News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fred's Birds

Started by Fred, October 05, 2013, 02:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

:2thumbs:  do you get the currawongs

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

XH29N0G

Fred,

Could you include some sound effects with some of these, too?  I have only been to Australia a few times, but what struck me was all the weird sounds those birds make.  The warding (raven?) sounds wreaked havoc with my jet lagged family.  We were half awake and had no idea what was making that sound.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Fred

Yes, that's one behind the king. They're really quite tame. Will take the bread out of your hand.  Love their haunting call.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

polywideblock

my father had a "tame" wild one that would sit on his arm and take pieces on sausage out of his hand (no biting) they know when your not going to hurt them    :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Fred

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 19, 2013, 08:20:05 PM
Fred,

Could you include some sound effects with some of these, too?  I have only been to Australia a few times, but what struck me was all the weird sounds those birds make.  The warding (raven?) sounds wreaked havoc with my jet lagged family.  We were half awake and had no idea what was making that sound.

If you think our bird calls a strange XH you need to get out in the bush (or just our back yard for that matter) at night and listen to a possum calling. When we first moved up here from the suburbs, I walked around the place in the dark when all of a sudden I heard this noise.....a sound I'd never heard before.......it sounded like a wild, BIG cat.......it scared the stuffing out of me. I had nothing to protect myself with so I hightailed it back inside and told the wife about it. Imagine how foolish I felt when we found out it was just possums calling out to one another. Here was me thinking I was going to be some wild animals dinner!

Fred

Quote from: polywideblock on October 19, 2013, 08:33:38 PM
my father had a "tame" wild one that would sit on his arm and take pieces on sausage out of his hand (no biting) they know when your not going to hurt them    :yesnod:

Yes, on the whole they're mainly here in Autumn and are pretty timid but we have a pair that are with us all year round. They seem to have made the bush beyond our backyard their home. And they've known us for some years now. They come for a feed when food is in short supply. Which seems to be every day at the moment ha ha!! and are not afraid of us.

XH29N0G

I'll put that on my to do list.  Don't know when I will make it back to your side of the world though.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Fred

This one's following me all around the house going from window to window just hanging on the frame. (I'm inside)

moparsr2fast

Nosy little critter.  Cats would love your home  :smilielol:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Fred

Yes it would be a smorgasbord alright. Fortunately the dogs keep them at bay.

burnout.dawg

Aww ... C'est l'amour!

Fred

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Fred on November 15, 2013, 09:44:20 PM
This one's following me all around the house going from window to window just hanging on the frame. (I'm inside)
Have you ever seen the movie Birds?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Fred

Yes, it's one of Erika's favourites.
When we first moved to this place there were a couple of currawongs hanging around so Erika got some bread and went to feed them. (we were only just getting to know some of these birds.........don't see them in the suburbs). Next minute there was another and another and then still more and more and more. In the end there must have been around 60 birds all at her feet. It was the time of year they come through and it got pretty intense because they were all flying at her to try to get a feed and she was a bit concerned that one of them might accidently hit her in the eye with it's beak.  That was definitely a bit of a "The Birds" moment except for the fact they weren't attacking to kill. But we did decide it would be safer to come inside until they cleared off. She did have to slide her feet along the ground for fear of treading on them.
Now we just have our resident pair and their young (we seem to have a pair of everything lol) that have made our place their home and we don't feed the ones that are just passing through.

Mopar Nut

It's one of mine too by Alfred Hitchcock, I remember watching it when it first came out in 1963.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Fred

Were you young enough to be scared or old enough to take it in your stride?

Erika has it on dvd, it's her favourite A. H. movie.

Mopar Nut

I was too young to be scared and enjoyed eating Chicken after that much better.    :icon_smile_big:

Fred

Mopar Nut

Never too old to be scared.

JB400

I never have found that movie to be scary. :shruggy:

Fred

We don't think it's scary either, just good entertainment.

Fred

Fred

This is what kookas do on a hot day. They just kind of luff up their feathers, loll their heads to he side and open their beaks.

Fred

Just took this. Thought it was rather cute with the King perched in the middle. And thought the contrast was rather nice.

Fred

This King is without tail. Don't know how he lost it but he's been like that for a few years now so I'm guessing tail feathers don't grow back.
He looks funny when he's flying.