News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona/500 question.

Started by dads_69, March 02, 2006, 02:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

Does anyone repo that small rear bumper cover piece that covers the rear bumper, its mounted/riveted to the side of the quarter panel. It looks to be made out of aluminum since it is not painted. Photo of the area of where it covers.
Thanks Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dads_69

Heres what I'm looking at. I have seen where the part isn't as wrapped around also. Easy to make yes, but I was just wondering if someone makes these.
Thanks Mark

BigBlockSam

ooooooooooooooooh, I've never seen that piece before
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 02, 2006, 05:23:41 PM
ooooooooooooooooh, I've never seen that piece before

:iagree:           :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

I've only seen that done on the race cars, are you making a race car replica?

Being a race car only kinda deal, I would imagine each racing team made their own...maybe.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dads_69

Not building a race car replica, just wondering how it would look, I would hold it up close after I had them to compare. A guy I work with remebers them on cars back in the day, the race cars, and we were wondering if any are around, the covers that is. When the ice unthawls from my backyard an get my car in the garage, I'll be able to make some then if I deside to use them.
Mark

hemigeno

That piece was fabbed by the individual race teams.  Not every Charger/Daytona had that done to their car, it depended on the crew chief - but most of them put that piece on there.  I have pictures of the #3 Don White, #5 Buddy Arrington and the #8 Bobby Watson Daytonas without a similar fairing.

Some were installed very neatly (and many teams painted theirs), some were just pop-riveted rather crudely in place.  Again, it depended on the team.  That trick was around before the Charger 500 or Daytona was put on the track, although I can't say exactly when it was introduced.  I suppose NASCAR required a stock rear bumper, and the teams were trying to keep the corners from "catching air" at high speeds.

If you wanted to add one to a 500 or Daytona, I don't think you'd have to use aluminum - although that would work fine.  Some of the pictures I have look like those farings are nothing more than sheet metal scraps.

dads_69

Thanks Geno. That white 68' with the red accents from Sema Car Show has them, I can't locate the photos of it, but I  rem' seeing them on it.
Mark

hemigeno

Mark,
That was the car that had an oval-track theme to it, right?  In that case it would be a perfect complement.  Apart from an application like that though, it might look out of place - but perhaps that's just me.  My opinion shouldn't keep someone from doing what they want to with their car.

I got to looking at some of my other old racecar pictures just now.  I saw on some cars with front bumpers (RRunners & Chargers) where the teams filled in the gaps between the front fenders and the front bumpers as well - probably to try and smooth airflow.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dads_69 on March 02, 2006, 07:21:48 PM
Thanks Geno. That white 68' with the red accents from Sema Car Show has them, I can't locate the photos of it, but I  rem' seeing them on it.
Mark
Here it is. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dads_69

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 02, 2006, 11:03:13 PM
Quote from: dads_69 on March 02, 2006, 07:21:48 PM
Thanks Geno. That white 68' with the red accents from Sema Car Show has them, I can't locate the photos of it, but IĀ  rem' seeing them on it.
Mark
Here it is. :)

Sweet, thanks man. Thats what I've been looking for. I like that style vs. what I pictured earlier.
Mark