid to paint the confederate flag on their car and ignore the political correctness of the flag.  

DOH ruined my plans of adding an air horn with the dixie tune,  when i first got my charger I had planned on installing a dixie horn in it, and i had a confederate flag sticker on the rear bumper prior to DOH being aired, but after i saw the show, i shelved the plan as I thought the show itself was kind of hokey with the possible exception of seeing a charger on tv every week.  When i jumped a curb at speed i wasn't trying to emulate doh,  I just didn't see it in time to stop.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 08, 2013, 12:14:12 PM
I doubt that it was the original intentions of the owner to build an accurate representation of a GL from a Coronet/Bee.

Don't flatter yourself.  My statement was a broad one meant to continue on with the discussion and not aimed at anyone in particular.

ws23rt

Every since reply#3  this thread has been about the correctness of general lee replicas.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

Don't flatter yourself.  My statement was a broad one meant to continue on with the discussion and not aimed at anyone in particular.

That doesn't answer the question at all.

By the way, in what way do you believe that I am "flattering myself"? That was a left field comment if ever there was one.

Quote from: ws23rt on September 08, 2013, 12:31:04 PM

Every since reply#3  this thread has been about the correctness of general lee replicas.

Irrelevant. Go ahead and quote where someone in this thread speculated that the owner's original intentions were to build an accurate representation of a GL from a Coronet/Bee.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 07, 2013, 10:30:29 PM
In addition to being on the wrong year and model of car, those numbers on the door have a severe case of anorexia ...

... which is a surprisingly common disorder among homemade General Lee door numbers. It also has another disorder common among homemade General Lee door numbers: scoliosis, which is why the zero's corner angles are bent down to 45 degrees instead of 35 degrees.

This seems to be addressing some issues the owner had regarding correctness. To say that you were speculating as to his intentions is something I cannot say.  Your intentions seem to defy logic :shruggy:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on September 08, 2013, 01:01:34 PM

This seems to be addressing some issues the owner had regarding correctness.

Of course it is, which is still irrelevant.

QuoteTo say that you were speculating as to his intentions is something I cannot say.

Of course you can't say, because you're not psychic and I haven't typed out any such speculation, and neither has anyone else on this thread for that matter.

QuoteYour intentions seem to defy logic :shruggy:

Comical irony. You have replied with irrelevance twice now, and my "intentions seem to defy logic"?

F8-4life

hey its the gen lee! as long as it's a 68-70 b bdy hardtop it looks close enough for "fun". The further in the future we get, the more the average guy can't afford chargers.
It's '13 I mean just owning a 68 coronet is cool enough.
The guys that prioritize the "correctness" will always say something about something not "right".
I expect those guys to roll up in a correct general that is correct down to the shows original standards.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 08, 2013, 12:50:07 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

Don't flatter yourself.  My statement was a broad one meant to continue on with the discussion and not aimed at anyone in particular.

That doesn't answer the question at all.

By the way, in what way do you believe that I am "flattering myself"? That was a left field comment if ever there was one.

I'm sorry that I skipped the yes or no answer.  In reading my statement though, a person can safely imply that I meant "no".  Being that you asked the question, I was under the impression that you believed I was talking to you. Don't flatter yourself was posted so as to not give you credit for my initial response which led you to post your question.

If you consider my comments left field, that's fine.  I consider this one suits some of your posts just fine.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2013, 02:50:31 PM
In reading my statement though, a person can safely imply that I meant "no".

False, but while you're on the topic of implications, the implication of your post was obviously to argue against the idea that the guy had intended to make an accurate General Lee replica, an idea that no one had even raised.

QuoteBeing that you asked the question, I was under the impression that you believed I was talking to you. Don't flatter yourself was posted so as to not give you credit for my initial response which led you to post your question.

What gave you that impression? Note that I asked:

"Are you under the impression that anyone in this thread suggested otherwise?"

Note that I didn't ask:

"Are you under the impression that I suggested otherwise?"

QuoteOn another note, in a response to Fred, you accused me of mimicking you.  Look up the word "mockery" and see if some of my responses fit in that category.  Being that A383wing found it funny, might be further evidence to back up this claim.  It also proves that you're taking this forum way to seriously and maybe even me in general.  If you still think I'm mimicking you, don't flatter yourself.

Mockery in the form of mimicry, when done without understanding, fits the concept of "monkey see, monkey do". From the perspective of anyone who has understanding, it demonstrates the person's inability to understand what they are attempting to mock/mimic. As an analogous example: children often mock (in the form of mimicry) their parents or teachers, and their peers generally think it's hilarious. The parents or teachers may also find it comical, but for an entirely different reason.  

QuoteIf you consider my comments left field, that's fine.

The comment that I said was out of left field, was out of left field; there is no "consider" about it.

QuoteI consider this one suits you just fine.

See above.

Baldwinvette77

JB400

I think issuing a response and continuing this pointless debate that has absolutely nothing to with the original topic with Maxim, is a waste of time.  This makes twice now in the same thread that a hijack has happened.  Sorry again for my involvement.

But, this did back up an earlier claim that I made that was denied :rofl:

ws23rt

I'm starting to miss old Jumper   (Jump Traveler)

Not sure why that came to mind :shruggy:

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on September 08, 2013, 06:36:43 PM

Obviously great minds think alike because I've been thinking the same.  :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

thought I smelled something burning from way over here    :D

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on September 08, 2013, 10:28:19 PM
thought I smelled something burning from way over here    :D

What are you doing way over there Bryan?

Cooter

Ha!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Fred

Quote from: Cooter on September 10, 2013, 06:41:22 PM

Ha!

You could almost get into fisticuffs with him.  :yesnod:

69finder

Is Maximumrecoil the local troll?  He's pretty good at it.