News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Frame Rail Question

Started by RIDGERACER383, October 17, 2013, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

My 68 needs some frame rail repair at the very end of the rails about 1 - 1 1/2 feet forward.I was looking at frame rails and I can only find the long ones..Do they make just the very ends of the frame rails?
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Canadian1968

Your not giving us to much info!

Front or rear rail?? I am gonna guess your talking about the rear frame, and I am gonna guess you are talking about the end under the trunk floor ??

They do sell these pieces at http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home
You can get caps or replacement that will run from rear of car to half way over the axle.

RIDGERACER383

I was was talking the the rear.I only need about a foot for the repair I need to do.I did find some on eBay for $180 a side.

Dmichels

if it is only a foot cut and make your own save the $$ and DIY
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

Mike DC

Somebody used to sell a patch-rail that gave you the last 2-3 feet of it.  I don't know if it's still out there for sale or not.  

It was around before AMD started repopping the whole rail.

People used to transplant that rear portion of the rails from donor cars all the time, back when you could still find cheap '66-70 B-body donor cars with solid rear subframe rails.  Nowadays people like to sell the entire rear subframes/rails intact when they can find them.  

RIDGERACER383

I only have the issue with the rear and a 2 inch just hole on each end of my tranny mount frame area which I want to patch.

areibel

http://www.autorust.com/chart-b.html

These guys were the first to make repair sections (if you scroll over the chart you can see what sections light up).
I'm not sure though if they're actual replacements or caps that you weld over existing?  I remember they advertised their T bar crossmember repair was a slide over piece, but I've never used them.

Dino

Get the same gauge steel and make them yourself.  It's easy and not more work than buying a patch piece.  Those things always need modification to fit anyway.

Get me some detailed pics of the damage and I'll tell you what to do.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nvrbdn

pictures too. i want to see this take place. thats the fun part to see someone do the repairs. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RIDGERACER383

What gauge metal is the frame rails?

Mike DC

It depends on what part of the car. 

I think it's something around .065" for the front/rear sub rails.  Those are really not very thick.   

The tranny crossmember matches 14-guage steel.  It's a bit thicker than the front/rear sub rails.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RIDGERACER383

nvrbdn

i picked up some rear sections of frame new for a pretty cheap price for my cougar. much cheaper than i have seen the b body frames going for. if the frame is basically the same size shape and gauge, maybe look for just frame rail patch pieces for anything else and see if they would work. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RIDGERACER383

I'll try to post some pictures up tomorrow..I have some brake lines to make so ill have it on jack stands.