News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Status of my Daytona Build

Started by panhead, September 30, 2013, 05:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhead

Last ones for now...

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

DAY CLONA

Well that kind of blows Curt, but hey shit happens, fortunately your car is black, so a repaint of the roof should match well, FWIW I would avoid trying to blend a paint line at the C pillar, instead I would backtape along the top of the rear qtr's top edge, and hard tape the stripe edge, and tape off the front black painted portion of the decklid in front of the stripe, then reshoot the roof/plug/dutchman area along with the tops of the qtrs, then the only "line blending" would be the soft backtaped edge on the qtrs top line, actually you could blend it by hand polishing, just a thought...

I would repaint the area inside the pink line

Mike

DAY CLONA

Then you'd only have to blend in this backtaped soft edge on the qtrs hard edge body line, much easier than achieving a blend at the C pillars

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 11, 2017, 11:10:29 AM
Well that kind of blows Curt, but hey shit happens, fortunately your car is black, so a repaint of the roof should match well, FWIW I would avoid trying to blend a paint line at the C pillar, instead I would backtape along the top of the rear qtr's top edge, and hard tape the stripe edge, and tape off the front black painted portion of the decklid in front of the stripe, then reshoot the roof/plug/dutchman area along with the tops of the qtrs, then the only "line blending" would be the soft backtaped edge on the qtrs top line, actually you could blend it by hand polishing, just a thought...

I would repaint the area inside the pink line

Mike

That is the plan at this time, But I will extend it to the base of the A-pillars as I removed all the seam sealer and I'll also be removing the quarter stripes as one is not centered(not by my hand) this way I can go down the hole top edge the quarter as you stated.

Thanks for the insight  :2thumbs:
Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 11, 2017, 11:17:42 AM
Then you'd only have to blend in this backtaped soft edge on the qtrs hard edge body line, much easier than achieving a blend at the C pillars

I totally agree!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

panhead

Good afternoon folks

The roof skin is in place and is ready for body work,(again :brickwall:) and the quarter stripes removed. That's all I have for now...

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Good day folks,

After getting the roof skin installed, I though that I'd better check to make sure the rear glass still fits, and accurse not. The window was to tight, so I decided to cut out the upper half and start over. This time I fitted all the pieces and now everything fits, with the exception of the trim which is a little tight, but I have a fix in the works... Thanks to moparchris!!

Curt     
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Good day folks,

Well, I have the trim peace's (thanks moparchris) fitted in the surround. Next thing was to fit the new AMD rear glass and it fits as well. Now it's body work time again. :icon_smile_blackeye: Ready for round two!!!

Curt   
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

And one with the AMD rear window...
69' Dodge Charger 500

DAY CLONA

Looks good Curt, did you use the AMD rear window trim, or modify stock 68-70 pcs?

Mike

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 14, 2018, 09:11:16 AM
Looks good Curt, did you use the AMD rear window trim, or modify stock 68-70 pcs?

Mike

Thank you sir,
I used the AMD trim set, It was a little tight at the along the lower corners so I made a relief cut and tapped them out a bit.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Well it's been a while,but here's where I'm at. Getting ready for the next step.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

chargervert

Curt,you are making great progress considering that you had to redo the roof and part of the window plug after the car was painted!  I'm sure that it was a tough decision to dig back into it,but the longevity you will gain by doing this will definitely pay off. I  bought this Daytona stock car clone that I  am building, and I have been undoing the hack job that was done to the body, by someone who was trying to turn it into a Fast and Furious Daytona wannabe. They butchered the hood, doors, fenders and the rear window plug.  The plug was a very nice piece made by Mike at Dayclona, but a previous owner hacked it trying to make the glass flush.  They distorted it badly, and it will have to be replaced.  At least the car was not painted yet. I have a friend that is going to make a new window plug for it. The shop that built my car did amazing work, but one of the owners hacked the body badly.  I am sure that it was a tough decision to redo the roof of your car,but it looks great,and you will always be glad that you did what had to be done.

Birdflu

Seems like these old cars require the 'two steps forward...one step backward' philosophy in order to get them done correctly with the parts available today. Great job on the repair!  :2thumbs:

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

kevs1969daytona

love it   :drool5:, mine is about to be painted black as well, but will paint the wing hemi orange and paint he drums Red. What color is your wing going to be ?

alfaitalia

....nice.....but I think I would want the drums and wing to match or be very different colours to each other ....especially where they are red and orange. To the unknowing onlooker they are going to think it just a paint mismatch!! Im just too anal I guess!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

panhead

Quote from: held1823 on July 23, 2018, 08:49:24 PM
looking good, my friend

Thank you sir,
hopefully yours is moving along as well. It's moving slowly, but what I do today is that much less I have to do tomorrow.   :2thumbs:

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on July 23, 2018, 10:51:45 PM
love it   :drool5:, mine is about to be painted black as well, but will paint the wing hemi orange and paint he drums Red. What color is your wing going to be ?

I'm going red.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Quote from: Birdflu on July 23, 2018, 01:01:12 PM
Seems like these old cars require the 'two steps forward...one step backward' philosophy in order to get them done correctly with the parts available today. Great job on the repair!  :2thumbs:

Thank you, and yes unfortunately your right.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Quote from: chargervert on July 23, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
Curt,you are making great progress considering that you had to redo the roof and part of the window plug after the car was painted!  I'm sure that it was a tough decision to dig back into it,but the longevity you will gain by doing this will definitely pay off. I  bought this Daytona stock car clone that I  am building, and I have been undoing the hack job that was done to the body, by someone who was trying to turn it into a Fast and Furious Daytona wannabe. They butchered the hood, doors, fenders and the rear window plug.  The plug was a very nice piece made by Mike at Dayclona, but a previous owner hacked it trying to make the glass flush.  They distorted it badly, and it will have to be replaced.  At least the car was not painted yet. I have a friend that is going to make a new window plug for it. The shop that built my car did amazing work, but one of the owners hacked the body badly.  I am sure that it was a tough decision to redo the roof of your car,but it looks great,and you will always be glad that you did what had to be done.

Thank you sir
It wasn't to hard of a decision, just had to make it right. My car was a vinyl top car and if I had a half a brain I should have replaced the roof skin then. But as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Good day folks,

Well the wet sanding is complete, I finished with 3000. Next is buffing. One step closer. 

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

Good day folks,

Well, I competed the buffing and now I'm going to let it set for a awhile so it can finish gassing off. I think it turned out okay being this is my first time doing paint and body. If I haven't said it before, I will say now, I have a new found respect for the guys that do this for a living :cheers:
Enjoy.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

panhead

69' Dodge Charger 500