News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans leak, 727.

Started by cudaken, September 08, 2013, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

OK, drove the 68 Road Runner around the block for the first time in 8 years last Friday. There has been some white smoke coming from the right side of the car from the headers. Not a lot so I was hoping it was from junk that had collected over the years.

When Jim and I got here down the driveway and flat Jim, check the ATF in neutral (In Park it showed only a quart low) and she was 2 and a half quarts low. So we topped her off and around the block I went.

Half away around I pulled her down to first and guess I hit around 2000 Rpm's and white smoke started to puke out of the right side of under the car. It had a oily smell so I am guessing it is ATF.

My guess are.

1 Dipstick O ring has failed.

2 Trans pan gasket.

Besides a cracked case, what else is on the passenger side of the 727 that could leak?

If I have to drop the pan, I want to run a cleaner through the 727 first to get any varnish that made have formed out first. Cooter what would you suggest? I will all so drain the converter.

You can see some of the smoke when sitting in this video. When I give some gas you can see it coming up from under the hood on the right side by Allen (41 Husk)

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/She%20Lives/MyThumb_zps99e065e2.mp4.html      

Not a lot and does not seem to be water!

Oh, fluid was still bright red when I checked it and after the first drive.

Thanks for the coming help!  :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

ws23rt

It could be the front seal :shruggy:
I have a 68 sport fury that was doing the same thing so I parked it.  That was 1989.  I will get to it when I can.

Geez that was a lot of help.  Well maybe when you find out what your leak was all about It will help me. :2thumbs:

will

I had the same problem, o-ring. Could also be the neutral switch, it's on that side.

A383Wing

neutral switch is not on passenger side...it's on the drivers side.

cudaken

Quote from: A383Wing on September 08, 2013, 09:11:00 PM
neutral switch is not on passenger side...it's on the drivers side.

That was what I was thinking.

Where is the vent?

Ken
I am back

A383Wing

vent should be on top....but it's been so long since I have seen one, I'm not sure now

firefighter3931

The vent is located inside the bell housing.....when fluid leaks out of the vent it will exit at the bottom of the bell/inspection plate area.  :yesnod:

The seals have contracted over time so maybe with some run time they will come back. Lucas sells a trans conditioner that will also expand the seals so that might be worth a try. Another thing to remember is that trans fluid expands when hot so try and check your level with the engine/trans up to operating temp. I've seen 1 qt difference hot vs cold. You might have overfilled the trans Ken.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Thanks for the answers folks.

Ron, in the video I posted the Road Runner had not moved yet and in park and fully warmed up it was showing a quart low.

I will try some of the Lucas treatment and see what happens.

On the Dipstick Tube O Ring, is a special O Ring, or any type of O ring that fits is fine?  :scratchchin:

Any suggestions on what to flush the trans with if I change the filter?  :shruggy:

Ken
I am back

Road Dog

We talking quarts or pints?
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

cudaken

Have no idea yet, only drove her a 1/4 mile.

Ken
I am back