News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger Registry

Started by dubya, September 27, 2013, 06:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

You make some valid points Homerr, but I don't currently see us going the route with one big multi-year Registry. This is coming from the founder of the 1966-67 Charger Registry.

As for histories, I founded the 1966-67 database/registry in 2003 to keep on top of all the cars that were coming across on eBay. I setup a registration and display site to also gather submissions. Yes, Wayne Wooten's multi-year registry was out there, but he was a super busy guy and didn't make the aggregated data very well available. He had to focus on all years, which made his endeavor all the more time intensive. He did have a newsletter and some great Charger meets across the country.

I wanted to see more aggregated and in-depth data for the 1966-67 years. Such as when did they change over from the one type of dash gauges to the other in 1966. Or from the one type of sway bar to the other in the same year. And how do the serial numbers match up with build dates, what is the most common interior/exterior color combinations and how many quirky ones were made (yellow with a green interior or blue with a red interior??) fun stuff like that. And I wanted to display the data to the public without listing full VINs or owner/address information. I used the example of the Challenger T/A and AAR Cuda registry websites where they had listing pages showing the registered vehicles in a table with pictures.

The 1969 and 1970 guys saw the same need and followed suit, and did well in their own ways, even providing services that the 1966-67 Registry does not.

Back to the point, and as others have said, these years are all different. For example, the fender tags are different between 1966 and 1967 even. They are different from '67 to '68 and again from '68 to '69 and from '69 to '70, etc. The more differences you add, the more complicated it becomes. I'm happy to share how I run things with the 1966-67 Charger Registry and even sent Ghoste a big long email regarding it at his request (and you can call me too Ghoste). I just don't see the benefit in "combining" registries as even within the 1966-67 Charger Registry, it's really two distinct registries. Everything is separated out by year into two lists, two sets of folders for pictures, etc.

Regarding the programming knowledge, I have that, and have built the interaction you suggest into the 1966-67 Charger Registry to be able to narrow down to different types of registered vehicles based on how they were built. You can do this on the listing pages and also on the map page. There are breakdowns at the bottom of each listing page showing how many with each engine/trans along with the color combinations, how many are in each state, etc. I'm happy to talk with other Registry caretakers about how to do this as well.

You will never see a search form where you can put in a VIN and find if a vehicle is registered, because this is just a backwards way to get VINs of vehicles. One could sit there and guess at Hemi VINs until they found one for example. You can though, typically provide a VIN with some documentation to the Registry caretakers, and they can look for it in the database and add it if it is missing.

Even though we "run" the Registries, I can never thank you all enough, as it is your support and interest and even discussions like these that really keeps them going.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV