News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger Registry

Started by dubya, September 27, 2013, 06:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubya

Hello Charger fans. I really liked the 1969 Dodge Charger Registry. Does anybody know what happened to it? The registry was a wealth of information and is sorely missed. Any information on what happened and what the future holds for the registry would be appreciated.

JB400

Ghoste acquired it and it's in the works.  

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

And as an update, I apologize for the delays and beg everyone's patience.  This has been a year of many personal upheavals for me but ultimately they are going to leave me with more time to devote to this and they should all be wrapped up up soon.

dubya

Thanks for the updates! Take care Ghoste - hope everything works out. We all appreciate the fact you have taken this project from Chris who did an outstanding job with the 69 Charger Registry. I really look forward to the new version going live in the very near future.

xs29bb1

dubya

A383Wing

Sixtyeight

Hi,

www.charger.nl is a registry of all Chargers in the Netherlands, for those who are interested...

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RAC95054

Not to be a pest, but any update on when the '69 Registry will be live again?  I miss it!  :cheers:
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Ghoste

I've been starting to get on it just now as a matter of fact.  It will still be a couple of weeks yet and it isn't being a pest because I've been caught up in enough in some personal things lately that reminders are good.

Homerr

Is it possible that each of the existing Charger registry admins could talk amongst yourselves and come up with one unified Charger registry?  Something with multiple admins maybe?

Including and excluding years seems odd.  And a registry with all years could pool better overall data.  Admins could share the workload and not make a registry dependent on a personality or availability of an individual.

Ghoste

Wayne Wooten`s already exists as an overall one but it doesn`t always seem to work well.

Ghoste

Wayne's site hasn't been active since 2009.

dubya

Thanks Ghoste. Really looking forward to the 69 Charger registry coming back!!

TPR

Quote from: Homerr on November 20, 2013, 08:37:42 PM
Is it possible that each of the existing Charger registry admins could talk amongst yourselves and come up with one unified Charger registry?  Something with multiple admins maybe?

Including and excluding years seems odd.  And a registry with all years could pool better overall data.  Admins could share the workload and not make a registry dependent on a personality or availability of an individual.

I reckon this idea would be great, although not understanding all the logistics of what it would take to do this, it may be easier said than done.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Dodge Don

A multi-year Registry really doesn't add any value since there are specific nuances to each year....it is never a comparison of apples to apples. It is hard enough just managing a single Registry (ask Chris 6T9....the effort is not minor). Putting that aside, and our privacy commitment to those who register, having multiple admins all mucking around with a single database is a recipe for disaster.

I'd focus on getting the 69 Charger Registry back in action....and it still defies logic that with so many 68 owners out there why no one has stepped up to create a 68 Charger Registry  :confused:

6pkrtse

Quote from: Dodge Don on November 22, 2013, 07:44:52 AM
A multi-year Registry really doesn't add any value since there are specific nuances to each year....it is never a comparison of apples to apples. It is hard enough just managing a single Registry (ask Chris 6T9....the effort is not minor). Putting that aside, and our privacy commitment to those who register, having multiple admins all mucking around with a single database is a recipe for disaster.

I'd focus on getting the 69 Charger Registry back in action....and it still defies logic that with so many 68 owners out there why no one has stepped up to create a 68 Charger Registry  :confused:

So true. so surprised how so many 68' owners sware the 68' was the  best year of the charger, with the 69 owners a close second that their year is the best but then go looks at us 70' owners on the registry & you can see the devotion and the fact that our 70' year is truely the best year.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

hawkeye

Quote from: 6pkrtse on November 22, 2013, 11:26:09 AM

So true. so surprised how so many 68' owners sware the 68' was the  best year of the charger, with the 69 owners a close second that their year is the best but then go looks at us 70' owners on the registry & you can see the devotion and the fact that our 70' year is truely the best year.

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

JB400

Quote from: 6pkrtse on November 22, 2013, 11:26:09 AM

I'd focus on getting the 69 Charger Registry back in action....and it still defies logic that with so many 68 owners out there why no one has stepped up to create a 68 Charger Registry  :confused:

So true. so surprised how so many 68' owners sware the 68' was the  best year of the charger, with the 69 owners a close second that their year is the best but then go looks at us 70' owners on the registry & you can see the devotion and the fact that our 70' year is truely the best year.

I will say the 70 Registry is pretty good, and would make a great template for the 69 Registry.  But, I wouldn't say that makes one year better than any other year based solely on the Registries.

Besides, 69's are the best.  Get your facts straight :slap:

6pkrtse

I love them all & have owned them all (68-70). I actually preferred the 69 most of my life but 70 had many of the better factory options. Now that I have owned several I lean more towards the 70'. My goal someday is to have all 3 years at once. Then life will be complete........
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 6pkrtse on November 22, 2013, 11:43:33 AM
I love them all & have owned them all (68-70). I actually preferred the 69 most of my life but 70 had many of the better factory options. Now that I have owned several I lean more towards the 70'. My goal someday is to have all 3 years at once. Then life will be complete........

Yeah, right...   :rofl:

Homerr

Hi Don (and others),

I don't want to make more work for you but I disagree to a point.  The creation of a 68 registry will be another new 'from scratch' endeavor by someone, in some other database format.  Unless the 69 or 70 registry is copied, stripped of info, and sent along to a new 68 admin to use as a template.  I don't know the history of how each of the databases started, this may have already happened for the existing ones.

But isn't sharing work and being able to take a break a good long-term goal?  And to release the one caretaker of the registry from the responsibility of letting it live beyond paying a domain fee, personal quirks, time commitments, or even mortality?  I've done this myself for a web-based community of about 400 active users, it was odd giving up control but also a huge relief.

If a multi-year registry with multiple admins goes live then count me in for a pledge of $100 to help out.

And there could be several benefits if someone with a little programming knowledge stepped up.  I'd love to have some interaction with a multi-year registry, without compromising anyone's personal info of course.  I'd like to see how many are registered by engine type, trans, color, interior, and various options.  How many are in my area - by state maybe, or county, or zip?  Be nice to look up a specific VIN and get a 'yes' or 'no' that it is in the registry, regardless of year.

As for apples, oranges, and pears - it would be nice to see a community of Chargers represented instead of a patchwork by year.   

All for your consideration...

FastbackJon

You make some valid points Homerr, but I don't currently see us going the route with one big multi-year Registry. This is coming from the founder of the 1966-67 Charger Registry.

As for histories, I founded the 1966-67 database/registry in 2003 to keep on top of all the cars that were coming across on eBay. I setup a registration and display site to also gather submissions. Yes, Wayne Wooten's multi-year registry was out there, but he was a super busy guy and didn't make the aggregated data very well available. He had to focus on all years, which made his endeavor all the more time intensive. He did have a newsletter and some great Charger meets across the country.

I wanted to see more aggregated and in-depth data for the 1966-67 years. Such as when did they change over from the one type of dash gauges to the other in 1966. Or from the one type of sway bar to the other in the same year. And how do the serial numbers match up with build dates, what is the most common interior/exterior color combinations and how many quirky ones were made (yellow with a green interior or blue with a red interior??) fun stuff like that. And I wanted to display the data to the public without listing full VINs or owner/address information. I used the example of the Challenger T/A and AAR Cuda registry websites where they had listing pages showing the registered vehicles in a table with pictures.

The 1969 and 1970 guys saw the same need and followed suit, and did well in their own ways, even providing services that the 1966-67 Registry does not.

Back to the point, and as others have said, these years are all different. For example, the fender tags are different between 1966 and 1967 even. They are different from '67 to '68 and again from '68 to '69 and from '69 to '70, etc. The more differences you add, the more complicated it becomes. I'm happy to share how I run things with the 1966-67 Charger Registry and even sent Ghoste a big long email regarding it at his request (and you can call me too Ghoste). I just don't see the benefit in "combining" registries as even within the 1966-67 Charger Registry, it's really two distinct registries. Everything is separated out by year into two lists, two sets of folders for pictures, etc.

Regarding the programming knowledge, I have that, and have built the interaction you suggest into the 1966-67 Charger Registry to be able to narrow down to different types of registered vehicles based on how they were built. You can do this on the listing pages and also on the map page. There are breakdowns at the bottom of each listing page showing how many with each engine/trans along with the color combinations, how many are in each state, etc. I'm happy to talk with other Registry caretakers about how to do this as well.

You will never see a search form where you can put in a VIN and find if a vehicle is registered, because this is just a backwards way to get VINs of vehicles. One could sit there and guess at Hemi VINs until they found one for example. You can though, typically provide a VIN with some documentation to the Registry caretakers, and they can look for it in the database and add it if it is missing.

Even though we "run" the Registries, I can never thank you all enough, as it is your support and interest and even discussions like these that really keeps them going.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV